cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping Discounts for Sellers

As a seller, I've noticed that sometimes I get a discount on shipping and sometimes I don't.  I thought this had to do with whether or not the buyer used Buy It Now, but I didn't get any type of discount at an auction that just ended.  This shipping is through eBay, printing my label through eBay.  

What determines if a seller gets a discount on shipping or not?  It seems to be random, and I'm not crazy about that.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@kssearswrote:

What determines if a seller gets a discount on shipping or not?  It seems to be random, and I'm not crazy about that.  Thank you.

It is not random, but it is not a fixed percentage either. And if you are a Top Rated Seller, you get a better discount.

The discounts are based on the USPS Commercial Base discount rate or the USPS Commercial Plus discount rate (if you are TRS). 

https://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/dmm300/notice123.pdf

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm a top rated seller and I get the padded priority large envelopes by the 100 quy. free from usps online. These cost me 6.90 for the eBay label, while under 1 lb first class is about 4.40, and 8 oz or under is about 3.00, I hope this helps.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

The last two item sold had First Class Package for shipping, there is no additional discount for that service.

I noticed in those listings you also offered Parcel Select, I highly recommend you not do that if you can ship First Class.

1 - It's more expensive for light items

2 - It's slower

3 - The way you have it set-up Parcel Select is showing first and in search results that is the rate that the buyer will see.

One of you items is showing $7.10 in search results and the main listing page, it's not until you get to the shipping tab of the listing do you see that First Class is available for $4.45 and I'd bet many buyers never look at that page.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@slippinjimmywrote:

One of you items is showing $7.10 in search results and the main listing page, it's not until you get to the shipping tab of the listing do you see that First Class is available for $4.45 and I'd bet many buyers never look at that page.

Yup.   Buyer sees the listing showing as $7.10 shipping cost, thinks that's pretty high, and goes on past.   She never even goes in to read further, so never sees that she is offered the option of a less costly way to ship.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@slippinjimmywrote:

The last two item sold had First Class Package for shipping, there is no additional discount for that service.

I noticed in those listings you also offered Parcel Select, I highly recommend you not do that if you can ship First Class....

eBay sellers get a nice discount on the postage for First Class packages.  The retail price for a 10-ounce package is $4.45, but the online eBay label price is $3.50.

As noted, there is no point in offering Parcel Select if you offer First Class package, since the latter service is cheaper and faster.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

So I took a gander at the Mori Lee listing and it was as I suspected.

You are giving choices for shipping 

Priority Mail $8.75 (to me)

Parcel Select $7.40 (to me)

You are using Retail (counter) Rates for your Priority Mail pricing - which you get the online rate for when purchasing label on eBay.  

While you may be using Retail Rates and have your settings to do so, Parcel Select isn't a retail service.  It is only an online service.  Thus, the price for Parcel Select shown to the customer is the pice you'll pay for the label.

Lose the Parcel Select option.   That same dress if you ship it Parcel Select or Priority (online) ultimately costs about the same (maybe 5 cents difference)

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@partial*eclipsewrote:

@slippinjimmywrote:

I noticed in those listings you also offered Parcel Select, I highly recommend you not do that if you can ship First Class....

eBay sellers get a nice discount on the postage for First Class packages.  The retail price for a 10-ounce package is $4.45, but the online eBay label price is $3.50.

The $3.50 price is available from any of the online postage vendors, it's not a special deal only from eBay.

The eBay TRS discount for Priority and for some International mail classes is good, available from some but not all other online providors.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I have been a top seller for several years now and, although I have outstanding feedback, do not get a discount. When I print a label, eBay lists a phony discount that does not exist. It ranges from 2% to 21%. If I use the same weight, size of box, and zip code the package is going to in the USPS postage calculator on line, it is the same price as eBay's is with the "discount."  Just another eBay trick to make the seller think they are getting good benefits from eBay. Very deceptive.

Also, I think it is even more wrong for eBay to take a 10% fee for the cost of postage while telling the seller they are getting a "discount". How is it they are able to make money from the Post Office postage

@kssears wrote:

As a seller, I've noticed that sometimes I get a discount on shipping and sometimes I don't.  I thought this had to do with whether or not the buyer used Buy It Now, but I didn't get any type of discount at an auction that just ended.  This shipping is through eBay, printing my label through eBay.  

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
fee?

Message 10 of 10
latest reply