cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers, how would you pack

a violin ?

I've sold my full size violin, it has a case, but it's a soft case.

I'm not sure how to pack it so it reaches my buyer intact.

Thanks in advance for any packing advice and tips.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Sellers, how would you pack

The OP lives in the UK -- Scotland is a fairly easy drive if he chooses to take a road trip.

However, has everyone forgotten that the violin's soft case provides a lot of basic protection?  Additional stuffing inside the soft case is a good idea, whether it is crumpled tissue paper or bubble wrap.  Keep the bubble wrap away from the violin's wood surface and delicate parts!

A corrugated box large enough to allow 3 to 4 inches of firm buffering around the soft case should be fine.

~~C~~

My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 16 of 22
latest reply

1) Box large enough to hold the violin and case with room to spare.

Pack bubble wrap or foam peanuts fully but not tightly around filling the gap between the soft case and the box.

2) A strong tough outer box around the first with room to spare all the way around.

Fill the gap with foam peanuts or bubble wrap or styro board.

Alternately, if you can find a cheap plastic hard case large enough to fit the soft case into, then pack that into the larger box with the stuffing surrounding it. 

Ideally a kick from the outside should not telegraph through to the violin on the inside. 

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

If you ship USPS for an extra 10.60 you can get special handling. The pkg. Is then handed off from person to person at different facilities. No worry about being dropped or thrown.

Used it just last week and very pleased with this service.

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

Sorry just read it was going to Scotland. Don't know how special handling works once it leave the US.
Message 19 of 22
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

Of course, wrap the violin in soft cloth or tissue paper first - obviously.

YES!  When I read another suggestion about wrapping it in cling film, I cringed.  The wooden surface needs to be protected.  If there's any sweating from humidity or whatever, that cling film could make a complete mess of the finish on the wood.

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

@jackofalltrades-1 wrote:
Sorry just read it was going to Scotland. Don't know how special handling works once it leave the US.

The OP is in the UK.

@*madison - got any music stores near you to find a box and ask about packing?

@zzydny

@zzydny wrote:

@gracieallen01 wrote:

Of course, wrap the violin in soft cloth or tissue paper first - obviously.

YES!  When I read another suggestion about wrapping it in cling film, I cringed.  The wooden surface needs to be protected.  If there's any sweating from humidity or whatever, that cling film could make a complete mess of the finish on the wood.

No issues that deep in the package.  My suggestion was stretch film the violin, then wrap in bubble, then in the case, then wrap the case in stretch film and then in bubble and then in a box.  Next add an outer box with styrofoam spacers to create an air gap.  The violin will be flown over and temps at altitude on planes crossing the atlantic in the cargo hold of jet operating between 35,000 & 40,000 feet would get cold not hot.  I imagine they pressurize the cargo bays but probably don't heat them (if they do it most likely is not a lot) so there would be no egress of moisture in that high altitude environment ... The multiple layers of stretch and corrugated will also insulate the violin ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 22 of 22
latest reply