cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding the use of Media Mail for shipping being used inappropriately

According to the definition: a class of mail for sending books, recordings, and computer media. It is cheaper and usually slower than first-class mail.

I have more recently had seller send curtains, shoes, jewelry boxes using MEDIA MAIL via USPS! It is cheaper and slower than FIRST CLASS, BUT IS IT the right way of use??

I say NO..opinions?

Or just maybe NO one cares as long as they get a cheaper shipping COST!

Message 1 of 56
latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Report the seller to their post office ... pretty soon they won't allow her to use media mail 😉

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 2 of 56
latest reply

@my_boston_baked_beans wrote:

According to the definition: a class of mail for sending books, recordings, and computer media. It is cheaper and usually slower than first-class mail.

I have more recently had seller send curtains, shoes, jewelry boxes using MEDIA MAIL via USPS! It is cheaper and slower than FIRST CLASS, BUT IS IT the right way of use??

I say NO..opinions?

No. It is not right. If a seller ships items illegally thru Media Mail, then I just avoid buying from them.

Message 3 of 56
latest reply

USPS has rules, clearly if you break the rules it's NOT right.

Some do it out of ignorance, some (most) know exactly what they are doing especially when items are obviously (to anyone with a brain) not Media.

It has never happened to me, if it did I would have to decide, report to USPS, leave appropriate feedback ("seller misuses media Mail") or both.

The absolute worst is when sellers use Media Mail for items that don't qualify and then "charge" as if they are using Priority (includes those with "free" shipping).

One day USPS will end Media Mail or change it to be more similar to Bound Publication Mail (requires a permit and high volume). When/if that happens there will be lots of people blaming it all on USPS as a "cash grab".

Message 4 of 56
latest reply

I say NO..opinions?

Books, recordings, and computer media are supposed to be educational in nature to use Media Mail anyways (USPS added the educational-ONLY part in the last few years).

It is cheaper than Ground, but not cheaper than First Class. First Class only goes up to a 15.9 ounces though. After that, you have to use Ground or Priority.  

USPS can open a Media Mail package and inspect it to determine if it's truly Media Mail. They can also seize the package or return to sender for adequate postage if it's found not to be. IMO, it's not worth the risk. I never ship anything that isn't educational as Media Mail.

If you are feeling vindictive, you can leave a poor shipping rating on Ebay and/or negative feedback for the seller if they indicated a faster shipping service.... or CHARGED YOU FOR IT. If I as a buyer specifically paid for a shipping service, and it wasn't that service - I'd be fairly angry, especially since Media Mail is quite slow. 

If you are feeling extra evil, you can report the person sending it to the Post Master General. Mail Fraud is Fraud...

Message 5 of 56
latest reply

I ditto penguins_dont_fly -- for all of us who follow the USPS Media rate rules, those who use it for illegitimate materials (and that includes comic books and magazines!) just gives the rest of us a black eye.

If you know ahead of time that your seller is abusing USPS Media Rate rules, open the package that you receive directly in front of a USPS representative -- and let USPS bill the seller for the higher rate.

Those who abuse the USPS Media rate will likely be responsible for those rates being jacked up even higher in the future.  The more crooked sellers that are caught by USPS now might slow down the temptation by others to game the system.  Let USPS get rid of the "bad apples" in the barrel.

Message 6 of 56
latest reply

It is not MY job to police eBay, but if I miss calculate on postage I get a nasty gram form eBay and charge t.o my account. I firmly believe this is not out of ignorance, but rather about greed! Many like to play the ignorance card when caught few OWN IT!

Message 7 of 56
latest reply

Your info is incorrect
From usps
Media Mail® service has special eligibility requirements for permissible contents. Media Mail rates are limited to the items listed below:
Books (at least 8 pages).
Sound recordings and video recordings, such as CDs and DVDs.
Playscripts and manuscripts for books, periodicals, and music.
Printed music.
Computer-readable media containing prerecorded information and guides or scripts prepared solely for use with such media.
Sixteen millimeter or narrower width films.
Printed objective test materials and their accessories.
Printed educational reference charts.
Loose-leaf pages and their binders consisting of medical information for distribution to doctors, hospitals, medical schools, and medical students.
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 8 of 56
latest reply

@nkpina2014 wrote:

I say NO..opinions?

Books, recordings, and computer media are supposed to be educational in nature to use Media Mail anyways (USPS added the educational-ONLY part in the last few years).

NOT accurate! The Educational requirement only applies to very limited specific types of items

It is cheaper than Ground, but not cheaper than First Class. First Class only goes up to a 15.9 ounces though. After that, you have to use Ground or Priority.  

NOT accurate! True for First Class under 4oz but not for anything that weighs 4 - 15.99oz

USPS can open a Media Mail package and inspect it to determine if it's truly Media Mail. They can also seize the package or return to sender for adequate postage if it's found not to be. IMO, it's not worth the risk. I never ship anything that isn't educational as Media Mail.

If you are feeling vindictive, you can leave a poor shipping rating on Ebay and/or negative feedback for the seller if they indicated a faster shipping service.... or CHARGED YOU FOR IT. If I as a buyer specifically paid for a shipping service, and it wasn't that service - I'd be fairly angry, especially since Media Mail is quite slow. 

If you are feeling extra evil, you can report the person sending it to the Post Master General. Mail Fraud is Fraud...

Message 9 of 56
latest reply

Really?

No where do I see SHOES, CURTAINS OR JEWELRY BOXES?

I am very well aware of the items in a broader since presented by USPS, but chose to make it quick simple

Deceit is a cover-up another way of financial gain in this CIRCUMSTANCE..

Maybe, USPS should have opened these packages to find curtains, shoes, jewelry boxes NOT tapes etc! 

Message 10 of 56
latest reply

USPS PEOPLE ASK WHAT IS MEDIA MAIL

Message 11 of 56
latest reply

Why bother evil multiplies and has a twin somewhere!

Just expressing some recent deliveries...

Always about $$$$$$$$ not the principal behind:)

Message 12 of 56
latest reply

@nkpina2014 wrote:.... Books, recordings, and computer media are supposed to be educational in nature to use Media Mail anyways (USPS added the educational-ONLY part in the last few years)....

The Domestic Mail Manual lists 9 categories of items that are eligible for MM.  The description of TWO of those categories specifies "educational," so clearly that requirement doesn't apply to the other 7 categories.

3.0 Content Standards for Media Mail 3.1 Content Standards

Only these items may be mailed at the Media Mail prices:

1. Books, including books issued to supplement other books, of at least eight printed pages, consisting wholly of reading matter or scholarly bibliography, or reading matter with incidental blank spaces for notations and containing no advertising matter other than incidental announcements of books. Advertising includes paid advertising and the publishers‘ own advertising in display, classified, or editorial style.
  2. 16-millimeter or narrower width films, which must be positive prints in final form for viewing, and catalogs of such films of 24 pages or more (at least 22 of which are printed). Films and film catalogs sent to or from commercial theaters do not qualify for the Media Mail price.
  3. Printed music, in bound or sheet form.
  4. Printed objective test materials and their accessories used by or on behalf of educational institutions to test ability, aptitude, achievement, interests, and other mental and personal qualities with or without answers, test scores, or identifying information recorded thereon in writing or by mark.
  5. Sound recordings, including incidental announcements of recordings and guides or scripts prepared solely for use with such recordings. Video recordings and player piano rolls are classified as sound recordings.
  6. Playscripts and manuscripts for books, periodicals, and music.
  7. Printed educational reference charts designed to instruct or train individuals for improving or developing their capabilities. Each chart must be a single printed sheet of information designed for educational reference. The information on the chart, which may be printed on one or both sides of the sheet, must be conveyed primarily by graphs, diagrams, tables, or other nonnarrative matter. An educational reference chart is normally but not necessarily devoted to one subject. A chart on which the information is conveyed primarily by textual matter in a narrative form does not qualify as a printed educational reference chart for mailing at the Media Mail prices even if it includes graphs, diagrams, or tables. Examples of qualifying charts include maps produced primarily for educational reference, tables of mathematical or scientific equations, noun declensions or verb conjugations used in the study of languages, periodic table of elements, botanical or zoological tables, and other tables used in the study of science.
  8. Loose-leaf pages and their binders consisting of medical information for distribution to doctors, hospitals, medical schools, and medical students.
  9. Computer-readable media containing prerecorded information and guides or scripts prepared solely for use with such media.

https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/273.htm#ep1062323

Message 13 of 56
latest reply

There is not and there never has been an educational requirement. 

Media Mail can be used for up to 70 lbs.

Message 14 of 56
latest reply

Thanks no curtains, shoes or jewelry boxes!

Hey...just tired of eBunny correcting and charging me for a scale I probably need to re-calibrate. I am being honest, but others are not...just the way people are today VERY SAD!

Message 15 of 56
latest reply