cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small Business who is leaving EBay because of eBay

Thought I would save some of you the trouble of selling on eBay I’d you haven’t started already.

TLDR: eBay harasses you for things out of your control, doesn’t listen to you, the threatens you with banning every week…even with a %100 seller rating

Long:
5 years ago after having my Shopify store for 2 years, someone from EBay business contacted me about their new Shopify plug-in. I said cool and they set everything up (you had more free listings as a business and some other perks). I got an order here and there and all was well. No complaints.
A few months ago, orders started picking up so I wanted to scale  and I began using my perks but EBay yanked their plug-in and Business team I guess. And then a blizzard hit. Most customers were fine. They understood blizzard is not within anyone’s realm of control. They waited or ordered anyway when told there would be a delay. I had two…two people freak out and cuss us up and down. eBay sided with them, then me…,then them…then me, removed their reviews and gave me my money.
But the time spent arguing with them…crazy. Way too much. And no one listens or reads at EBay. They will ask for things like tracking numbers (which I send to customers dang near immediately. Longest wait time for a tracking number from me is 24 hours and that’s me waiting for it to generate) and you’ve already sent them the tracking number. They will ask  for proof you sent the item…um I can’t fake the USPS, FED EX, Pitney Bowes website and a tracking number with their address, so you have proof. It’s called a tracking number. *Well let me see the receipt where you paid for the shipping…a physical receipt. *.
Erm why would I have that? I try to do everything digital. I have an email receipt, I have a packing slip, I have a credit card receipt. *Nope, can’t accept that*
And they will do this over and over…and over. They will tell you, make sure you have enough stock for your customers…I do but I sell in several places…and you know what that means? Sometimes you run out! You order more or I will even send straight from manufacturer (in essence Drop Ship) just to get it to customer with minimal wait (as minimal as I can away) . I have even refunded customers after telling them we don’t have it they will have to wait…EBay says tsk tsk…you’re creating a bad customer experience. And restrict your listings and ability to promote on their page. And threaten to ban your account. Meanwhile I’m sitting at %100 love from the customers. Glowing reviews on the page. But because items are delayed, which few care about…eBay restricts me. Today they have a customer a refund saying she didn’t get her item. Shipping shows it will be there in THREE DAYS. I’ve told customer this. Told eBay this. Shared tracking links from 3 websites…  /end rant.

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Another one leaving I didn't even know was here.  And are those "Harry Potter" things licensed?

-

Message 2 of 34
latest reply

Been involved with online marketplaces a long time.

They have grown to a size that human intervention is too expensive to provide in any depth.

There are ways to minimize some of the conflicts which exist due to one size fits all rules, and superficial enforcement.

One of those areas is to buy your shipping through Ebay, not the best deal you can find on the carrier you prefer.

Another is not using a dropshipper for your orders.

And those are simply random ideas suggested by your post.

Message 3 of 34
latest reply

Okay, well I hope you farewell in these tough times and only a few will last once this has gone by.

I mean dang people have been leaving since what? 1999 & it's 2023 almost 2024. The time is almost here folks, it's almost here.

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

@thepinkcontroller wrote:

They will tell you, make sure you have enough stock for your customers…I do but I sell in several places…and you know what that means? Sometimes you run out! 

You do need to have enough stock for your customers. If you have 100 of an item listed across different sites, that means you need to have 100 in stock so that you can fulfill all of the orders if all 100 of them sell. Why are you listing more items than you actually have in your possession?

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

Out of stock  is just the kiss of death for any Ebay seller. They just wont tolerate it..

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 6 of 34
latest reply

I could rebut many of the things you mentioned in your rant but i'm not going to bother.

I've been selling here for 24 years and i'm doing just fine.

I think i'll stick around a while longer.

Good luck to you in the future.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 7 of 34
latest reply

Leaving eBay is probably for the best. The rules that seem to be of no consequence to you are necessary for the successful running of the site.

There are three main seller behaviors that are not tolerated on eBay: seller-initiated cancellations, out of stock, and not shipping within one’s handling time (late shipping).

eBay does not penalize sellers for acts of God which are posted on the Announcement board.

Much of seller evaluation is done automatically by bots. With millions of sellers and a billion+ listings, it would be humanly impossible for a global behemoth like eBay to do otherwise. Thus, the policies that govern the site are spelled out for all users to learn. It is not reasonable to expect exceptions to be made.

Perfect (or imperfect for that matter) feedback is not used to evaluate seller performance. That is because it is arbitrary, subjective and voluntary—not a reliable measure that can be quantified.

“But because items are delayed, which few care about…eBay restricts me.” 

Yes, because eBay does care about packages reaching buyers in a timely manner, in as-described condition. That is what all sellers agree to do, in exchange for using the site. If one cannot fulfill their contractual obligations, they will lose those privileges.

One seller creating a bad buying experience affects all sellers. Therefore it follows that eBay will sanction users who do not respect the rules the rest of us are required to follow. Most times, warnings are given, and then it is up to that individual user to accommodate themselves to the governances agreed upon, or face removal, if necessary.

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

@thepinkcontroller wrote:

Thought I would save some of you the trouble of selling on eBay I’d you haven’t started already.

TLDR: eBay harasses you for things out of your control, doesn’t listen to you, the threatens you with banning every week…even with a %100 seller rating

I've been here 19 years and I  have never had a one of things happen to me.

Maybe it's just the way you are doing things?

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

"eBay does not penalize sellers for acts of God which are posted on the Announcement board."

But they do punish for acts of the post office.   lol

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

You must work for Ebay.

Message 11 of 34
latest reply

A blizzard?  In July?  I knew weather was changing, but wow.  

Been selling here for 26 years, have not had any of those issues.   

But yes, being out of stock is the worst sin in Ebay's eyes b/c it creates a bad buyer experience.   I've never been OOS in all my years of selling.  It can be done. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

@sakic92710 wrote:

"eBay does not penalize sellers for acts of God which are posted on the Announcement board."

But they do punish for acts of the post office.   lol

They only do that if YOU don't fulfil the promises you make to buyers (and can't prove that you have done so)

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

To address a few comments regarding my rant. I had a personal eBay Account eBay  was founded, this ain’t my first rodeo. Also not the first time they screwed me over. I ran a store with my cousin for a short while, which they somehow attached to her personal eBay and charged a bunch of fees and etc, never straightened that out. We closed that store and walked away. Since they asked ME to come here, I thought they were changing. I didn’t include all of that…it’s a rant.

My items are licensed, I’ve been a games journalist and podcaster for just under 19 years and am an artist myself, I just don’t sell those items here. Another thing is because so many people sell unlicensed, if anyone else is selling items, it’s assumed even those with the real deal must be selling fake. If I were, I would never open my mouth. I’d just bounce. I;d offer to share how I came about getting some of these licenses, but internet folk here likely gonna say I’m lying anyway, lol. As mentioned I sell across many platforms. I know art theft is rampant and because this platform has aged so badly it is not even close to easy to work with as it once was (that’s putting it nicely) , I wouldn’t dare put my own art here. They are terrible at how they treat me when it’s not my original IP, I cannot imagine how much more frustrating it would be to have to fight over my own art.

if you love it here and it’s working for you, by all means stay. I wanted to toss up a warning for new business owners, younger folk who will likely find them clunky and unfriendly in comparison to newer platforms. The only thing they have over any of the rest is being able to speak to someone.  But think even Facebook has offered something comparable. Occulus owners who have a business do get VIP access. I own an Occulus.

As for the person who says why are you selling more than you have…imagine someone selling across platforms. You cannot always have exactly what you need at hand. I’ve had days where there are no eBay sales and other platforms are booming, then eBay come in late in the day, selling one bag over and eBay and Shopify sync just such that the Shopify customer gets the last bag instead of eBay. All of my stores are synced so I should only have to look once place…eBay is the only one I have to actually watch like a hawk. Happens.

And the odd person that said blizzard in July…really? I will say maybe I wasn’t clear as I hate to come at strangers and imply they are anything about them without knowing them, but to clarify, I’m speaking of winter time,  not now obviously.

Thanks to those who read and offered a good luck, same to you. Those who are being snarky, lol. We’ll have the day you deserve. Take that however you wish.

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

Exactly lol. 

USPS has definitely been a thorn in my side where eBay is concerned. 

Message 15 of 34
latest reply