cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So get this, Ebay is dumb

So I sent offer to potential buyers and one accepted.  He did not pay me so I opened a unpaid item request.  He still didn't pay me so I closed the case and he got a strike.  The next day he opened a return for an item he didn't pay for and on the item he received a strike for not paying.  How is this possible? 

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

I suppose its possible because all those type cases are handled automatically. Contact Ebay on facebook or twitter and get someone to close that out for you before you land into some serious tangled issues

Judge not others by your own limitations
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

@axiombody wrote:

So I sent offer to potential buyers and one accepted.  He did not pay me so I opened a unpaid item request.  He still didn't pay me so I closed the case and he got a strike.  The next day he opened a return for an item he didn't pay for and on the item he received a strike for not paying.  How is this possible? 

I've read other posts saying the same thing. Seems to be a newer scam that the bots don't recognize. 

Maybe you should 'ask ebay to step in' for resolution.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

So I contacted Ebay now by chat.  I tell the person the situation.  She says yes I see he hasn't paid.  She tells me yes he opened a return.  I having said that already asked why a person can start a return after an unpaid item case has been closed.  She said don't worry, that since he hasn't paid he can't get his money back.  I said can you cancel the return.  She said that I have to call/chat back on May 14th.  I said why can't she cancel it now.  She said because the case was just opened I have to wait five days before they can step in.  Like I said, "Ebay is dumb"

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

@axiombody wrote:

So I contacted Ebay now by chat.  I tell the person the situation.  She says yes I see he hasn't paid.  She tells me yes he opened a return.  I having said that already asked why a person can start a return after an unpaid item case has been closed.  She said don't worry, that since he hasn't paid he can't get his money back.  I said can you cancel the return.  She said that I have to call/chat back on May 14th.  I said why can't she cancel it now.  She said because the case was just opened I have to wait five days before they can step in.  Like I said, "Ebay is dumb"

Im surprised they didnt close it out right then and there. But, apparently its a process, let it play  out and go back when the rep said to. Its how they do things. At least now you know that the case wont go anywhere for the buyer.

I would call this a win 👍🏻 

Judge not others by your own limitations
Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@axiombody wrote:

SCARY!!

Is this where the future is taking us with AI 'helping' out?

Thanx for the follow up

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

@axiombody wrote:

The next day he opened a return for an item he didn't pay for

How is this possible? 

Nope, eBay is not dumb. Instead, this is the intended design.

@Anonymous wrote here:

this would not be a loophole requiring attention but instead is the intended design. Since we are not always able to recognize payment, we want to allow a buyer to open a request through the eBay Money Back Guarantee in case they did pay for the item and have proof of this. If the buyer does not provide proof of payment, the seller would win any escalated claim. When a seller is certain that they did not receive payment, they should have not concerns with an open request and can respond as they see fit to help clarify this for the buyer.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

I don't mean to get off topic here, but, this is the sort of logic that doesn't allow me to join MP willingly!!!!!! I do not want eBay handling my money.  Leave it to the pros over at PayPal!!!!!!!!

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Good luck getting rid of the effects that return has on your account. It is rare to get eBay to own up for their mistakes. I have a defect I have to live with on my account for a year now because of a problem that is directly eBay's fault.
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@edwedw8383 wrote:

@axiombody wrote:

The next day he opened a return for an item he didn't pay for

How is this possible? 

Nope, eBay is not dumb. Instead, this is the intended design.

@Anonymous wrote here:

this would not be a loophole requiring attention but instead is the intended design. Since we are not always able to recognize payment, we want to allow a buyer to open a request through the eBay Money Back Guarantee in case they did pay for the item and have proof of this. If the buyer does not provide proof of payment, the seller would win any escalated claim. When a seller is certain that they did not receive payment, they should have not concerns with an open request and can respond as they see fit to help clarify this for the buyer.

I do love the flimsy excuses for things that are wrong and make no sense.  I would be safe to assume any strikes on the account will stick even if a non-paying buyer opens a case.  I guess it does make sense though because eBay wants to use their service metrics scam to screw sellers out of more money...

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@axiombody wrote:

She said don't worry, that since he hasn't paid he can't get his money back.  I said can you cancel the return.

Uhhhhh, didn’t he already have his money “back”? In fact he even went a step further and never let his money leave. Mind blown.

Your chat agent is stupid. I’ve never done CS chat... is it an AI or an actual person?

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

I don't believe the lady was from the US and really I don't think she understood why I thought it was weird that a non paying person who had a received a strike would be able to open a case.  I don't think she had any authority to change anything either(maybe she is working from home in the Philippines/India).  Usually when I am able to call they can change something that is not right or talk to a manager to ask if they can do something but she was not helpful in explaining why it could not be closed.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

I’ve never tried the chat before. Maybe try it again during a different time of day if the answering services are in different regions of the world.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

this has been discussed repeatedly,its not anything new.The reason a buyer is able to open a case is the small chance of them  having already paid by a check or money order.Not every single ebay payment is done the way it should be,ebay has to have a system that accomodates all of the special reasons,

remember this is ebay we are talking about,if a buyer has a 1 in a million chance of doing something, the CSR will always be there for them no matter how rediculous the request is

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@1tuna wrote:

this has been discussed repeatedly,its not anything new.The reason a buyer is able to open a case is the small chance of them  having already paid by a check or money order.Not every single ebay payment is done the way it should be,ebay has to have a system that accomodates all of the special reasons,

remember this is ebay we are talking about,if a buyer has a 1 in a million chance of doing something, the CSR will always be there for them no matter how rediculous the request is

I thought paying by check or money order is a clear ebay violation. If I'm right, then the CS is trying to help the buyer in case they previously made a violation? I wouldn't be surprised since like you said "this is ebay."

Message 15 of 18
latest reply