cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping Cap Gun Caps with USPS

Does USPS allow cap gun caps to be shipped? I can't find the answer on their site, and I'm not sure if they are considered explosives or not. 
Thanks

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I thought you were not allowed to sell them on ebay, only the empty box for vintage collectors.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Yes you can ship capguns they aren't considered explosive..

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I do not think the OP is selling a cap gun rather the caps that go in it.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

If you hear the sound of bam bam when you shoot them with a gun!

Then, they are explosive Smiley Very Happy

latest reply

Exactly.  I doubt they could be sent through the air.

If allowed, it would probably have to go ground.

I shipped a cake to my daughter across country and I could not put dry ice in the box.  I had to buy gel caps to keep it cold.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

For some reason I was reading that wrong. I've sold them and shipped them in the past without a problem. Greenie caps are just money in the bank if you can find them...

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Explosive doesn't necessarily  mean explosive, just like flammable doesn't necessarily mean flammable.

All depends on USPS/DOT definitions and criteria (in the case of flammable:flashpoint, amounts, etc).

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_019.htm is what applies

341 Explosives (Hazard Class 1)

d. Division 1.4 consists of explosives that present a minor blast hazard. Examples are common

fireworks, toy caps, empty primed grenades, and some small arms ammunition.

341.2 Mailability, Packaging, and Marking
Explosives are generally prohibited from mailing under 18 U.S.C. 1716.

The following conditions apply to the mailing of explosives:
 a. International Mail. All explosives are prohibited.
 b. Domestic Mail via Air Transportation. All explosives are prohibited.
 c. Domestic Mail via Surface Transportation. Generally, explosives are prohibited. The only exceptions are for Division 1.4S toy propellant devices and safety fuses that have been approved by the manager, Product Classification, USPS Headquarters, Washington, DC, prior to mailing as stated in 341. A shipping paper is required.

It looks like sub-section (c) above applies since they don't fall into division 1.4s*  which makes them non-mailable.

Looking at Class 1 Compatibility Codes for toy caps  in 49 CFR 173.52

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2014-title49-vol2/pdf/CFR-2014-title49-vol2-subtitleB-chapI-subcha... (pages 498-500)

and based on Wikipedia information that older caps may be formulated with Armstrong's mixture, a sensitive primary explosive, it looks like the caps might be Class 1.4B which is not USPS shippable.

Most of the prohibition here seems to be based on additional hazards in case of the package being in a fire, and the caps detonating, not the caps going off like a bomb by themselves and taking down a 747.

Having said that, it looks like they ship all day long on Amazon (some even fulfilled by Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Super-Bang-Roll-Caps-total/dp/B07BSPLTXV ), newer Chinese caps (that may not be classed the same) appear to be sold and shipped by Dollar Tree, but Walmart.com does not ship the caps at all, they are sold in store only, and that item has a note about them not being returnable by mail due to Federal restrictions ( https://www.walmart.com/ip/Legends-2-400-Shots-Roll-Caps/17300820 )

My guess based on all that would be that they are not technically shippable via USPS.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Got to love the cryptic and lenghtly post codes.

Can't ship in a beer box...because alcohol is flammable...as if the flash point of Miller Lite is lower than cardboard.

If you can get beer to burst into flame you have bigger problems than the fire, you need to figure out how to get out of the volcano you fell into.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

There was a poster here named time machine who posted about one of his boyhood antics of taking out several rolls of these caps and then dropping a rock on them.  He said the bang had neighbors looking out their windows.  It was extremely loud.

So yes if you are shipping a lot of them they can go off.  And I still remember reading where only the empty box could be sold for collectors.

I could not send a cake with dry ice packs through the air, so I doubt these can be either.

@Anonymous

Hi Trinton, could you clarify please.  Can cap gun caps be sold here?

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@emerald40 wrote:

There was a poster here named time machine who posted about one of his boyhood antics of taking out several rolls of these caps and then dropping a rock on them.  He said the bang had neighbors looking out their windows.  It was extremely loud.

So yes if you are shipping a lot of them they can go off.  And I still remember reading where only the empty box could be sold for collectors.

I could not send a cake with dry ice packs through the air, so I doubt these can be either.

@Anonymous

Hi Trinton, could you clarify please.  Can cap gun caps be sold here?

Hi @emerald40, while Cap Guns are allowed to be sold on the site, the related ammunition does pose a hazard as they contain combustible materials and are subsequently not allowed. Our full policy on hazardous, restricted or regulated materials can be found here.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@Anonymous

Thank you so much for confirming that.  I did not think they were allowed to be sold here.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@emerald40 wrote:

@Anonymous

Thank you so much for confirming that.  I did not think they were allowed to be sold here.

Hi @emerald40, no problem! Happy to help where I can slight_smile

Message 13 of 13
latest reply