cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to deal with suspiscious purchases

I recently listed an auction for 9 pokemon cards and the winning bid was $33. However, I suspect the buyer will either attempt to scam by saying he didn't receive the cards or return the cards if he doesn't like them. He has sold and bought before, but has only a feedback score of 8. What do I do to protect myself?

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Since you have a return policy, they are permitted to return if they don't like them.  I avoid this by trying to offer clear descriptions and photos of what I am selling.  I'm not a card seller, but a quick glance at your listing seems like it might confuse some buyers.

Ship with tracking to avoid the not as received issue.   

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

I don't get it.  You have not outlined any basis for your suspicion that the buyer will not pay (in which case you open an unpaid item case) or that the buyer will claim he did not receive the cards (that's why you get tracking).  So he has only 8 FB.  Did you start out your eBay career with more than that? 

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

OP~~Maybe your unsuspecting seller will EXPECT to receive what you have pictured and not what you are actually selling?  You have already received several negatives and neutrals for just that.  NEVER picture ANYTHING that isn't included in the listing~~don't list a few cards with pictures of a whole bunch of cards.  As you should already know~~it will come back to bite you.

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

Oh boy... those types of listings are a recipe for disaster.

Chance listings aren't allowed at all

Never show items that they won't receive.

Your SNAD life depends on it.

If shadowless and first editions are that valuable, then make a listing just for them.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

Your photo clearly shows that you’re selling 24 cards.

Any damage here is self-inflicted.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

"What do I do to protect myself?"

1)  follow eBay listing rules

2)  learn from past mistakes

3)  don't let paranoia interfere with selling

Nos. 1 and 2 are too late for this sale, but you may still salvage the transaction by heeding No. 3.

Or, your buyer may show up over at the buyer's board with the same thread title.

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

If he didn't receive the cards, your tracking showing delivery protects you.

If he doesn't like them, and you have returns, he can return them for any reason.

This buyer is new, that does not mean he is a scamming.  

Never picture anything in the listing that is not being sold with that listing.  You are setting yourself up for a SNAD.  Listings should not be confusing.  I didn't check your listing, but a poster mentions the listing sows 24 cards.  You say the listing was for 9 cards.  Buyer could very well think you are a scamming seller for using a picture of more cards than you are selling.

You see, that scamming label can be applied either way.

Wishing you all the best.

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

wrote:

I recently listed an auction for 9 pokemon cards and the winning bid was $33. However, I suspect the buyer will either attempt to scam by saying he didn't receive the cards or return the cards if he doesn't like them.

He might very well return the cards if he doesnt like them because you are not even showing which cards he has just bought. You cannot do a chance listing where you basically just show many more items than are in the listing and have only a vague description of what MIGHT be in the sale. That listing is a train wreck waiting to happen. 

For now all you can do is send a selection that is as close as possible to what you promised in the description. Then dont do that again - figure out your selection before you make the listing and show every card that WILL be in the listing. Also do an itemized list of each one - title ect. - so that anyone do a description search for a certain card will find yours.

Dont leave doubt or the buyer will have a slam dunk not as described dispute to dump on you. You have to show and describe in photos and text what IS included in the sale and leave no doubt.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

Oh boy! OP, you are flirting with disaster. Your pics & description are misleading, your replies to FB are rude & unprofessional. Only picture the cards included in the sale. We are trying to help you. It’s up to you if you listen or not.
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 10 of 26
latest reply

But if OP doesn't listen, he will have more and more problems~and that can negatively impact his selling privileges, and his account.  

Vagueness in listings is a recipe for disaster.  Unprofessional responses to feedback causes potential future buyers to hit the back button and decide to give their business to someone else.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

wrote:

But if OP doesn't listen, he will have more and more problems~and that can negatively impact his selling privileges, and his account.  

Vagueness in listings is a recipe for disaster.  Unprofessional responses to feedback causes potential future buyers to hit the back button and decide to give their business to someone else.

And if he loses his account because he failed to listen to good advice, he deserves it.

I've been trading collectible card game stuff for two decades, and you just have to deal with the fact that it's one of those categories where you really have to mind your p's and q's. If you don't, natural selection will take care of you.

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

Hopefully you are SHIPPING WITH TRACKING therefore he cannot claim he didn't get the item.

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

The time to determine your risk tolerance is before listing the items. At this point, you are obligated to ship to the winning bidder after he pays and hope for the best. I wouldn’t worry based only on a feedback score. You cannot determine a good buyer from a bad buyer from it, and the overwhelming number of ebayers are honest. In 7-8 years of selling, i’ve never had a scam attempt. As for a return, it is unlikely a member will follow an auction and invest all that time and energy into it, and then not want the item they bid on. It’s a possibility, but given you accept returns, it is a situation you expect can happen.

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

On the rare instances that I make personal purchases, I use an account with less than 10 feedback. My other account has about 2400 feedback. I guess that makes me a potential scammer.
Message 15 of 26
latest reply