cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So the dust has settled somewhat. How will you handle GTC? Do you know?

There's been a lot of venting on the new GTC listings which is understandable.

This is not that kind of a thread, therefore no redundancy.

Reactions and opinions have been freely shared as to what was thought of this change. The dust has settled somewhat after the announcement of the Early Seller Update. As you know, there has been much reaction. Many don't like it. Some are optimistic. Others don't feel it is a concern. Some have already made plans and know how they will handle it. Some may not have any plans.  Some may be planning other things. 

So this thread is an opportunity to share your plans, if any, and share what you intend to do about it and how you will handle it. Some have shared strategies on when to post to avoid additional listing fees which would be costly. Thank you!

May it help any who are undecided solidify their plans. Together, we're better! Thank you!

Message 1 of 132
latest reply
131 REPLIES 131

Re: So the dust has settled somewhat. How will you handle GTC? Do you know?

This will be my approach:

1) Make an effort to create more multi-item lots in order to reduce my overall number of listings. (ex. bundle 5 CD singles by the same artist, 10 photos of the same artist, etc.)  To be fair, this was a goal of mine before the GTC announcement - this just speeds it up.

2) Make an effort to start all my listings in a free listing special on the same date, so that I can end them on day 29 to stop them from getting relisted.

3) Make it a practice to log in every day and check that I do not have any listings that need to be ended before they get relisted.

Message 2 of 132
latest reply

I can attest to your #1, been trying the lot sales w/ BIN GTC for a few months now, and at my limited scale, it is definitely working.

But I'm a tiny, non-pro seller, so my input here doesn't mean very much... take my $.02 with 3 or 4 grains of salt.
Message 3 of 132
latest reply

For once this ebay update doesn't really affect me. I like GTC for the out of stock option and the previous sales retention. I think some should look into maybe getting a store subscription or upgrading stores. That might actually save on fees in the long run. I've watched some good youtube videos on the new spring seller updates that help explain the changes and give some good advice. Try checking some of those out.

Message 4 of 132
latest reply

Moving 80% of my listings elsewhere. Already tripled my sales. The remaining 20% will be listed on the 4th of April using the only free 50 and then I don’t have to worry about getting hit with GTC fees. 

Message 5 of 132
latest reply

I thought it was the 14th of April?

Message 6 of 132
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories   Good topic, great post ... here's the initial plan ... 2 IDs involved:

1. I created a thread to help Sellers project what days of the year will result in double listing fees in the same month.  The first block of four days to avoid is

April 1 - double listing month is May this year

April 2 - double listing month is July this year

April 3 - double listing month is August this year

April 4 - double listing month is October this year

I will use an EXCEL spreadsheet to determine what days will yield a double GTC relisting months and either end items the day before or NOT listing anything on those days.  That addresses eBay's design Fee Grab ...

2. I have 2 stores and will monitor sales volume over a 3 month period beginning April 1.  If sales drop in general, the slower store will be converted back to the Everyday Rate plan and inventory shifted to the main store and I may elect to go up one level of Stores in an effort to run more Auctions opposed to FP GTC listings.

3. I will cull through active inventory and process slow movers through the local Auction houses we frequent ... this will begin as current items end their 30 day listings in April from March Relistings.  The idea here is to offer more value and have fewer items that simply create the background items for the ones that sell. 

4. Every Seller develops a "method" with using the different length FP durations, I do that to help "group" like items to make shopping easier for Buyers when they click the "See more items" for sale link instead of the "Visit Store" link.  I will ask on the Weekly Chat if they can cancel the "See more items" link for Store Owners forcing Buyers to enter the store in the item category that the item is in they clicked on, thus opeing them up to like items grouped by the Store Category ... this would help offset the inconvenience of not being able to group like items short of ending large blocks and relisting when new items are added to that category.  Sorry if all that sounds confusing but it seems to have worked the last few years for what we sell.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 7 of 132
latest reply

@websilverjewel    Actually, listing anything on April 4th will mean they will be listed TWICE in October this year.  The later in the month you list the longer it will be before you hit a double Relisting month.

Just an FYI:

April 1 - May is the double listing month

April 2 - July is the double listing month

April 3 - August is the double listing month

April 4 - October is the double listing month

Someone mentioned April 14 ... that would mean double listing occurring in August of 2021 ... a safe day to list

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 8 of 132
latest reply

I'm not a real big seller so my listings will be easy to manage. The thing that worries me is cancelling a GTC on day 28 or 29, but being charged final value fees anyways because I might have had a question or two on a listing during those first few weeks. I'm pretty sure I've read complaints about that on the forums. 

Message 9 of 132
latest reply

I use a third party to manage my ebay accounts.

Recently they developed a new rule that allows you to allow GTC or to ignore it and your listings will automatically end one day before GTC kicks in.

Piece of mind. 

Message 10 of 132
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@castlemagicmemories   Good topic, great post ... here's the initial plan ... 2 IDs involved:

1. I created a thread to help Sellers project what days of the year will result in double listing fees in the same month.  The first block of four days to avoid is

I will use an EXCEL spreadsheet to determine what days will yield a double GTC relisting months and either end items the day before or NOT listing anything on those days.  That addresses eBay's design Fee Grab ...

2. I have 2 stores and will monitor sales volume over a 3 month period beginning April 1.  If sales drop in general, the slower store will be converted back to the Everyday Rate plan and inventory shifted to the main store and I may elect to go up one level of Stores in an effort to run more Auctions opposed to FP GTC listings.

3. I will cull through active inventory and process slow movers through the local Auction houses we frequent ... this will begin as current items end their 30 day listings in April from March Relistings.  The idea here is to offer more value and have fewer items that simply create the background items for the ones that sell. 

4. Every Seller develops a "method" with using the different length FP durations, I do that to help "group" like items to make shopping easier for Buyers when they click the "See more items" for sale link instead of the "Visit Store" link.  I will ask on the Weekly Chat if they can cancel the "See more items" link for Store Owners forcing Buyers to enter the store in the item category that the item is in they clicked on, thus opeing them up to like items grouped by the Store Category ... this would help offset the inconvenience of not being able to group like items short of ending large blocks and relisting when new items are added to that category.  Sorry if all that sounds confusing but it seems to have worked the last few years for what we sell.

@mr_lincoln wrote:

Thank you, @mr_lincoln  I'm so glad you think so.  Your opinion, and others,  matters to me greatly.  Hopefully this will be very helpful to all.  

Message 11 of 132
latest reply

@mr_lincoln  Thank you! This is helpful. Will save this.

Message 12 of 132
latest reply

Most of my listings have been GTC for years.

Since I run Stores, and rarely meet my limit (because of the Canada loophole) double listing months are not a concern.

I too would like to know how eBay plans to handle Free Listing promotions. Will they be GTC which would be annoying or will they be fixed term?

Message 13 of 132
latest reply

That's a great question!  

Message 14 of 132
latest reply

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/GTC-schedule-the-end-time/m-p/29592173#M1383577

A great thread by Shipscript who is proposing solutions to Ebay on behalf of sellers so they have options for this.  Some awesome ideas there!  She is a treasure.

Message 15 of 132
latest reply