cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling fees increased after "signing up" managed payments

Recently I sold my old ThinkPad laptops and  I noticed the selling fee increased: $51.17 out of an order total of $411.90 (a 12.4%) and $42.23 out of an order total of $299.55 (a 14%), contrary to the stated 10%. Then I recall signing up something of "managed payments" (before the 2 sales), which I misunderstood as for adding and verifying my bank account.

I have not found an opt out method on eBay and from what I read eBay is not giving an easy way out. I was fine with PayPal (the old way).  Other changes that I noticed is that the selling fees get deducted immediately, as vs. the old way where final values are paid in monthly bills.  

Call wait time is 112 minutes showing on my screen. Will check another day. 

Message 1 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Re: Selling fees increased after "signing up" managed payments

"Every seller should track for themselves over time to see how Managed Payments compares to old PayPal rates.  Some sellers may find savings, some may find it is neutral, and some may find it is higher - a lot of it depends on your specific business and whether you have a large proportion of sales going to high tax rate states."

Yes, exactly. There are so many variables.  For instance, several states exempt clothing from sales tax, so sellers in the Clothing category are more likely to find that their fees work out lower under MP.

Message 16 of 51
latest reply

Thank you for the advice. 

EBay has been one of the depots for parts and supplies for household repairs and hobby over the years; I also help friends with upgrading/repairing their personal computers. "Selling" is more like a seasonal garage sale to clean up shelf space. I have not been paying attention to eBay policy changes as a not-motivated and not-active "seller." 

Thank you all for sharing insights. I am grateful to you all. 

Message 17 of 51
latest reply

@hpenryessentials 

@hpenryessentials wrote:

PayPal has always used the entire transaction for their metrics and that includes sales tax, so when you were using PayPal, you were paying essentially the same amount. It will take some time for you to see the actual differences in your selling costs but they're there. 

You are correct in that Paypal did charge their processing fees on the Sales Tax all along and that is also how it is done for Brick and Mortar stores.  But there is a huge difference between paying 2.96% on the Sales Tax which is the normal processing fee. However, Ebays Managed Payments charges 12.3% on the Sales Tax which is not only the 2.3% processing fee that they are currently charging Sellers for processing through Managed Payments but also the FVF on a tax that they collect and the Seller has no way to recoup except to raise their original prices to try and compensate for it.  This is nothing more than another money grab by Ebay to try and show some kind of growth as Managed Payments is not yet generating the revenues they had projected it would and is taking a lot longer to roll out than they had originally told Wall Street.  So until such time as those numbers are generated look for Ebay to continue to make increased revenues from Managed Payments any way possible.

Message 18 of 51
latest reply

@twnpopcards wrote:

@hpenryessentials 

@hpenryessentials wrote:

PayPal has always used the entire transaction for their metrics and that includes sales tax, so when you were using PayPal, you were paying essentially the same amount. It will take some time for you to see the actual differences in your selling costs but they're there. 

You are correct in that Paypal did charge their processing fees on the Sales Tax all along and that is also how it is done for Brick and Mortar stores.  But there is a huge difference between paying 2.96% on the Sales Tax which is the normal processing fee. However, Ebays Managed Payments charges 12.3% on the Sales Tax which is not only the 2.3% processing fee that they are currently charging Sellers for processing through Managed Payments but also the FVF on a tax that they collect and the Seller has no way to recoup except to raise their original prices to try and compensate for it.  This is nothing more than another money grab by Ebay to try and show some kind of growth as Managed Payments is not yet generating the revenues they had projected it would and is taking a lot longer to roll out than they had originally told Wall Street.  So until such time as those numbers are generated look for Ebay to continue to make increased revenues from Managed Payments any way possible.

Paying FVF on sales tax is not a huge difference when the processing fee drops from 2.9% to 2.35%. In fact, for sales tax less than 5.9%, the total fees are lower.

Message 19 of 51
latest reply

Is collecting fees on sales tax legal? I don't see Amazon, my local supermarkets and mom-and-pop stores collecting any fees on sales tax.

Also, eBay fees appeared in a lump-sum item in "View payment details" and "Transaction details." Is there a page showing the fees break-downs for a sale transaction? 

Message 20 of 51
latest reply

@chenxinghao wrote:

Is collecting fees on sales tax legal? I don't see Amazon, my local supermarkets and mom-and-pop stores collecting any fees on sales tax.

How is that relevant? You're the buyer in those relationships; eBay doesn't charge any fees to buyers either. 

Message 21 of 51
latest reply

@chenxinghao wrote:

Also, eBay fees appeared in a lump-sum item in "View payment details" and "Transaction details." Is there a page showing the fees break-downs for a sale transaction? 

Unfortunately eBay does not breakdown the final value fees of each line item that the final value fee was applied to.

i.e. item price, shipping cost charged to the buyer, sales tax collected from the buyer by eBay, etc.

Message 22 of 51
latest reply

You nailed the side-bar. It is true that I don't get to see an Amazon bill to a seller on its portal, as I have no "seller" activity there.

However, the (target) question is relevant and legit. I recall that I would get an eBay "statement" on a sale transaction stating an item named "final value fee on shipping." This literally itemized the total of final value fees (on each sale transaction). The fact that now I am getting a eBay bill that only shows a lump-sum fees does provide room for one to "speculate" (as inputs in on this thread show) whether or not amount of is included in eBay's calculation of fees. 

My (limited) understanding with Laws governing commerce is that only government entity can collect tax. If and when business were collecting a (percentage-based) fee on tax, government entity would literally become an agent for the business - that is not a public impression that eBay would want to leave with sellers on its platform (though I cannot speak for eBay). 

For all fairness, eBay can come out clean by itemizing its fees on each sale transaction. EBay does this (similarly) in an "Order details" page to buyers that lists "subtotal," "shipping," "tax" and then "Total." 

Message 23 of 51
latest reply

Even when you consider selling to a buyer with the highest sales tax in the nation, it only amounts to about 60 cents more for a $100 sale. If a seller can't afford to absorb that from time to time, they should probably find something else to do.

Message 24 of 51
latest reply

@releasethekraken_1 wrote:

@twnpopcards wrote:

@hpenryessentials 

@hpenryessentials wrote:

Paying FVF on sales tax is not a huge difference when the processing fee drops from 2.9% to 2.35%. In fact, for sales tax less than 5.9%, the total fees are lower.

The problem with just throwing out the fact that "In fact, for sales tax less than 5.9%, the total fees are lower." is that by itself it paints a skewed and a OVERLY OPTIMISTIC picture that is extremely flawed.

And this is why.........

Currently there are 12 states that either have a) a sales tax rate of less than 5.9%, b) have no sales tax at all, or c) have state sales tax but do not currently have a Marketplace Facilitator Law on the books.

But here's the rub. Those 12 states collectively only represent approximately less than 15% of the US population.

The total population of the 9 states with a sales tax rate of 5.9% or less, or no sales tax at all, is 17,620,323 which equates to only 5.3% of the total US population

1 - Alaska (possible 1.76% Average Sales Tax) - Population 735,720
2 - Delaware (0% Sales Tax) - Population 975,033
3 - Hawaii (4.44% Average Sales Tax) - Population 1,406,430
4 - Montana (0% Sales Tax) - Population 1,074,532
5 - Maine (5.50% Average Sales Tax) - Population 1,342,097
6 - New Hampshire (0% Sales Tax) - Population 1,372,200
7 - Oregon (0% Sales Tax) - Population 4,289, 440
8 - Wisconsin (5.43% Average Sales Tax) - Population 5,852,490
9 - Wyoming (5.33% Average Sales Tax) - Population 572,381

Then there are 3 states that do have sales tax but do not currently have MFLs or Marketplace Facilitator Laws on the books. Therefore at this time no sales tax is assessed on purchases made from buyers located within 1 of these 3 states.

1 - Florida (7.08% Average Sales Tax) - Population 21,944,600
2 - Kansas (8.69% Average Sales Tax) - Population 6,169,040
3 - Missouri (8.25% Average Sales Tax) - Population 2,910,220

The total population of these 3 states currently without Marketplace Facilitator Laws, is 31,023,860 which equates to approximately 9.4% of the total US population.

So as it stands right now, based on population which is closely representative of eBay buyers, and the overall online buying population, sellers will more than likely have an 85% chance of having buyers from a state whose sales tax rate is higher that 5.9%, 85% of the time. Therefore on average, 85% of the time, seller's fees will be higher under Managed Payments.

But that percentage is going to change drastically by the end of the year because of the states of Florida, Kansas, and Missouri.

There are currently 3 states (Florida, Kansas, & Missouri) that do not have MFLs or Marketplace Facilitator Laws on the books. Therefore, eBay is not currently required to collect sales tax from buyers located within these states, and due to that fact sellers are not assessed a FVF on sales tax on purchases that are being shipped to 1 of these 3 states

All 3 of these states currently have bills within their state legislation right now which propose Marketplace Facilitator Laws be enacted.

In the case of Florida (the big one), if passed (and it will) the law would go into effect on July 1, 2021

In the case of Kansas, if passed (and it will), has yet to determine when exactly the law would go into effect.

In the case of Missouri, if passed (and it will), the law would go into effect on January 1, 2022.

After all 3 of these state's MFLs go into effect, then almost 95% of the time eBay's Managed Payments will more than likely cost sellers more due to the fact that at that point in time there will only be the 9 states left with a sales tax rate of 5.9% or less or where the state has no sales tax at all.

Unfortunately for eBay sellers those 9 states only account for about 5.3% of the total US population.

California has an average sales tax rate of 8.66% and it can get well over 10% in some jurisdictions. And California alone has a population of 39,747,267 which is 2.25 times larger than the collective population of all 9 of those states (with a sales tax rate of 5.9% or less or states where no sales tax is collected at all). And that is just 1 state!

When sellers are talking about and assessing the FVFs that are being applied to sales tax under the new Managed Payments structure, they need to take into consideration the population of each state where sales tax and therefore FVFs are being applied.

No offense to the buyers from the state of Wyoming (population 572,381) but their 5.33% sales tax rate is not going to save me that much money under eBay's new Managed Payments fee structure. Because frankly there is just not enough of them to make any sort of meaningful impact with regards to FVF savings that their state presents under eBay's new Managed Payments fee structure.

Message 25 of 51
latest reply

Right but this isn't new news with MPs and we know eBay is always going to gouge sellers to make more money. I agree with you and other members who are frustrated with MPs and the effect that it has on net profit especially with the hugely increased shipping costs that are now factored into the equation and the less control we have as sellers to run our businesses. 

Message 26 of 51
latest reply

"especially with the hugely increased shipping costs that are now factored into the equation"

eBay has been charging a final value fee on shipping payments since 2011.

Message 27 of 51
latest reply

@hpenryessentials wrote:

I agree with you and other members who are frustrated with MPs and the effect that it has on net profit especially with the hugely increased shipping costs that are now factored into the equation

"Now", as in "since 2011". How do some sellers have no idea what their expenses are? How do you run a business that way?

Message 28 of 51
latest reply

Yes I'm aware. I've been here a very long time. The increased shipping cost AND the higher percentage OF the FVFs put on shipping and tax first and THEN the item you're selling is eating into profits for sellers that sell $12-$30 items and charge free shipping. If I sell something for $12.00, it costs me at least $3.00 to ship it. Subtract the FVF based on the whole transaction +.30 and you can see how the $12.00 gets eaten away fairly quickly. Shipping costs have increased. Nothing else has changed. 

Message 29 of 51
latest reply

@chenxinghao wrote:

You obviously have never operated a business that accepts payments by credit card! Payment processors (ALL of them) have always charged fees on the total amount of the transaction including Sales tax.

For a breakdown of the fees by type......

Payments Tab -> All Transactions-> click the Transaction Details box

You will see the variable fee on the item/shipping/tax, the fixed transaction fee and the International surcharge if relevant.

Message 30 of 51
latest reply