cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling on Ebay

Hello,

I Sold a Nash Air Cleaner on Ebay....Made a Cool $50 ...But Had to Ship it to California...Customer Didn't Mind

paying the High Shipping (Postage)Cost Bringing the total to $133.00  roughly....He Was Happy !

I Was Happy Until I Got Charged the FINAL VALUE FEE INCLUDING SHIPPING...!! I DIDNT MAKE THAT MONEY

THE POST OFFICE DID ...!!! I HAVE 100% POSITIVE FEEDBACK AND NEVER CHARGED A "HANDLING FEE"

BUT I SOLD MY AIR CLEANER FOR A $50 AND PAID OVER $17 FEES.....WHAT A RIP OFF ...I PAID MORE FOR THE

THING MYSELF....  GREED IS RUINING THIS FORMERLY GOOD CLASSIC CAR PARTS SITE.... !!!

I had a tbird Door handle for sale for a lousy $15 ....What If I Have to Send it to California...??  Flat rate box is 

around $9 .... basing the Fee on my $15 added to the $9 Shipping Leaves me With What....??  NOTHING

What a Great Policy You Have Installed....Really Fair ...TO EBAY THAT'S It.....!! If Something Is NOT CORRECTED SOON I AM CANCELING MY 100% GOOD STANDING ACCOUNT.... THERE IS ONLY SO MUCH I CAN STAND.......!!! cheapoparts      Soon to Leave.

Note: I Only Have a few Items Left.... and I Will carefully Re-Consider Putting Anything Else on Here ..unless

I "Crank The Price Up " So I Can Make Any Money At All......?????

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Selling on Ebay

I don't think Ebay is to worried about it, as the economy keeps tanking there will be many more people that will come here to try and make quick cash. No need to say but they will get their fees learn on to. Next seller please

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Selling on Ebay

I guess greed was running PayPal too when they charged you a percentage of the sales tax your buyer paid, which eBay is also charging you now.  The policy eBay "installed" that you are objecting to was "installed" several years ago.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Selling on Ebay

I don’t recall PayPal charging anyone 13.25% of taxes collected. That’s just egregious. 

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Selling on Ebay

It's nothing new...  If I buy a TV at Best Buy online and have it shipped, pay with a card then BestBuy's fee's paid out to the card processor are based on the total sale... Item,  tax and shipping.  Now a card processor tends to have a rate of 2.5%-3.5% per transaction plus .25 cents.  Assuming eBay is paying standard rate's for card processing they make about 10% total sale gross.

The problem with not including shipping in the total fee is that sellers then charge $5 for an item and $50 shipping when actual shipping was say $10.  The Postal Service is putting many sellers under and those rates are going to continue to climb.  

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Selling on Ebay

Then you weren't paying attention when PayPal was processing your payouts.  It's not egregious now, and it wasn't egregious then.  It's how payment processing works.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Selling on Ebay

The final value fee information is available to all sellers.  The final value is charged to sellers calculated on the item price, the shipping fee and the state sales tax, if any.

The FVF has included the shipping fee for probably 11 years or so.  You have sold during that time and didn't notice that? 

If you have to send the door handle to CA, won't you figure out the shipping cost and charge that to the buyer? 

Well, best of luck wherever you choose to sell.  Be sure to read up on fees before choosing a venue.  

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Selling on Ebay

Was it a full moon last night?

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Selling on Ebay

Hi!

I try not to sell heavy items here. There are other places you can sell them without shipping fees😊

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Selling on Ebay

The antique auto parts business has been hard on here for some time.  If you're not dealing with sellers who cut their prices to $7 for a part that nobody else has or most people are $35 or higher on how can you compete?  Shipping to the West coast eats up a lot of profit.  The profit margin is so tight on some things they're basically loss leaders at this point.  Just more fluff for my taxes.  A part for $7.00 with free shipping is nothing.  A cast iron part that can't fit in a flat rate box or envelope is almost a total loss if it's under $25.00

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Selling on Ebay

It is interesting that you mention greed.

The reason that eBay charges the fee on shipping is because originally fees were only charged on the item only and sellers abused it.  Greedy sellers figured out they could charge $1 for an item and $500 for the shipping, pocketing the difference between the label cost and the shipping paid. This way they got the full value for the item, but they were only charged eBay fees on the item cost ($1).  Sellers were abusing the process to avoid paying fees, so eBay put a stop to it and here we are. 

If you are charging retail rate for the shipping, the price difference between the cost charged to the buyer and the price paid for the shipping "should" cover the fee. There are situations where it does not, and that is where you need to be careful of your pricing and what you are selling. 

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Selling on Ebay

@cheapoparts wrote:

If Something Is NOT CORRECTED SOON I AM CANCELING MY 100% GOOD STANDING ACCOUNT.... THERE IS ONLY SO MUCH I CAN STAND.......!!!

Hopefully after ebay sees this rant they will stop charging fees on shipping.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Selling on Ebay

I agree 100% but how to fix the problem is the issue.  Ebay will not change because we sellers are getting ripped off, they don't care. So how to fix the problem. Do not ship anything that the cost of shipping is more than 1/2 the item list price. Basically, you cannot sell anything for less than $15 because average shipping is $7. Also make sure you always use calculated shipping then you do not have to worry where the item gets sent. Lastly add 10% handling fee to every order to make up the scam Ebay charges you.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Selling on Ebay

Paypal charged 2.9 percent if I remember correctly.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Selling on Ebay

Don't know, but judging from posts here, don't believe a full moon is one of the indicators.  

Message 15 of 18
latest reply