cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling going downhill

Has anyone noticed that there selling is going down?  I haven't sold anything since Oct.30th. I usually sell lots of stuff in November.  Is it political or Covid?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Selling going downhill

Probably both, and then some. The world is going downhill at the moment.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

My sales have been very strong for the past 8 weeks

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Niche sellers often are less affected by downturns.   So how many of your sales are going to the US??   

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

While my normal listings are down, which is normal for November (actually for October to Christmas Day ) in my categories, I have had strong sales of discount postage.

My customers are coming to me... and most of them are eBay sellers looking to cut their shipping costs.

To me that says that there are sellers who are busy and who expect to continue being busy.

My "real" products start selling on Boxing Day, when my collectors start buying for themselves with all that pent-up demand, and that will continue until March.

It helps to keep a month to month and year to year record. Mine go back to 1998-- and really for ten years before that  for our B&M shop. The holiday period was, let's say restful, which was worrisome until we looked at that year to year record when the explanation  became clear.

PS- Most of my discount postage is Canadian. Sorry.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I think a lot depends on what you sell.

Are you selling items people need or want.

I think more people are buying what they need and putting off buying what they want.

Have a great day.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

My sales have been fine. A dip here and there due to me putting my store on "vacation mode" a few times. But overall, I've sold a good amount in November. This will be my first ebay Christmas, so not sure what to expect for the next month and a half....

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

It's a combination of things. A lot of people were anxious about the election, the economy, the COVID situation, the upcoming holiday's, etc. It all depends on what you are selling. People are focused on actual needs at the moment and maybe holding back a little bit on nice to have items just in case things don't go well over the next several months. It will be interesting to see what happens with regards to COVID and the growing second wave of cases. Any restrictions federal, state or local areas put into place that could impact people's income or employment may have an adverse impact on sales, again depending on what you are selling. 

While overall online sales are up 42% from a year ago a lot of that shift has been toward the purchase of needs to avoid social interaction at brick and mortar stores. For example there has been a huge increase in online grocery shopping

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

A little bit. I've noticed more cancels than usual.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply