cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping request that is just begging for a problem.

So...a buyer messaged me regarding the "way too high" cost of shipping for a pair of high-end new womans boots.  I told her that the size of the box that the boots came in required a certain size shipping box and hence the cost.  

After back and forth a couple of times she asked me to ditch the original box and ship in an envelope.  Are you kidding me!!  She originally said they were a gift so what does she think they would look like once received if I accommodated her request?

Some days you just have to laugh and shake it off.  Laughing as we speak 🙂

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Buyers love to give advice on packing and shipping. 

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

@babsklassykloset wrote:

So...a buyer messaged me regarding the "way too high" cost of shipping for a pair of high-end new womans boots.  I told her that the size of the box that the boots came in required a certain size shipping box and hence the cost.  

After back and forth a couple of times she asked me to ditch the original box and ship in an envelope.  Are you kidding me!!  She originally said they were a gift so what does she think they would look like once received if I accommodated her request?

Some days you just have to laugh and shake it off.  Laughing as we speak 🙂

AND add her to your blocked buyer list just in case.

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

Years ago, I had a similar encounter. I was selling a beautiful black down jacket with a faux fur collar. It was lovely and worn only once. I priced it really low just to get rid of it. Buyer writes complaining about the shipping, asked me to send without the original box, and also told me to "just send it in an envelope". I said, it's a winter jacket so it's bulky no matter what you do. I ended up pulling the sale and blocking her because I knew she would be a problem. I sold it to a neighbor for triple what I had listed it at, since there was no shipping to deal with. It was the buyer's loss.... 

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

I don't see the boots listed on this account so no idea of size or what is "way too high shipping cost". How were you shipping? 

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

Sometimes you just have to laugh. That being said the back and forth was a waste of your time. A simple shipping is not negotiable message should have been the end of it. A buyer gives not a whoo haw about size of box and so on and so on. Unfortunately, this behavior on the part of buyers has become a reason to put them on the blocked bidder list.  The I am in charge entitled attitude is an attitude you do not need to deal with.

I had something similar years and years ago so this is not new. I had a potential buyer that insisted I could ship an 18" china platter in a medium flat rate box. Response. Do you want that broken into small pieces or large pieces? Once in awhile end of rope is reached.

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

Where did you find a down jacket with a faux fur collar that came in an original box. We have bought lots of jackets through the years and never had one come in an original box, let alone a box. What was the brand?

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

Dear buyer,

I'm sorry, but the shipping cost is not negotiable.  If this is not agreeable to you I'll be happy to cancel the sale.

Thank you,

Seller

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 8 of 26
latest reply

@dnasilver 

I bought it to go on a ski trip and only wore it that one time. I am not a ski person and knew I would never use it again. This is not the exact same jacket; I purchased mine some seven years ago. Mine was also shorter in the waist than this one is, but you asked for a comparison. 

Sam Edelman Hooded Down & Feather Fill Parka with Faux Fur Trim | Nordstrom

I believe mine was Ralph Lauren but it was years ago so I may be confusing it with another brand. This one looks more as I recall the jacket, but it had more pockets. 

Lauren Ralph Lauren Faux Fur Trim Down & Feather Puffer Coat | Nordstrom

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

They are Michael Kors size 6 Dani Studded boots.  Shipping Priority

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

$22 for shipping Priority from Florida to California seems very reasonable!

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

"I regret that you are not happy with your purchase. I can easily cancel it and refund you in full."

"I regret that you are not happy with your purchase. I can easily cancel it and refund you in full."

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt 

Boots, even fashion boots, to say nothing of winter boots, are by definition bulky and heavy.

The shipping method is not particularly important.

Shipping will be expensive.

It's not unusual for high end coats, or even dresses, to come in a custom box. Guess you are not shopping in The Room at the Hudson's Bay very often.

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

The box for the jacket was actually quite nice. The person I sold the jacket to seemed to love the box more than the jacket, lol. I love those types of custom boxes and dust covers for handbags. A perk of buying designer items.... 

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

I had a buyer who asked me to reduce the shipping in half and then I asked him sure, but I would have to cut the 1:18 scale car in half so that it could travel at the 1 lb rate from NY to California.  Iasked him if he preferred the front half or the back half.  He responded to please not cut the car!   Back then I did exact shipping too.   He did pay and was very happy with his purchase. 

Had he asked before bidding, I would have blocked.

Message 15 of 26
latest reply