cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping request that is just begging for a problem.

So...a buyer messaged me regarding the "way too high" cost of shipping for a pair of high-end new womans boots.  I told her that the size of the box that the boots came in required a certain size shipping box and hence the cost.  

After back and forth a couple of times she asked me to ditch the original box and ship in an envelope.  Are you kidding me!!  She originally said they were a gift so what does she think they would look like once received if I accommodated her request?

Some days you just have to laugh and shake it off.  Laughing as we speak 🙂

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Shipping request that is just begging for a problem.

Boots, even fashion boots, to say nothing of winter boots, are by definition bulky and heavy.

The shipping method is not particularly important.

Shipping will be expensive.

It's not unusual for high end coats, or even dresses, to come in a custom box. Guess you are not shopping in The Room at the Hudson's Bay very often.

The shipping method is always important given the wide range in cost to ship larger items. I just shipped a large box that was 33" x 13" x 6" and weighed 22 pounds. from the east coast to the mid-west. Shipping cost ranged from $32 for UPS ground to $80 for priority mail so yes the method is important. I was just curious how you were shipping and what the buyer thought was "expensive" shipping. 

Your correct I don't shop Hudson Bay very often. I am pretty active outdoors and prefer R.E.I. or Cabela's. 

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

A bit confused, I thought the question I asked was about an original box for a jacket/coat and what the brand was. Neither of these brands have an original box like boots or shoes would come in. While we purchase most of are clothing articles in France, Italy, or Hong Kong we have never seen a jacket or coat sold with an original box like a pair of shoes or boots would come in. That is why I asked since you said "original box".  We have seen a store put their name on a gift box, but why would someone get a gift box if they bought the coat for themselves. I guess it does not really matter, was just curious. Oh well enjoy your holidays. 

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

For me shipping charges are NON-NEGOTIABLE.

This is the shipping charge, take it or leave it.

Of course the time for a customer to ask about shipping charges is BEFORE they buy the item, not after.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 18 of 26
latest reply

It is reasonable to California, but that’s because it is a flat rate package.  If the buyer is in Florida, the charge would seem excessive.

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

For me shipping charges are NON-NEGOTIABLE.

This is the shipping charge, take it or leave it.

Of course the time for a customer to ask about shipping charges is BEFORE they buy the item, not after.

Semi agree on the "negotiable" part 100% agree on asking BEFORE purchase. While I won't negotiate on the shipping price for the shipping method I have with the listing, usually priority mail, I have negotiated with buyers, always before actual purchase, on offering a different shipping option at a lower cost. This generally involves offering something like UPS ground which is generally cheaper but also a bit slower. 

This is one of the down sides to using calculated or flat rate shipping. With free shipping of course the shipping cost is baked into the items price and the buyer does not see it separately. 

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

"I'm sorry, I cannot change what the USPS charges to ship these out. I input actual weight and package dimensions in my listing. The cost of shipping is what they charge, not what I charge."

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

Unreasonable requests from buyers need to be responded to with a big ole block.

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

So I wonder how many people are doing this because of our current state of the economy now. It’s a time ripe with people trying to save money. At the sellers expense.

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

I'm sorry you continue to be confused because I answered all of your questions. You asked where did I find a down jacket with a faux fur collar, where did the box come from, and what brand it was- three questions. All three questions were answered, I provided links to other down jackets with a faux fur collar. The store issued me a gift box, even though I was purchasing the jacket for myself, because it was a designers label. Gift box doesn't only apply to an actual gift, it has to do with branding designer items. Customers walking away with boxes covered with a brand name is a form of advertising. I answered the question on the brand, I no longer recall who it was. Please scroll back to my answers and along with this reply, you should now be clear. If not, feel free to send me a message and I will continue to explain for you so that this thread is not further hijacked. Happy holidays to yourself as well....

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

Good point. I didn't realize that it was a flat rate.

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

Yeah, I have noticed since the price increase earlier this year that I get a lot of offers that just happen to be discounted the same amount as the shipping cost. 

I have also started to put a short line in my listing for anything that is going to be dimensional weight about the size of the box and the carrier charges for items over a certain size. 

Message 26 of 26
latest reply