cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling Fine Art on Ebay

Does anyone have experience selling fine art on Ebay? I have tried to sell some paintings and pictures here and I have not had much luck. A friend of a family member has been an artist for many years and is wanting to sell off some pieces. I am sure there are other platforms for selling art, but she was asking about Ebay since she knows I am familiar with it. Just wanted to see what others experience has been. I know almost nothing about art. Thanks

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Selling Fine Art on Ebay

You may have more luck asking on this board:

Collectibles & Art: Category-Specific Boards: eBay Discussion Boards

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Collectibles-Art/bd-p/29

Thanks,

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Selling Fine Art on Ebay

If it is worth any real amount of money at all....well ....you better take a hard look at all of the posts in this forum by sellers that have been scammed on ebay and through paypal by dishonest buyers

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Selling Fine Art on Ebay

I've sold a couple bits. There are piece being sold, just look at the sold listings in the category. I've not had a ton of luck, but I am not set up to take great pictures of large items like that and I've gotten to the point that I am not really interested in shipping the bits.
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Selling Fine Art on Ebay

Personally, I don't think Ebay is the best venue for selling fine art.  Of course the concept of what constitutes fine art is highly subjective.  The other issue is packaging and shipping art, a specialzed and pricey niche in the shipping world.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Selling Fine Art on Ebay

We have sold fine art on ebay.  Its no easy task unless your willing to give it away.  If you do start low dont try to make a hole lot of profit.  Get some art lovers to follow your store and sales will pick up but it will take time to get your stuff out there.  Patience is key to selling art here.  Best regards

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Selling Fine Art on Ebay

In addition to the excellent advice you've been given here, wanted to add a caution.

If what you are considering is selling for this person, it would be better to help them open their own account on eBay and show them how to list/sell on their own ID.  Selling for friends can ruin a friendship.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Selling Fine Art on Ebay

Years ago I dealt in quite a bit of art on eBay quite successfully. Today, I would not even list anything that is worth over $100 or anything that is very large. 

Art can be difficult to package, don't try to package anything very large on you own, & keep in mind it will cost a lot if done professionally. 

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Selling Fine Art on Ebay

I think most people - who are willing to spend MONEY - are going to consider 'Fine Art' as something by a listed artist, who has a successful auction/selling history, a utube documentary or two, etc., and will look for it at Christie's or Sotheby's to see if something is available. 

If the person isn't, at least, listed in 'AskArt' or some such, or if it isn't something that is from a major auction house, I think many people will figure, if it is on ebay, it is from one of the knockoff factories making 'affordable art' and selling from their location(s) in Southeast Asia, or some other 'off-shore location'.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Selling Fine Art on Ebay

The artist may want to check out some art dealers / consignement places in a larger city. There are ( mostly ) no fees until the item is sold, there are no packing, insurance , paypal fees and no return charges, only a sales commission, anywhere from 20% to 40%  of sales price. All sales are final, sold where is, as is, no returns accepted. 

I have tried several years ago to sell collections and art pieces on ebay and had very little luck. Most of the sold items were going to dealers who tried to buy things for 30% on the Dollar.

Today I only sell things on ebay I can afford to loose. For everything else I use better venues.

Good luck , 

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Selling Fine Art on Ebay

Thank you all for the replies. Lots of good advice and some of it seconded my concerns. I am trying to sell less on Ebay and just get rid of what I have already. I have found most people don't want to pay much for shipping and shipping art sounds expensive and would require extra care. I thought a gallery or some local venue sounded better, but I know nothing about the art world.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply