cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sold an item, and the buyer sent a cheap item through Amazon back, then used the tracking number

So the gist is I sold a gopro on Ebay for $270.  Buyer got it but said there was something wrong with it.  It was fine when I used it last, but after a bit of back and forth, I agree to take a return.  I buy the Ebay return label, and don't hear a thing for a week.  In addition to the label never being used.

During that week, I receive a package of a cheap calculator from Amazon that I didn't order.  I call them up, and they say someone gifted it to me, but won't tell me who.

A few days later, I get a claims or whatever from Ebay saying the buyer sent the item, that I received it, and that they are refunding the buyer.  

I never received the item, so I email Ebay customer service (since the whatever complaint ticket is already closed and I can't respond to it.)  Ebay customer service says they have a tracking that the item was delivered and gives me the tracking number.  And of course the tracking number provided is the Amazon "gift" tracking number.  

So I have emailed customer service and tell them what happened, and they say to send in a declaration that I did not receive it, which I do through the automated system.  here I think everything is going well.

Now fast forward a few days, and Ebay says they didn't receive the declaration and again favor the buyer.  I also notice that this is under a different SR number than the one I originally sent.

I again send all the information, and they keep going back to the tracking number shows it was delivered.  Now I'm on at least 4 SR numbers, which I listed to them, I've talked to a few different people via email, and none of them seems to want to look at anything but the tracking number and say it was delivered.  

Am I screwed?  Is this how eBay works and rewards scammers?

Message 1 of 80
latest reply
79 REPLIES 79

Sold an item, and the buyer sent a cheap item through Amazon back, then used the tracking number

To me the solution is to not offer any returns. I have had several returns in which the items were in OK condition, but the returns were just buyer's remorse (or buyer's stupidity, inability to read the listing, etc.)  You end up wasting a lot of time dealing with this as a seller, not to mention that you are out of $$ even if you say buyer pays return shipping-then ebay makes a decision to refund them for their return shipping and just takes it out of your bank account.  Reading this whole thread is leaving a bad taste in my mouth and has me wondering:  why am I wasting my precious time on ebay, again?

Message 76 of 80
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

eBay provides a label for domestic remorse returns.  The buyer pays for it and prints it.

Good to know, thank you!!!

eBay is rolling out QR codes that can be scanned at the USPS counter. 

Is this procedure only for prepaid labels? That would require a buyer have a smartphone AND a trip to the PO? 

Yes, it is for pre-paid labels ... non-prepaid is Retail at the Counter.

The buyer could either print the label themselves or take the QR code to the Post Office.  The QR code can be used from a smartphone or it could be printed and scanned (but if you can print the QR code,why not just print the label?)

For buyers who "can't print a label", this is (will be) the alternative.

Right now, whenever a buyer says they can't print a label, the advice is "find someone who can print it for you".  When this is rolled out, the advice is "take the code to the Post Office or find someone who can print it for you"

What would be really cool, IMO ... for sellers who offer free returns ... the ability to have the return QR code printed on the Packing Slip.

As for "requiring a buyer to have a smartphone" ... 96% of all Americans have a cell phone of some type. 81% of them are smartphones.

https://www.pewresearch.org/internet/fact-sheet/mobile/

My husband is a holdout ... he's still using a slider (with the full qwerty keyboard LOL) ... but he can still receive pictures on it.  The screen is small, but he can see them.  Big enough for a QR code.

My 80 year old mother got a smartphone last year ... she was the last one of her friends to do so.  Her bestie (my "Aunt") has been bugging her to get one for years 🙂

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 77 of 80
latest reply

Unfortunately refusing returns won't protect a seller because all a buyer with buyer's remorse or a scammer wanting a free item has to do to get around that seller policy is claim that the item is not as described and Ebay will make the seller accept a return.

Message 78 of 80
latest reply

@Brian@ebay  @zuked Why is no one looking at the fact that the return tracking didn't originate from the same zip code as to where it was originally shipped?? 

If it was shipped to 12345 and the return was shipped from 56789, it should be flagged as possible fraud.  12346 and 12349 is one thing, but some other state is a huge red flag.

We're required to ship to zip on record, so we know you're bot checking zip codes. 

Message 79 of 80
latest reply

This scam just happened to me. I sold an iPhone XS, the buyer returned an item that came from Amazon, which contained  a package of #2 pencils.. Ebay closed the return case and refunded the buyer. I called and opened a case with Ebay, but they say it takes 72 hours to get any information back. Can anyone offer any help on this? Is Ebay aware of the scam now?

Thanks

Message 80 of 80
latest reply