cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Since hardly anyone gives FB anymore shouldn't ebay also tell the # of sales a seller has had

in a given amount of time on their FB page?

I find that only 10-15% of my buyers leave FB nowadays for me.  For someone like me who only sells maybe 100-200 items a year on ebay at the very most, I might only get  10 or 20 feedbacks in a year even though I sold 10 or 20 times that amount of items.

When buyers check out a sellers FB shouldnt it make sense that ebay  should also show the number of sales a seller has had in addition to just showing the number of FBs a seller received?

For example:  

Positives (1 month): 3   

Neutrals (1 month): 0

Negatives (1 month): 0

# of sales (1 month):  28

and so on for 6 months and 12 months.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Since hardly anyone gives FB anymore shouldn't ebay also tell the # of sales a seller has had

@nomore_1940 wrote:

in a given amount of time on their FB page?

I find that only 10-15% of my buyers leave FB nowadays for me.  For someone like me who only sells maybe 100-200 items a year on ebay at the very most, I might only get  10 or 20 feedbacks in a year even though I sold 10 or 20 times that amount of items.

When buyers check out a sellers FB shouldnt it make sense that ebay  should also show the number of sales a seller has had in addition to just showing the number of FBs a seller received?

For example:  

Positives (1 month): 3   

Neutrals (1 month): 0

Negatives (1 month): 0

# of sales (1 month):  28

and so on for 6 months and 12 months.

If I search a seller's sold items I can see roughly how many sales he has had in the past 1, 2, or 3 months.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Re: Since hardly anyone gives FB anymore shouldn't ebay also tell the # of sales a seller has had

If you check a seller's profile page, there should be some total sales information shown.

eburtonlab_0-1675098931967.png

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

To luckythe winner: Thats probably because you're an experienced seller.  I would bet the majority of buyers don't search sellers sold items like most of us sellers do but I think it would help if they could see how many successful sales a seller has had right there on the sellers FB page.  I doubt most buyers will take the time to search sellers sold items.  

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

@nomore_1940 

As @luckythewinner pointed out, you can look at the seller's completed and sold listings for recent sales and you can also look at the historical total number of items a seller has sold on their profile page. 

These are a few random examples: 

Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 12.13.43 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 12.14.16 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-30 at 12.14.38 PM.png

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

@eburtonlab wrote:

If you check a seller's profile page, there should be some total sales information shown.

eburtonlab_0-1675098931967.png

Yes! I noticed that. It's part of the redesign of those pages. Somewhat helpful, IMO, but also limited in its usefulness; for example, while that seller may have sold 59 items, how many of those transactions ended in INRs or INADs or whatever? S/he may have sold 59 items, but 20 of them may have resulted in returns/refunds.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

So can you name any valid reason why ebay should not list the number of items sold right on the FB page instead of expecting buyers to go searching their completed and sold listings which is something most buyers wont bother doing and half of the buyers wont even know how to do it anyway? 

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

@nomore_1940 wrote:

To luckythe winner: Thats probably because you're an experienced seller.  I would bet the majority of buyers don't search sellers sold items like most of us sellers do but I think it would help if they could see how many successful sales a seller has had right there on the sellers FB page.  I doubt most buyers will take the time to search sellers sold items.  

True.

But as you say most buyers do not understand eBay very well, and IMHO they would see 10-15 positives out 150 transactions and wonder why so few of your buyers appear to be happy.

Be careful what you ask for 🙂

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

how many of those transactions ended in INRs or INADs or whatever? S/he may have sold 59 items, but 20 of them may have resulted in returns/refunds.

Good point; I do not know exactly how eBay calculates those sales numbers.

A number that is just a straight count of sold listings may not be very meaningful; a scammer can rack up a lot of such sales very quickly selling vaporware.

If the number counts total paid transactions that is more useful.

Total paid transactions minus any INRs or INADs would be more useful still.

Best would be total successful transactions, plus a rough measure of total dollars those sales represent. This would help indicate the scammers that rack up sales of keychains before listing big ticket items that are never delivered.

I will see if I can look at some individual accounts to see how the numbers appear and try to draw some conclusions about what eBay is counting as a sale.

Any recent new sellers have any insight about your own numbers?

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@nomore_1940 wrote:

True.

But as you say most buyers do not understand eBay very well, and IMHO they would see 10-15 positives out 150 transactions and wonder why so few of your buyers appear to be happy.

Be careful what you ask for 🙂

To luckythewinner:

LOL I never thought of that.   

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

@eburtonlab wrote:

I will see if I can look at some individual accounts to see how the numbers appear and try to draw some conclusions about what eBay is counting as a sale.

In their SEC filings, eBay defines a transaction as one that's been paid for, so that would include cancellations before shipping or returns/refunds for any reason, whether remorse or MBG, as long as the buyer's payment was completed. I would guess--and it's only a guess--that the same definition would be applied in this case.

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@eburtonlab wrote:

how many of those transactions ended in INRs or INADs or whatever? S/he may have sold 59 items, but 20 of them may have resulted in returns/refunds.

Good point; I do not know exactly how eBay calculates those sales numbers.

A number that is just a straight count of sold listings may not be very meaningful; a scammer can rack up a lot of such sales very quickly selling vaporware.

If the number counts total paid transactions that is more useful.

Total paid transactions minus any INRs or INADs would be more useful still.

Best would be total successful transactions, plus a rough measure of total dollars those sales represent. This would help indicate the scammers that rack up sales of keychains before listing big ticket items that are never delivered.

Any recent new sellers have any insight about your own numbers?

How about this:

Instead of showing the # of positive transactions why not just substitute the # of successful transactions for the # of positive transactions and still keep the # of neutral transactions and the # of negative transactions showing?  That way the buyers could see how many total successful transactions and also the ones that weren't successful rather than just the very few positive ones that hardly anyone leaves nowadays.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

How are you defining "successful" transactions? You're aware, of course, that buyers may have up to 120 days to file a credit card dispute (depending on the terms of the card issuer) and 180 days to request a return/refund if they paid with PayPal. Would that number of "successful" transactions constantly be shifting with those disputes?

Another consideration is the buyers who file "false" cases/disputes against sellers. Many, if not most, of those buyers win those cases. How would anyone differentiate between legitimate INRs or INADs versus those that were filed by less-than-reputable buyers who know how to game eBay's MBG? We see thread after thread posted by sellers who've been scammed. Should their number be skewed as further punishment for that?

Check out the "Theory of Unintended Consequences."

It might be a good idea for you to formulate suggestions after you've been around a bit longer. Maybe read these discussion boards--both the Selling board and the Buying board--for six months or so and see how you feel about it after that.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

"It might be a good idea for you to formulate suggestions after you've been around a bit longer. Maybe read these discussion boards--both the Selling board and the Buying board--for six months or so and see how you feel about it after that."

I've been around for 23 years on my selling ID and have been involved during that time on both the selling and buying boards so I highly doubt that I need to "formulate suggestions after I've been around for a bit longer."  Maybe you should learn not to belittle someone before jumping to conclusions that don't apply.  Have a good day.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Hi @nomore_1940 

I think most of the responders assumed this was your only account ... since you were worried about buyers not realizing you were an experienced seller.  🙂

You do realize that none of us work for eBay ... and have no say at all in advising eBay how their site should look or be managed.  We DO realize that any changes that eBay makes to its site usually results in additional problems.  ☹️

Message 15 of 16
latest reply