cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I ship this expensive item?

Hi, I'm a fairly new seller. I have a $1,000 item that was purchased. It is pretty much, the main thing I needed to sell on eBay. 

The problem is, it was purchased by someone with no feedback. So I checked the address and it is in Doral, Miami. It is a forwarding company, other topics on this forum about it seemed relatively safe. However, they were for much cheaper items, and from buyers with history. 

I want to be super careful about this, I do not want get scammed. Should I ship this or not? My listing was for domestic only. 

I also searched the buyers email domain, it's for a company with little information and whose site does not work. It's called combex-im and is another Air Cargo Service. 

Nothing about this purchase makes me feel secure. And from my understanding if the buyer wants their money back they usually get it. 

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: Should I ship this expensive item?

@papermoneyforme wrote:

@missjen831 wrote:

@papermoneyforme wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

???

I said IF the OP cancels they should be honest and say out of stock because they are choosing not to provide their stock.

Scammers are not prone to complain so you the rerason that does not hurt you.

You are assuming it’s a scammer. With absolutely no proof. 

If its not a scammer then the OP gets a defect and negative feedback. And even if it is a scammer, he could still get negative feedback.

Yes, and from the other side, you are assuming they are not with no proof.

I’m not the one assuming things here. I haven’t advised the OP. I simply pointed out that you have assumed it’s a scammer. If you are going to do that, you should at least mention the negative implications that the app will face if he follows your advice.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 31 of 47
latest reply

If you do plan to ship out the item, you have to send it with signature confirmation and put insurance on it to cover yourself. 

If it was my order I would ship it, because you would never know a scammer with zero feedback or 500 or less or even more.

I have had items shiped to shipping companies and fortunately for me none of them were scammers.

Message 32 of 47
latest reply

@papermoneyforme wrote:

I fully agree.

All I am saying is no newby seller should be selling high scam expensive items on Ebay period, and Ebay should put a stop to it.

I agree with that, but they aren't going to give up that money.

Have a great day
Message 33 of 47
latest reply

kensgiftshop said,

"There's no reason to call CS, they are gonna say ship the item."

This is not necessarily true. I had a similar situation where a buyer from Columbia (a country I do not ship to) used a shipping forwarding company to purchase a printer. I called CS and was able to cancel the order with no problem to my account based on the fact that the buyer used the forwarding company to circumvent my shipping preferences. I took this action after checking the shipping forwarder on line and found several problems reported with shipments handled by them.

I know that some sellers feel that the OP should complete this sale. I believe that the OP is taking a disproportionate risk with this sale given all the circumstances and if they are not comfortable with the risk they should be able to cancel the sale. They should message the buyer to try and get them to reveal the final destination for their item. If it going to a country they do not ship to, call CS and get the sale cancelled. Then put the forwarding company on their blocked buyer list so the seller can't use another account to buy the item through the forwarding company again.

If a seller's preferences are set not ship to certain countries, then they should not have to ship to them with or without a forwarding company involved. The forwarding company is there to help a buyer circumvent a sellers preferences. Ebay's rules allow a seller to exclude ANY country.

One last thing, we have sent many items to buyers using forwarding companies without any problems. In this case the dollar amount would probably force us to research the company and seriously consider cancelling the sale ourselves. We use the Global Shipping Program and if a buyer wants to purchase one of our items, they can without using another forwarding company. Sometimes we make exceptions depending on the item and where it is going to. Those are our rules.

Message 34 of 47
latest reply

Hi, guys just an update....

I got scammed. Received a reversal today. Buyer is claiming it was an unauthorized purchased. 

I never saw the rest of your responses. And I am not happy with the first guys response.

Message 35 of 47
latest reply

Paypal is asking that I respond to the claim asking if I shipped it, calling right now

Message 36 of 47
latest reply

Ummm....

You didn't get scammed.

You just have to have proof of shipment and you win.

Message 37 of 47
latest reply

What ended up happening? I'm curious.
Message 38 of 47
latest reply

If you shipped with tracking just upload it to paypal.

Message 39 of 47
latest reply

Hi, probably not. I think it's popular to use as a POS device. So ebay got me a wider audience for business's. That's also why I felt comfortable shipping it to this company. Which btw is called Combex Im. I googled them, there was history, the names matched up ect. Googled the employees names used on the sale, it was being sent to c/o to an employee there. And paid for by the owner of the company.

I'm almost positive it was not unauthorized. Since today, after opening case. They sent me an email in Spanish, outside of ebay and paypal, with an attached PDF invoice(opened it in a vm) and evidence(which was just there written paypal complaint(which made no sense), asking for more $60 more. The wording, everything, had the same vibe as every scam template I've ever seen, overly cheery ect. I.E. "Good day good sir".

Again, company name is Combex-IM
Message 40 of 47
latest reply

The 1st one was another odd sale ( I won't be selling anything like this again), he didn't pay for days, knew he wasn't going to, was probably taking my item off the market since it was the only new one. 

The 2nd one was the sale, I think the name had Lopez in it. 

Message 41 of 47
latest reply

True
Message 42 of 47
latest reply

Correct, I guess Paypal got scammed. I got my money back. Called in spoke to the department. He told me what you had said, I asked if I should be concerned, he said I would get my money back and gave different scenarios. But it didn't sound sign sealed delivered. 

I didn't have time to send all the info I wanted to right away, because of my concerns and the long trip it was going to make, I took a video of my packaging sealing it ect. (even if it has no bearing I wanted to have it), so I wanted to include that. I wanted to include the email they sent me asking for more money, all the info I pulled on the company and buyer and signee. And I wanted to call the forwarding service and try to get info from them. I was not going to let it fly. I still plan on calling Paypal today and seeing if any of it is beneficial to them.

But yeah, anyways, before I had the chance to do any of that I recieved an email that it was decided in my favor. So it was a huge relief. Definitely won't be selling anything in that price range again. And will be firm on domestic shipping for the most part.  I figured their account was new, because they had to open an new US eBay account, considering it was a company and this is often used as a POS device or for special uses, and was one of the last "unopened" ones out there, I didn't think it was too odd. But yeah, won't be doing it again. Wouldn't have had I read the rest of the responses. 

Message 43 of 47
latest reply

*their 

Message 44 of 47
latest reply

Message 45 of 47
latest reply