cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Security Number

eBay wants my social security number after years of being on here without it. There's no way around it, so I guess I just won't sell on ebay. I hate giving out such sensitive info, and just having it out there on some server somewhere for the next 20 years. I don't trust ebay not to get hacked and loose my personal and banking(!) information. And when someone steals my identity I know dam well they won't help an ounce. So annoying.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Social Security Number

You gave it to Paypal, so what's the issue? FYI, it goes to Ayden. It's a federal law for payment processors.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Social Security Number

@retsbor10-3 wrote:

eBay wants my social security number after years of being on here without it. There's no way around it, so I guess I just won't sell on ebay. 

eBay does not "want" your SSN.

As a payment processor, Managed Payments is required by law to report your SSN with your 1099K if they determine at the end of the year that one is required. 

If you used PayPal to sell on eBay in the past, you had to give your SSN to them as well. They started asking for it around 2010. 

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Social Security Number

Many 'on line' venues available out there for sellers require it.  Only advertising on venues with local pickup work around this (like CL). Although giving it to 'another' venue, know that your SS# is on computers for every insurance company and banking/cc company you've ever dealt with (even 'old' ones). 

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Social Security Number

Your choice.  Of course, PayPal already has your SSN.  As do any insurance companies, banks, brokers, investment firms, and escrow companies you've ever dealt with.

If you had Medicare prior to a couple of years ago, your SSN is still in your medical records because your SSN was your Medicare ID number.

If you were a college or university student prior to a few years ago, your SSN was probably used as your student ID and is still in all your records.

If you sell on any of the other major venues, your SSN will be required for the same reason eBay now requires it (as a payment processor).

And, of course, multiple government agencies, federal and state and local, have your SSN and a great number of them have systems and servers less secure than many private / commercial ones.

Nevertheless, you should wind up your business here, since eBay is not among those you want to have your SSN and that is absolutely your choice.

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Social Security Number

Yeah,  just go to a car swap meet and your problem with ebay will be solved.  You have mostly car related listings.

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Social Security Number

lies  🙄

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Social Security Number

paypel has  it 🙄  paypel has it  you gave  it too paypel paypel has it  paypel 

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

Social Security Number

@retsbor10-3 wrote:

eBay wants my social security number after years of being on here without it. There's no way around it, so I guess I just won't sell on ebay. I hate giving out such sensitive info, and just having it out there on some server somewhere for the next 20 years. I don't trust ebay not to get hacked and loose my personal and banking(!) information. And when someone steals my identity I know dam well they won't help an ounce. So annoying.

Your bank has it; they've probably been hacked more often than eBay has. 

The Federal Government has it; I KNOW they've been hacked more often than eBay has.

Credit agencies have it; again, hacked more times than eBay.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Social Security Number

Bad education on eBay's part getting people over to MP. Yes, people gave SS to PP but some could be as long 25 years ago and may have forgot.

Also, the interface to sign up for MP looks a lot like phishing site with zero explanation of why things are being collected, how it's being used, or protected.

Consumers have been taught to be leery of SS # requests. eBay should be well aware of that and figured out how to make people comfortable.

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

Social Security Number

Doesn't anyone search for similar topics. There are easily dozens of posts like this! Your complaint will not change anything. You either need to get on board or jump off.

Folks don't realize how many businesses have your SSN. Every credit card company you've ever signed up with, any bank you've had an account at, your utility providers, your insurance, your doctors! They ALL have online presence and can be hacked. It's the unfortunate reality of today. Sorry.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

Social Security Number

just ran into the same issue, I sold maybe eon avg 2 items a year on ebay.

Im guessing it has to do with ebay collecting taxes now.

They're only wanting last 4 digits not the whole one but frankly I don't trust any of these companies with my SSN.

Other have said Paypal wants it.. but that's not true in every instance.

When PP started asking for it if you didn't provide you just couldn't hold a balance in the PP account.. it had to be transferred to a bank.. of which there are record (money laundering laws I guess)

So no.. you don't HAVE to give PP your SSN. at least as a buyer or send money to friends.

It's a shame because selling on CL is a lot harder because of the limited local area.

If you depend on ebay for income I don't see what choice you have, but as a casual seller I can choose/afford to say no.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Social Security Number

@retsbor10-3 wrote:

I am really pleased to see that you stuck with it and are still trading now on MP.

Good for you 😊

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Social Security Number

Is eBay going to issue 1099s to all sellers via SSN? If we don't comply, when will we be kicked off eBay? Thanks for any help.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

Social Security Number

As an older couple, we miss the simple days of rotary phones and grainy UHF television stations.

But, if you want to have any sort of on-line business you have to give up those thoughts and buy in.

You gave the info up for Paypal. You might have given it up with on-line banking. You gave it up on any other platform you sell through (not counting Craigslist and the like).  So it's the same old, same old. Nothing to see here!

Message 15 of 25
latest reply