cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Metrics - The Equivalent of Stealing Money Outwardly

We are one of the larger sellers of OEM auto parts on eBay, and have been for many years.

We offer completely free returns, even for buyers that simply "change their minds", but of course every month we enter the "very high items not as described" threshold.

Every single case that has been opened against us for "items not as described" has been completely proven that the buyer simply ordered the wrong part for their application. The words "items not as described" should equate that we sent the customer the wrong part, or a part that was not in brand new condition etc. Buyers know in all facets of online shopping they just need to lie a little to get what they want.

Furthermore, if we are offering "free returns", why should we be penalized with an extra 5% of fees anyway? It's not like the good folks at eBay are footing the bill for us, we are still out the shipping costs both ways. 

We sell exactly the same amount of parts on Amazon every single month, and guess what? We get about 80% less in returns from the parts sold on Amazon. Why is that you ask? eBay encourages scam behavior.

I know you guys are losing market share and there probably won't be an eBay in 10 years, but you really should strongly consider erasing this policy and I mean quickly. We started last year making plans to leave eBay, and are going to do so sooner rather than later.

Shameless cash grabs are a sign of desperation, and a message to the community that you are scared to death of going under.

Message 1 of 134
latest reply
133 REPLIES 133

Re: Service Metrics - The Equivalent of Stealing Money Outwardly

For the first time since inception, Amazon sales are consistently higher than eBay. Amazon has a small fraction of the SKUs. I am even paying less fees on Amazon overall for the majority of SKUs vs. eBay.

Amazon does have its own headaches that require Advil on standby, but honestly eBay has surpassed the amount of headache occurrences in the past year. Writing is on the wall.

I used to be highly anti-Amazon and truly loved selling on eBay. Times change.

Message 121 of 134
latest reply

@frugality_inc wrote:

Amazon does have its own headaches that require Advil on standby, but honestly eBay has surpassed the amount of headache occurrences in the past year. Writing is on the wall.

I used to be highly anti-Amazon and truly loved selling on eBay. Times change.

Agreed, but at least they do not dip their hands into our pockets in unethical ways. The person that instituted this gash grab at eBay should be fired, no exaggeration. 

Message 122 of 134
latest reply

Two 'Very High' categories at 1.08% and 1.51% as of the most recent update.

Last time I checked that's better than the average return rate online.

Spoke with a supervisor in merchant support and they did confirm that automatic service metric case removals should be working if the seller is top rated and the buyer is reported under the return case. That's far from the truth.

My cases got sent to a mysterious back office team, aka the trash can.

Service metric scams, promoted listing abuse, eBay backstabbing early managed payment sellers, eBay protecting Chinese counterfeiters of our own brands, getting suspended twice erroneously this year for us protecting our own intellectual property against those same Chinese counterfeiters that eBay's VeRO protects.

I am beyond fed up with this platform.

Message 123 of 134
latest reply

@frugality_inc wrote:

Two 'Very High' categories at 1.08% and 1.51% as of the most recent update.

Last time I checked that's better than the average return rate online.

Spoke with a supervisor in merchant support and they did confirm that automatic service metric case removals should be working if the seller is top rated and the buyer is reported under the return case. That's far from the truth.

My cases got sent to a mysterious back office team, aka the trash can.

Absolutely zero cases are removed now, under any circumstances.

For a year, we sent proof of every case violation and it kept our metrics low because support would remove them for us, then they stopped that completely once they realized their cash grab wouldn't work that way.

Message 124 of 134
latest reply

For a year, we sent proof of every case violation and it kept our metrics low because support would remove them for us, then they stopped that completely once they realized their cash grab wouldn't work that way.

I've never had an open case in Service Metrics successfully removed. I've reported MANY of them, and only ones where we had proof that the buyer made a false claim. In some cases, we even had eBay messages with the buyer admitting that they had opened the case for the wrong reason. Still not one removed by eBay. I've also never heard any response from the review team that supposedly reviews these reports we file.

THIS should be grounds for a class action, particularly for Top Rated Sellers. The "Seller Protections" page on eBay still says we're supposed to be protected from false claims, but eBay is not following their own guidelines:

Seller Protections.JPG

Message 125 of 134
latest reply

@fsquaredperformance wrote:

I've never had an open case in Service Metrics successfully removed. I've reported MANY of them, and only ones where we had proof that the buyer made a false claim. In some cases, we even had eBay messages with the buyer admitting that they had opened the case for the wrong reason. Still not one removed by eBay. I've also never heard any response from the review team that supposedly reviews these reports we file.

THIS should be grounds for a class action, particularly for Top Rated Sellers. The "Seller Protections" page on eBay still says we're supposed to be protected from false claims, but eBay is not following their own guidelines:

We also agree to their terms of service which puts us in a bind from a class action standpoint. (specifically regarding arbitration)

The problem is, eBay would rather die a slow death than run a reputable business where sellers want to be a part of their platform. 

Message 126 of 134
latest reply

eBay revenue UP 11% in the third quarter, while GMV (gross sales on the platform) DOWN 10% since last year. Anyone surprised?

Message 127 of 134
latest reply

This is STILL going on, and customers are STILL scamming. Since the first post of this thread, we have moved nearly 80% of our inventory to Amazon solely. Wake up eBay, this is NOT the way to run a reputable business. 

Message 128 of 134
latest reply

Not only there is an extra 5% penalty fee added but sellers are penalized by having items burried in searches. You also cover shipping both ways and sometimes item is not the item you shipped (can’t be relisted). Customers use all sort of reasons. Recent is „wrong item sent” when item doesn’t fit their car or they done testing the issue with that car. Ebay is also happy to open not as described to count in metrics past your free 30 days return window (i had couple of those never removed from metrics). I think recently is even worse it just shows more desparation with Ebay chasing sellers out of the platform by excess of fees and making sales unprofitable.

Message 129 of 134
latest reply

I have been selling on eBay for 20 years with a 100% rating and yesterday I removed all of my listings.  I have had ENOUGH.  EBAY stole 6% of my Gross Sales because of mysterious “defects” in which they completely LIED about “seller did not close case” when there was no case to close.   I’m planning to research Consumer Protection laws regarding UNFAIR BUSINESS PRACTICES.  eBay is just as corrupt as PAY PAL, who I sued in my local small claims court.  Only then did Pay Pal magically return the $6000 they stole from me.

If eBay’s fraudulent actions meet the requirements for a class action lawsuit, it will not be difficult to find a law firm to represent us.  Will keep y’all posted if eBay doesn’t close this forum in the meantime.

Message 130 of 134
latest reply

2020 thread

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 131 of 134
latest reply

This whole week has been resurrect the dead threads.  🙄

Message 132 of 134
latest reply

@downunder-61  @rockbottomauto 

it is not dead thread original poster  stated  recently  “This is STILL going on, and customers are STILL scamming. Since the first post of this thread, we have moved nearly 80% of our inventory to Amazon solely. Wake up eBay, this is NOT the way to run a reputable business. “ . But someone tagged him already and reported for archiving.

Message 133 of 134
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 134 of 134
latest reply