cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending Invoices

I am trying to send an invoice to a buyer. The normal payment no longer works for the buyer for some reason. I haven't sold in a few years, but I got back into it with this account and I remember being able to send invoices. I no longer can, however. I have spent hours searching the internet, each method of sending an invoice on eBay doesn't work. They all give a path of buttons to click, then at a certain page the buttons they ask for just don't exist. There is no "Send Invoice" option, anywhere. I scoured this community for at least an hour, I can't find any news of eBay retracting the ability to send invoices. eBays own site gives a method of sending invoices, which also doesn't work. I just want to send an invoice, I have no idea why they are so hard to find. If eBay stopped allowing invoices, great, I'd love to know. If there is still a way, I'd also love to know.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Sending Invoices

They all give a path of buttons to click, then at a certain page the buttons they ask for just don't exist. There is no "Send Invoice" option, anywhere. 

Just some "food for thought".  You cannot send an invoice unless you have a "real buyer", as in winner of your auction, you accepted an offer, or someone chose Buy IT Now for multiple items and ebay did not force them to pay right away.   Do you actually have a "buyer" or someone wanting a PayPal invoice perhaps?  They ask you to text or call them?  email them?  (All are RED FLAGS for scams). 

Once in a while a buyer cannot check out, but that is typically resolved in a few hours.  eBay sends reminders for them to pay.   There is no need for you to send an invoice unless it is a multiple item purchase for which you combine shipping.  

A little more detail about this would be helpful. 

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Sending Invoices

Yes, it’s a real buyer. They chose “buy it now”, and have already attempted payment once. It didn’t work, so I suggested I could send an invoice. But I can’t.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Sending Invoices

I don't know why you can't send an invoice, but normally I wouldn't think you should anyway.  Ebay sends them.

On this ID it shows your feedback number as zero with one sale for $2000.  I would proceed very carefully.  Maybe your buyer doesn't know you have any experience and is trying to take advantage of that.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Sending Invoices

Welcome to 2020.

The buyer wants an invoice so they can glean your email address. They will then send you a very real looking, but fake Paypal payment email in the hopes that you are too naive to verify the payment directly before you ship. In other words, they want to steal your stuff.

There is absolutely NO REASON a buyer of a single item would need an invoice. Ebay already sends one. They can pay directly by clicking the pay now button.

The only legitimate reason that I can think of for sending an invoice is in the case of combined discounted shipping for a multiple item purchase.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Sending Invoices

There is absolutely NO REASON a buyer of a single item would need an invoice. Ebay already sends one. They can pay directly by clicking the pay now button.

For the most part, that is exactly correct.  Even if the seller could send an invoice, for example in the case of multiple AUCTION wins by a single buyer, they won't be able to pay that eBay invoice either if there is indeed a problem with the check out flow.  There has been recent reported issues with the MP scenario, and buyers unable to pay. 

There was a post a few weeks ago that said ebay CS (any advice given by these people should be taken with a grain of salt so to speak) told the seller to send a PayPal invoice for the transaction since there was indeed a problem with eBay checkout at the time.  One would have to be aware as pointed out above, the possibility of a the PHONY payment notification as a result.  

Personally, I would be hesitant to follow that advice and would likely just file the UPI dispute after a reasonable amount of time should all "settings" be in order.  Perhaps the buyer should contact Customer Service to see what the issue might be?   

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Sending Invoices

@brequ7386 wrote:

Yes, it’s a real buyer. They chose “buy it now”, and have already attempted payment once. It didn’t work, so I suggested I could send an invoice. But I can’t.

If they chose "Buy It Now",  ebay will charge their method of payment that they choose.  If their payment did not go thru then that to me would be a red flag. You should not send an invoice - they are just wanting some personal info. Proceed with caution - we live in a new world- seller beware!!

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Sending Invoices

Thank you for the advice, but the buyer has been here longer than even my veteran account and has more feedback than my veteran account as well. 100%. I’m not really worried about him, as much as I’m worried about him getting suspicious of me. I’m trying my best but this situation definitely looks fishy on his end.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Sending Invoices

Why would it look fishy as you don’t have any control of the payment process.

As others have said, sending an invoice through eBay isn’t going ‘fix’ whatever their payment problem is as the invoice will be identical to what they see in the checkout process.  The exception would be if they want you to ship to another country and you need to add in a shipping cost.

What sort of problem are they having when they try to pay...what message are they seeing?

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Sending Invoices

@brequ7386 wrote:

IMHO an eBay invoice is not going to help them pay for the item through eBay if they cannot pay for it through eBay without the invoice. 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Sending Invoices

Original question was not answered...how do you send an invoice? And why should it be so hard to even find it? 

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Sending Invoices

@joyandkate wrote:

Original question was not answered...how do you send an invoice? And why should it be so hard to even find it? 

To answer your second question first, it's not something you normally need to send, unless you're doing some kind of combined shipping deal or similar in which you need to override eBay's original total. But in this case, you're selling one item, a $2000 train set, so the buyer should not be coming to you with a payment problem. If he's having problems paying, an invoice is not going to solve his issue; he needs to work it out with eBay.

Incidentally, I agree that the buyer doesn't look suspicious as far as his buying pattern is concerned, as he has a history of buying S-scale trains only, as opposed to a random list of smart phones, laptops or whatever.

You can send an invoice by going to your Sold items page and finding that option in the Actions column for that item. You might also find a Send Invoice action in the sold listing itself, although I don't have any unpaid Sold items at this moment to verify that. 

I would not suggest sending an invoice in this case because (1) it won't help, and (2) it will serve to lock in the Shipping charge to the buyer's default location, rather than to whatever other destination he might choose at payment time, leaving you to eat the difference. 

Your buyer already bid $2,500 on your train set, retracted that, then won it with a single bid of $2,000, so if he really wants it, he should be able to work out his payment problem himself. He might be getting cold feet and hoping that you will offer to cancel.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Sending Invoices

@brequ7386 wrote:

Your buyer did not use "Buy it now."  They placed a bid when the auction had just 14 seconds left to run. They won for the opening bid price because there were no other bidders. We have no way of knowing the full amount of the proxy bid that they entered; it might even have been $2500 again.

There have been several reports of payment problems in the past few days. This could be an eBay glitch rather than a problem on your buyer's end.  I'm sorry I don't know any workarounds.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Sending Invoices

I can’t find it either. Sending invoices is a total nightmare and it should BE easy - Ebay!

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Sending Invoices

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply