cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow sales? Its not the economy its EBAY!

Online sales are topping retail right now EBAYS main competition is worth 2 WALMARTS in company size and share.

JUST NOT EBAY!  It couldnt be their ridiculous fees and policies  and that sellers and buyers have left in could it? Well yes it not only could but is. All you have to do is google the news.

Its not you its them! LOL

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Slow sales? Its not the economy its EBAY!

Agreed.

And it is obvious that they are wanting to remove anyone who does not sell with a barcode.  There are even posters here who try and claim that no one wants collectibles anymore, lol.  They fly off the shelves anywhere else.

So, unless you have a barcode, your from china, or soon india, or a HUGE seller, or selling employee/friend.  Your not going to sell much here, period.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

We've always read posts here from sellers who aren't makin' it very well on eBay.  It isn't for everyone, that's for certain, and it isn't a real good platform for certain types of merchandise, apparently, either.  But then, the choice of WHAT merchandise to offer here is up to the seller.  (As to barcodes... I don't use those.)

Speaking for myself only, eBay brings in the bulk of my Flip It & Resell It dollars!  I'm pretty satisfied.  Certainly make more here than at the antique malls, etc. but those help a bit too for things that I don't want to have to ship.

Yeah, there is a lot of change going on now in retail sales!  We've been seeing a HUGE surge in e-commerce and an ebbing in the brick & mortar retail segment.  For several years now, shops have been going under.  Even the big chains have been cutting back on their B&M expansion and have turned to building huge online empires.  Big 'well known' retail names are closing down some of their physical stores because so MUCH buying is now done online. 

But... none of this is new.  And in these last few months retail spending seems to have expanded, so this is a good time to grab a share of it!  There's money being spent.  Position yourself to pocket a good share of it.  That's where eBay is my most dependable business associate.  I spend the least here and get the widest exposure of any site I'm currently using.  Sell-through-rate is pretty high, and the profit is better than in the shops, so I've got absolutely no complaints.

Hope this season goes well for everyone else.  If you can't sell it here, you might want to reevaluate your inventory.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Yes not sure what's going on. I used to sell 10-20 items a day when my store had 600 listings.

Now I have about 1,300 listings and have sold ZERO today, one yesterday, and a few the day before.
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Google is not sending the traffic to eBay sellers listings directly as they did 6-10 years ago, welcome to the new reality, eBay needs to sign a long term advertising deal with Google or sell the company to Google ASAP !!!

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

After checking my listings, (Buyer reported this to me) I have noticed that some not only do not have the eBay money back guarantee  (MBG) on them, but actually say "This Item is not covered" by the MBG, It's an eBay glitch that's making me look bad. Who would buy when they see my Item is not covered by eBays MBG ? Good Luck to you.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

eBay needs to stop messing with search.  They should go back to the basics, and then things will be fair and balanced again...and buyers would even be able to find what they're looking for.

The more parameters they add to search (and destroy...is what it should be called), the worse the search engine becomes.  They want to call themselves a "tech company," but their "tech" is failing them.

Views are down, sales are down...and my purchases are down.  I don't want to come to a site and spend 2 hours to find what I can find elsewhere in 5 minutes.  It's even well worth a little more money.  eBay sadly believes that being in the race to the bottom is the answer.  Talk about a skewed view of what buyers really want!

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

I saw the same thing last night, then it changed back, I like it better the new way, hope they are changing the MBG for no return sellers.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

@pauliesthriftshop2016

I watch the news, big name stores are closing lelt and right to focus online.

Think about it, Kohls is closing mall stores, no more mall rent, or staff, or trucking. ( malls are dead )

Watch TV and count the ads for new selling sites, some sell new stuff.

But there are a bunch that say send us your shoes nd we will sell them for you.

and most of them say free shipping.

ebay is no longer the only game in town.

But the economy is in the tank also.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

yes dave but ebay is the game in town thats not even in the TOP 5 biggest online retailers!

http://netonomy.net/2013/01/30/top-5-largest-online-retailers-who-companies-how-did-they-make-it/

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

This is a big old electronic yard sale.  You are now hitting summer and will be competing with REAL yard sales.  We have had yard sales going on for over a month now.  My whole street was covered with tables last weekend.  I wish I had known so I could have put one out too but I was helping plan a wedding.  Sure you dont make as much at a RL yard sale but it is cash right now.  You cant target a search for a specific item but you can find some cool stuff and empty your house. Ebay is fine, there's just lots of competition.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Heres another list? Do you see EBAY anywhere?

Top 25 U.S. E-commerce Retailers

(ranked by annual sales)

Company: E-commerce Sales

(in U.S. millions):

E-commerce Share of Total Sales: 1. Amazon.com $79,268 74.1% 2. Wal-Mart Stores Inc. $13,484 2.8% 3. Apple $12,000 5.1% 4. Staples $10,700 55.5% 5. Macy’s $4,829 17.5% 6. The Home Depot $4,267 5.0% 7. Best Buy $3,780 9.4% 8. QVC $3,722 42.7% 9. Costco Wholesale $3,618 3.1% 10. Nordstrom $2,699 18.9% 11. Target $2,524 3.4% 12. Gap Inc. $2,519 15.6% 13. Williams-Sonoma $2,501 50.7% 14. Kohl’s $2,367 12.4% 15. Sears Holdings $2,057 7.9% 16. Wayfair $1,919 100.0% 17. Walgreens $1,883 1.7% 18. L Brands $1,816 15.4% 19. HSN $1,810 49.2% 20. Groupon $1,747 56.0% 21. Overstock.com $1,648 100.0% 22. Lowe’s $1,636 2.8% 23. Victoria’s Secret (L Brands) $1,485 19.9% 24. Nike $1,410 4.5% 25. Neiman Marcus $1,389 27.4% Source: eMarketer    

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

eBay does about 87 billion in sales, eBay is not really a retailer, it is a marketplace.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@pauliesthriftshop2016 wrote:

Online sales are topping retail right now EBAYS main competition is worth 2 WALMARTS in company size and share.

JUST NOT EBAY!  It couldnt be their ridiculous fees and policies  and that sellers and buyers have left in could it? Well yes it not only could but is. All you have to do is google the news.

Its not you its them! LOL

If you have found a better place to sell, why continue to waste your time here.

I am sure others are here because they are doing well.  And those who are not will eventually follow the logical conclusion and move their business elsewhere.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

pauliesthriftshop2016 wrote:

yes dave but ebay is the game in town thats not even in the TOP 5 biggest online retailers!

http://netonomy.net/2013/01/30/top-5-largest-online-retailers-who-companies-how-did-they-make-it/

THOSE are the real ones to avoid.. of course, only the one even takes outside sellers, but it's the GET LOST IN THE CROWD AND NEVER GET SEEN site, from what we're hearing.

Too big is a disadvantage when you're trying to stand out.  Too big means you're likely never seen at all.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply