cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers beware when purchasing g shipping labels through eBay. I’m done with horrible treatment

I’ll start by saying I’ve been selling on here for over 24 years!!! Yes, about as long as eBay has been around and I’ve never been so disappointed/frustrated/angry than I have now. 
      To try and make the short here is what has happened. I sold a fragile item to someone and knowing that it was fragile, I paid full insurance with FedEx through the eBay shipping label. This was approximately $89 and some change that it cost me. The buyer said the item was broken when they received it after we packaged it extremely well and took pictures before sending. Buyer sent pictures of where the box was crushed on one end which would explain why one part was broken during the shipment. We did what was right and fully refunded to the buyer. Now I am out not only the price of the item but also the money we paid for insurance because eBay and FedEx refused to acknowledge our claim. Each says the other is responsible. Meanwhile I’ve  been  here for 24 years and I’m  the one left with nothing.

i’ve been on loyal seller  and have never had the treatment like I’ve had over this issue. So I am moving on to look into other ways to sell. Just want to give a warning to other sellers you may want to not use eBay for your shipping labels especially if it’s a higher priced item.

****fedex says they only bill eBay and I need to get eBay to file the claim….. of which I have tried over and over and over……. And have only gotten the run around 

oh and also to add to it I was told I was protected through seller protection but after months of checking on this eBay decided not to  honor that as well 

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: Sellers beware when purchasing g shipping labels through eBay. I’m done with horrible treatment

@rovemele-zmdmfp wrote:

sorry but i always buy shipping labels from ebay and yes i send many heavy and big item also insured for yrs i really don't like fed-x but have use it so many yrs and not knowing how to file a claim ( mean u must brush up on that ) where ever you buy the label you need to go straight to the source u.p.s , usps or fed-x ebay only sell you the label they cant do anything about any claim.

I can't speak about UPS because I don't use them for shipping, but if I remember right about the other two carriers, one additional complication with FedEx (but not USPS) is that for FedEx shipments, eBay is the shipper of record. For USPS shipments, you the seller are the shipper of record; eBay just gives you a convenient payment conduit, but otherwise pretty much stays out of it.

Thus you can get a lot of fingerpointing when filing a FedEx claim, because eBay is the (nominal) shipper, not you, and apparently (according to the OP), FedEx doesn't really regard you as their customer.

In 20 years of shipping via USPS, I have had to file occasional claims for this or that, but it was always just me communicating directly with USPS; eBay had nothing to do with the claim process. In the case of FedEx, though, that seems to be more complicated by eBay's involvement as the account-holder.

Message 31 of 40
latest reply

Re: Sellers beware when purchasing g shipping labels through eBay. I’m done with horrible treatment

Yes so here’s the thing. Over the past 24 years as a seller I have witnessed and been a part of many false claims with no protection to the seller / myself. I let them slide. This time I had had enough. Enough if buyers claiming false info and me giving a refund just because “it’s goi g to happen so just realize it’s part of selling h”. I’m a small seller. I stated selli g my children’s clothing g. I am now a grandmother and that 1450 may nit be much to some but it is many trips paid to visit my grandchild. So there’s that 

Message 32 of 40
latest reply

not sure why you are pulling a section of my statement out of context. Doing that makes me look like an uninformed idiot if someone reading does not look at the entire post , and the post that I "responded to".  

My statement was   .....     if a box is crushed....................  how is the (EDIT HERE) (I MEANT SELLER, NOT BUYER)  buyer seller at fault for the packaging? Must everything be shipped in a reinforced steel container?

I understand the seller is "ultimately responsible", but it is not the seller's "fault" that the item was damaged😁  Responsibility, and fault...............  in this instance ...............  is not synonymous. It was FedEx's fault, and FedEx should take responsibility, but it is not the seller's fault.

And yes, not part of the problem here, and I was not responding to the OP😁

-----------------------------------------------------

Also, as I was not responding to the OP ............... my failed transactions in the past 23 years are nonapplicable. Not part of the problem/post😁 I have always taken responsibility for my "failed transactions"😊

Message 33 of 40
latest reply

eBay is the shipper of record... Not us sellers. That is the problem. This was cooked up by the shoppers and eBay to add a buffer of deniability between all parties but when you use UPS or fedex- eBay is purchasing that label on their negotiated accounts and technically reselling the label to us when we buy it on eBay. That is why UPS and FedEx will not even talk to you if you call them- they say eBay bought the label and they can't legally even talk to you. eBay just looks the other way. A rock and a hard place. 

eBay labels are no cheaper than pirateship and pirateship imports all your eBay sales and updated the tracking back to eBay... Simple and effective and I have never had an issue or backcharges unlike eBay labels.  I still use eBay labels for USPS because that is a true purchase -it just links through in the background to USPS and you are the buyer of the label- that's why it was always paid upfront. 

Message 34 of 40
latest reply

not sure about fed-x cause never had a damage and i hardly use them cause they always run late for me  at least same plp  said about ups you need ebays  accont   number but its  like i sated  6 numbers after the iz on  your tracking  number not sure if  fed-x work  the  same i will look into it cause it can be  useful  one day thanks  for your info  

Message 35 of 40
latest reply

sorry but i know  for sure on ups you file your self as a thirdparty with the accnt number i said on my 1st post    

Message 36 of 40
latest reply

No it was not. It was much more expensive piece. That one was delivered without any issues. 

Message 37 of 40
latest reply

This is exactly what I keep getting g told with FedEx and this it’s why I’m pretty more upset at eBay than fedex but certainly not happy with either. Thanks for posting that! I wish I had known this information prior to shipping gvthis item and that’s why I wanted to post here. Hopefully it will help someone ! 

Message 38 of 40
latest reply

What was the item you sold and what does the buyer profile / feedback look like? I ask because I only see a couple fragile items that you have sold, and the shipping cost would be double the actual cost of item. 

There are buyers who will claim damage to replace an item that they actually broke themselves and so on. They could have easily stomped on the box after opening and removing the item. Did the box still look sealed, or did they just crop the photo to block out everything else like the label? I guess the bigger question is why FedEx would even deliver a damaged box?

FedEx is probably the worst selection for shipment. You should have gone with USPS and maybe signature required. 

Did you use any type of fragile labels / markings on the box? 

Message 39 of 40
latest reply

Hmmmm. I have to repeat what I have said here again and again; UPS and FedEx rarely pay out insurance. Your best bet is the USPS. Not that they are any better, but your chances are far better with the USPS. Also, when shipping by either FedEx or UPS, it is always best to ship from your FedEx and UPS account. Not through eBay.  I generally prefer UPS when I am shipping fragile and very expensive items. 

Message 40 of 40
latest reply