cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sold Item and offers from other Buyers

I sold an item for $14.  After the sale I was Offered $60 for that item.  I explained that it had been sold and paid, but I could tell the buyer of their interest. Offer buyer then offered $100 and told me I can cancel the item at any time and didn't I want the most for the item?  I mailed the item to original bidder.  Offer bidder seems angry, and has purchased from me once before.  This is distressing!  With permission I will give my buyer her IDentity.   Is it true that I could cancel a sale for a higher offer?  Personally I do not think it is but I'd like to know.  Seems wrong.  Jane  

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Sold Item and offers from other Buyers

This happened to me one time.  I listed an item $150.00 BIN and within minutes it sold and then moments after it sold I got a frantic message from a guy offering me $300.  (He wanted it because it was connected to his family.)  I did the same as you, I went ahead and honored the original $150 purchase but I did ask the buyer if he was going to keep it or resell it because I had someone else that was willing to pay more and if he was buying it for resale, I would put them in touch with each other to work out any details.  He said he bought it to keep so that was that.

I didn't even consider cancelling the sale and selling to the higher offer.  It wouldn't have been fair to the original buyer and even though I "lost" money, it would not have been ethical for me to do so.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

No.... Once an item is sold it is SOLD.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Thank you.  I am worried at the anger and even thinking of blocking a good buyer.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@connorsvilleschool - Im not sure that anger at you and telling you to cancel a sale is a good buyer.

I am 100% sure I would add this "buyer" to my favorites list. BBL here she comes!

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

It goes to the first buyer.

Canceling an auction you will get charged fees even though you cancel the auction. Can never cancel an auction once it has bids. You will still be charged a fee by eBay.

Blocking the buyer is a hard decision. Depends how well your items sell. If they sell well I don't think you need this buyer.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

10 or more eeeek characters!

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

This happened to me one time.  I listed an item $150.00 BIN and within minutes it sold and then moments after it sold I got a frantic message from a guy offering me $300.  (He wanted it because it was connected to his family.)  I did the same as you, I went ahead and honored the original $150 purchase but I did ask the buyer if he was going to keep it or resell it because I had someone else that was willing to pay more and if he was buying it for resale, I would put them in touch with each other to work out any details.  He said he bought it to keep so that was that.

I didn't even consider cancelling the sale and selling to the higher offer.  It wouldn't have been fair to the original buyer and even though I "lost" money, it would not have been ethical for me to do so.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@connorsvilleschool wrote:

With permission I will give my buyer her IDentity.   

That's the most that I would do. Let your buyer contact that other person directly if your buyer feels like it, but otherwise your buyer should remain anonymous to the other person, and the sale is concluded.

@connorsvilleschool wrote:

Is it true that I could cancel a sale for a higher offer?

No.

I assume we're talking about vintage sewing patterns here, which I don't think is a high-scam area, so your third party's interest is probably genuine, but a sale is a sale; you snooze, you lose, etc. Your interested party will no doubt learn to check your listings more often. I would stop responding to that person. If they persist, add them to your Blocked Buyer List to avoid future headaches.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I would honor the original bidders bid and send it to them.

I would not get the original bidder involved in this at all. I wouldn't tell the offer buyer who won the bid, or would I give the original bidder the offer buyers contact info.

You know nothing about either of them, other than they have both made a purchase from you.

You completed your end of the deal by shipping the item to the winning bidder. Transaction closed for that item, don't complicate your life by trying to hook up two ebay shoppers you know nothing about.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

There is nothing to discuss here. Once an item is sold it is sold. You ship to the original buyer. You don't ask any questions about what they plan to do with it or try to negotiate a deal from the winning bidder to give it to the new offer. I won't even respond to the new offer or a suggestion I cancel the sold order. That person would go on my blocked list. As a seller, integrity matters. Those who don't have any integrity get in trouble here a lot. 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I am not even sure what ebay's policy is as far as sharing contact information, between two past customers.

I don't think ebay would look at it as a good thing to do though, because that is one reason ebay began blocking winning bidders user ids years ago from the rest of the community.

When ebay first started years ago, we could see every user id of any winning bid on the site. After a few years, ebay began hiding them however, probably due to this exact thing. After sale contacts to winning bidders by third party members I'm sure happened all the time back then. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

It's probably a SCAM.

You would be encouraged to take the sale off eBay and sent fake confirmation of payments. Or paid with a stolen credit card.

Offer bidder seems angry,

Yeah. Block and no communication.

Scam or no, angry people are never good customers.

BTW- they may not be your previous customer but a hijacker.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@gb58 wrote:

I am not even sure what ebay's policy is as far as sharing contact information, between two past customers. 

I'm sure they frown on it. There are exceptional circumstances, such as if a seller accidentally sends two shipments to the wrong customers, and both recipients are willing to send the items to each other, something like that, but that's rare.

@gb58 wrote:

I don't think ebay would look at it as a good thing to do though, because that is one reason ebay began blocking winning bidders user ids years ago from the rest of the community. 

Yes, this interested party is being blocked for exactly that reason, and is hoping to do an end run around that by persuading the seller to cancel the first sale.

@gb58 wrote:

When ebay first started years ago, we could see every user id of any winning bid on the site. After a few years, ebay began hiding them however, probably due to this exact thing. After sale contacts to winning bidders by third party members I'm sure happened all the time back then. 

Ohhhh, yeah, they certainly did. Auction winners would receive fake invoices demanding that their payment had to be sent to some other account, or messages telling them to cancel because the item was a fake, or warnings that the seller was a scammer, etc. It was a bit of a circus sometimes.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

With privacy laws and the way people can snap over anything now a days, your best to walk away and stop communications. If nothing else just Tell them your Integrity is worth more than people can pay. 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply