cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So how would you fine sellers deal with this return scenario

Today has just been a wonderful day of ebay goodness (little of which is Ebays fault, if any). Had one buyer buy and cancel multiple items over a span of several hours. Had two separate buyers complain that they never got their item when tracking shows it was delivered to their correct ebay/paypal address. All normal annoyances, but this one is the one that made me go, I need to share this.

Person purchased a Power Rangers pull toy. It is a 4 inch power rangers helmet that opens up and a little motorcycle comes out. Grand total (drum roll) $10. Someone purchases it, I send it out, it is delivered. As soon as it arrives I get a sent wrong item claim issued.

This is the message:

I GAVE it back to postman. I thought I ordered a helmet for 4yr old to wear on his head. Obviously, it not the correct item. RETURN TO SENDER ON PACKAGES. PLEASE REFUND SO I CAN PURCHASE A NEW HELMET FOR GRAND SON. HE NEEDS ONE FOR HIS BIKE I WILL LEAVE U A 5* review for the misinformation. Thsnk u so much..

Now, this listing says its a pull toy. Has the dimensions listed. So unless her grandson is using Pym particles to enter the micro verse, I don't think this helmet was going to work.  Also, there are three pictures, in all of them they show a helmet, with a motorcycle inside of it. Sigh. Perhaps this buyer just thought a wrong item sent claim means that the item is different than the one they imagined in their head. If thats the case, I need to return a transformer lot I purchased because it wasn't a life size statue of Don Rickles made entirely of mint chip ice cream, like I thought I was ordering when I saw those picture of Optimus Prime. 

Now, if this was a remorse return and they had presented it as such, I probably would have just accepted it. But instead, they had to do it this way and make it seem like it was my mistake. Even to avoid the annoyance I probably would just accept the return and pay the return shipping but I'm not even sure if that is going to work if they gave it back the post office. Any ideas. I am certainly not going to refund them before I get my item back. 

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: So how would you fine sellers deal with this return scenario

The person who commented on the free gift I think misread my original post. That was a different issue where I gave a person a free gift with their order just because I felt like it, and they liked my shipping packing and wanted to give me a good review, but accidentally gave me a neutral one instead. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 24 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Ha, I forgot to mention in my grievances the buyer who was happy that I had done the best packing job they had ever seen, and was very appreciative of the free gift I give him, and left me a review reflecting this. Of course it was a neutral review. Sigh again. 

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

I believe that by refusing the package, or sticking it back in the mail without tracking on the return, the buyer voided their Money Back Guarantee. I am trying to find any corroborating info in the policy about this.

99.99% of the time, it is in the seller’s best interest to accept the return and refund upon receipt of the returned and tracked package in an Item Not As Described case. Fighting such a case earns a seller a defect if eBay steps in and finds in favor of the buyer. But under these circumstances, eBay might find for you. 

(However, for a $10 item, i wouldn't want to risk it and if it were me, i would refund and then file an appeal with eBay to recoup the loss, using the buyer’s failure to follow the procedures as a basis for the appeal. The buyer may not be able to prove delivery.)

I am hoping another member will respond to your post that might back up my assertion. I will keep looking for the actions that void the Money Back Guarantee. Sorry you ran into this careless buyer.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

I imagine that many buyers look at a picture and no matter what the description is they do not read or do not understand or mistakenly believe they are getting something much different than what you described and photographed in great detail. It’s not right if you get a not as described claim on your feedback over this one for sure. Perhaps you could get that removed if that happens. Let the item come back and when they are forewarded back as a refusal it should show in the tracking info. If it does then when you get it back refund, and sing FA LA LA LA LA, to all the great buyers you will have no problems with this holiday season.

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

I imagine that many buyers look at a picture and no matter what the description is they do not read or do not understand or mistakenly believe they are getting something much different than what you described and photographed in great detail. 

A New Year 2020 story

EBay could administer an brief knowledge & competency test to identify Individuals that may encounter difficulty in purchasing or selling.

Those individuals found to be lacking, would be provided access to self help materials and motivated by use of non monetary incentives .

Have a happier & healthy New Year

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

I imagine that many buyers look at a picture and no matter what the description is they do not read or do not understand or mistakenly believe they are getting something much different than what you described and photographed in great detail. 

A New Year 2020 story

EBay could administer an brief knowledge & competency test to identify Individuals that may encounter difficulty in purchasing or selling.

Those individuals found to be lacking, would be provided access to self help materials and motivated by use of non monetary incentives .

I brought this idea up to Griff at one of the weakly chats many years ago.  All I got from him was a "no way HAHAHA."

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Wacky fun-filled update. I sent a message to the buyer saying that I would like lyrics to accept the return but I would like to know what portions of the listing they found confusing. I also told them that whatever information they gave me would not affect my decision to accept the return, which I had basically decided to do anyway by now. Buyer then responds that they would like the money returned immediately so they could buy their child at least one Christmas present this year. 

Sigh. Now not only did I send a different item than what was in this person's head, I killed Christmas as well. This is whoville all over again.

My gut reaction now is to accept the return and just see if they actually return the item. I'm not going to refund them until I get it back.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

I would do it this way. 

1) Add this buyer to your Best Buddy List

2) Accept the return & issue a return label as soon as possible.  Since they already 'refused' the delivery, they won't use the return label and you won't be charged for it. 

3) In 6 business days, call eBay and get the return closed in your favor. This will protect you from negative feedback. 

4) IF you get the item back, refund the buyer minus shipping, ebay & paypal fees.  I'd also withhold the value of the 'free gift' they kept. If they refused the package, you'll be able to watch it thru the USPS tracking page, but not the ebay tracking page. 

5) With the 'refused' package in hand, go to the Post Office and report the buyer for Postal Fraud. Refused packages are only for unopened mail. Since they kept the free gift that was included, you know they opened it, and should have paid for return mail. 

After the return is closed on eBay, ignore the buyers messages.  On another account, I had a 1st class mail Return-to-sender sale in late September that didn't arrive back to me until mid-November. So it's not going to happen in the speed your buyer wants.  

Since you know the buyer opened it, no one knows what was in the package 'refused' until you get it back.  If they returned an empty box or other item, I wouldn't refund at all. 

Best of luck! 

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

@immortalfigures wrote:

Wacky fun-filled update. I sent a message to the buyer saying that I would like lyrics to accept the return fund them until I get it back...

You want them to write you a song?Smiley Tongue

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

@thevalkyriescollection wrote:

I would do it this way. 

1) Add this buyer to your Best Buddy List

2) Accept the return & issue a return label as soon as possible.  Since they already 'refused' the delivery, they won't use the return label and you won't be charged for it. 

3) In 6 business days, call eBay and get the return closed in your favor. This will protect you from negative feedback. 

4) IF you get the item back, refund the buyer minus shipping, ebay & paypal fees.  I'd also withhold the value of the 'free gift' they kept. If they refused the package, you'll be able to watch it thru the USPS tracking page, but not the ebay tracking page. 

5) With the 'refused' package in hand, go to the Post Office and report the buyer for Postal Fraud. Refused packages are only for unopened mail. Since they kept the free gift that was included, you know they opened it, and should have paid for return mail. 

After the return is closed on eBay, ignore the buyers messages.  On another account, I had a 1st class mail Return-to-sender sale in late September that didn't arrive back to me until mid-November. So it's not going to happen in the speed your buyer wants.  

Since you know the buyer opened it, no one knows what was in the package 'refused' until you get it back.  If they returned an empty box or other item, I wouldn't refund at all. 

Best of luck! 

Excellent advice - a very good plan! 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 10 of 25
latest reply

Yes, very nice plan!
OP you are certainly not to refund them until you get your item back.
Never mind ruining someone's Christmas. They ruined it themselves not you.
I once refunded money before I received my item back.
It was a mother begging to have the refund money early so she could buy her daughter's Christmas present.
Guess what? I lost $200.
At least I made a scammer very happy that year...sob

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

the item is different than the one they imagined in their head

Ahhh...the new "snad"  "Item not as imagined"...INAI????  Works just the same.  

Buyer orders a toy.

Buyer gets said toy.

Buyer really wanted something else. 
Buyer claims snad when they got the toy. 

Buyer wins because eBay will "presume" regardless of the lame reason given, there is really something else (also imagined) wrong with the toy.  That is the present rationale given  by ebay for the phony SNAD (buyer is an idiot and didn't read the description) returns.   

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Was it the red power rangers helmet?  I couldn't find any photo that showed scale or any dimensions listed.  The motorcycle inside should have been alarming, but obviously they didn't see that.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

They probably saw only the first photo and thought this helmet comes with a toy motorcycle.

I try to believe that most people are good and innocent in heart...that thought makes my life easier.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

Yes, and if $10 is going to make/break someone's Xmas- I would just send them the refund and hope I get the item back....and if not- your charitable donation was well worth it. 

Message 15 of 25
latest reply