cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smoke Smell Experience

This subject comes up frequently so I thought I would share a recent experience.

I deliver mail part time.  In my own vehicle.  At times I am called in to finish a route for whatever reason when a carrier cannot finish it themselves - also in their own privately owned vehicle.

Recently I was called in to finish a route for a carrier who broke down.  A heavy smoker.  Who had completed about half the route.

When I got to the PO all the mail and packages were on a cart at the dock ready to be reloaded.  I could smell it before I got to the cart.  From less than 2 hours in the carrier's vehicle.  Parcels, letters, magazines, everything smelled.

I don't know if the carrier smokes while delivering mail or if the smell was picked up from off-duty smoking.  Either way it was strong enough that customers must smell it when packages get delivered.

So don't discount a buyer's complaint of smoke smell so fast.  Their package could very well stink.

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Smoke Smell Experience

wrote:

wrote:

Cigarette smoke is hard to miss.  It clings to clothes and hair.  One whiff of the inside of the truck should be obvious to PO personnel.

Sorry, but I have never seen anyone from the PO do a sniff test on a mail carrier's privately owned vehicle.

Without seeing someone actually smoking in their private vehicle, or getting a complaint from someone who does, this policy is difficult to enforce.  How would you know if the carrier was smoking in the vehicle while working or if the smell is from their driving outside of work?

I said mail truck, not private vehicle.

In my area all mail is delivered in the official Postal vehicles.

"I said mail truck, not private vehicle."

No, you didn't.  You just said "truck."

Apparently my post did not make it clear enough that the term "privately owned vehicle" when applied to mail carriers means the carrier uses his own vehicle to deliver mail.  It's not the vehicle that a postal employee drives to work and leaves in the parking lot while he works.  It is his own car or truck that he drives full of mail to deliver on a rural route. 

Message 31 of 34
latest reply

In my house if there's a smell of smoke it's coming from the kitchen.  Really, I'm thinking of getting my wife a stove that flushes!

List more, sell more. Goodwill that other, uh, stuff.

Feeling sleepy? There's an app for that.
Message 32 of 34
latest reply

wrote:

In my house if there's a smell of smoke it's coming from the kitchen.  Really, I'm thinking of getting my wife a stove that flushes!

Show her this post and you won't be getting anymore smoke, or dinner....

Message 33 of 34
latest reply

I don't know where you can buy it but I heard that MJ  with capsaicin was more effective for pain control.  I know that capsaicin cream is used in creams for arthritic pain.  I would check with the medical marijuana dispensaries to see if anyone carries that.   I'm in California so if I ever needed it I think I could use MJ if it was in a topical.  I just don't like the pungent odor as the stuff everyone around here smokes is too intense.

Message 34 of 34
latest reply