cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers, please do not raise the price of watched items and then offer a discount that isn't real.

When I am mulling a purchase, comparing items, and planning to buy items, sometimes I put them in my watch list. Lately, it's become a weird trend that an item I'm watching has its price raised and then an offer given to me to pretend the listed price is a deal. If I'm watching an item, I'm considering buying that item at that price. But when a seller raises the price just so they can pretend to give me a discount, I no longer want to deal with the seller, and suddenly find myself wishing for a BLOCK SELLER option. When I'm watching an item, I'm not begging for the item to be discounted, but I'm also not expecting the seller an hour later to raise the price of the item so they can send me a special offer at sometimes more than I was watching the item originally. For example, I was watching an item listed at thirty bucks because I thought it might be nice at that price. The seller, no more than a half hour later and before I finished shopping today (it was in my cart) raised the price to $34 so they could send me a special offer to discount it back down to $30. As a buyer, I either figure the seller thinks I'm an idiot, or they're mad at me for only watching their item. Sometimes, the seller messes up their math and will raise the price too high, and the new discount is more than the original price only hours before. I don't know what to really say about the feature, but it's very frustrating. Maybe I'm just overly sensitive, but it feels like the seller is pushing or playing, and neither one makes me feel like spending any money with that seller anymore, even if it's just thirty bucks. Raising the price just makes me stop watching it, jot the seller name down, and no longer want to do any business with them.

Message 1 of 70
latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

Sellers, please do not raise the price of watched items and then offer a discount that isn't real.

gjs_16
Guide

Lets not forget eaby's encouragements in the matter...

"Omg look dude you have BUYERS in your STORE!!! OMG OMG!!!"

(translation: one or more buyers has added an item to their watch list, but they don't say it that way).

Message 61 of 70
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

One of my many philosophies as a Top Rated seller is "Watchin' Ain't Buyin'".

Watchers aren't doing anything for me, including putting money in my pocket.

You have a problem with me changing my prices because you MIGHT buy something ?

Get over yourself !

Message 62 of 70
latest reply

ARGH. Zombie thread. Apologies.
Message 63 of 70
latest reply

Sellers can raise or lower the price of items whenever they want.

What buyers should know is that sending offers is a bulk action. eBay gives us the option to send offers to all buyers who are watching our items or putting them in carts. We send out dozens at a time with a few button pushes. We rarely bother looking at which items.

Message 64 of 70
latest reply

@willsgarden62 

>an item I'm watching has its price raised and then an offer given to me to pretend the listed price is a deal. 

Happens all the time. It's known as "marketing".

Message 65 of 70
latest reply

I do this. If my item has watchers and I decide to raise the price (as I sometimes do) , I always offer the watchers the opportunity to buy it at the lower price they were watching it at. I always thought it was generous, to offer the lower price, but now I see I am just making people angry so I will just raise my price and be done with it. 

Message 66 of 70
latest reply

Is it possible the item was “on sale” at the time you put the item on your watch list?

We frequently run 24 hour sales on a specific collection. Have had messages from potential buyers asking why we raised the price after a couple of days. 

We do honor the sale price after it has ended.  But, we do not simply raise the price on an item simply because there is someone watching it. 

Message 67 of 70
latest reply

Actually that's not accurate.  A seller can change the price of their items up or down whenever they want.  That includes shipping charges as well. Even if it's in the buyer's cart.  For example, come October 3, 2021 USPS shipping rates will go up. 

OP has a point though that if you find an item and put it on your watch list only to receive a special offer shortly thereafter with an inflated price and discount that reflects the original price is enough for me to remove it from my watch list.

Message 68 of 70
latest reply

I Totally Agree with your part about having a very fair price & people wanting it cheaper, It gets on your nerves, but ebay buyers are programmed that way, because ebay constantly wants us to lower prices & make offers so things sell quicker, & buyers know that!, It Is Frustrating & Aggravating!

Message 69 of 70
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 70 of 70
latest reply