cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sellers Beware of New "Handy Assembly Charge" Feature Ebay Has Added To All Furniture Listings

Ebay has added a new option on all used furniture listings which has done nothing but confuse and turn off my potential buyers. They added this box just below the Make An Offer button: Chair assembly from Handy - $72.00Handy will email you to schedule service. Handy Terms & Privacy Policy apply  We only sell used furniture and none of it needs assembly and I've already had several potential buyers ask why they have to pay for assembly (and these are only the ones who asked for an explanation and not the ones who just moved on to another seller's listing). This feature should be an option for a seller to add to their listing. Ebay has said this feature is here to stay even on my items that don't need assembly. Charish here we come. 

Message 1 of 79
latest reply
78 REPLIES 78

Sellers Beware of New "Handy Assembly Charge" Feature Ebay Has Added To All Furniture Listings

This is similar to add-ons shown in other categories, like warranties on electronics. It's another way for eBay to earn a commission from third party companies.

It is a nuisance on your listing where assembly isn't required and confusing to some buyers. Add a note to the condition field before "local delivery..." and state No Assembly Required. That could eliminate some confusion. You shouldn't have to do it, but since the Handy services aren't going away it might be the easiest way to deal with it.

Message 2 of 79
latest reply

Thanks. It is not similar to a warranty offer because buyers understand warranty offers and understand they don't need one. This "Handy" offer implies it needs assembly when it doesn't. I already began putting that warning in condition field on my new listings as soon as I saw what was happening. But we have 2000 listings so the easiest way would be for ebay to ad a qualification line saying that "this item may not need assembly. Please contact seller for details".

Message 3 of 79
latest reply

@mostexcellentdesigns wrote:

Ebay has added a new option on all used furniture listings which has done nothing but confuse and turn off my potential buyers. They added this box just below the Make An Offer button: Chair assembly from Handy - $72.00Handy will email you to schedule service. Handy Terms & Privacy Policy apply  We only sell used furniture and none of it needs assembly and I've already had several potential buyers ask why they have to pay for assembly (and these are only the ones who asked for an explanation and not the ones who just moved on to another seller's listing). This feature should be an option for a seller to add to their listing. Ebay has said this feature is here to stay even on my items that don't need assembly. Charish here we come. 

I just looked at this listing of yours (Set of 4 Louis XV Country French Provincial Carved Upholstered Dining Chairs) with Best Offer and did not see anything that mentioned Chair Assembly from Handy.  Is it on just some chair listings with best offer?   

Message 4 of 79
latest reply

I checked on both PC & iphone & don't see it on your listings
I pulled up a bunch of your chairs not just 1 listing

Message 5 of 79
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

brian@ebay, the OP makes a great point. This Handy assembly service should include a note that says item may not need assembly, contact seller for details.

handy.jpg

Message 6 of 79
latest reply

And wouldn't you know I looked at all the chairs that didn't fall in the Home & Garden category.
It doesn't show under the other categories, I Swear !!!
this one has both categories but since Antiques is first it doesn't show

I looked up all his/her antique ones , Well because I'm old & prefer the Anitques & primitive, farm  style Smiley Happy

chairs.JPG

Message 7 of 79
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@labs118 wrote:

I checked on both PC & iphone & don't see it on your listings
I pulled up a bunch of your chairs not just 1 listing

I saw it on a chair the OP had listed that was a used chair.

I saw it the other day when I was looking at some mailboxes on posts. The last hurricane took out my mailbox and I haven't been able to get anyone to replace it for me with a new one. The cost was $54.00 to install the mailbox and at this point I'd gladly pay that to get a mailbox back up.

Isn't this the service that Wayfair uses and also I think this Handy company cut a deal with Walmart.

It would be good to know exactly how it is decided which listings get it and which do not.

Message 9 of 79
latest reply

Yes. Wayfair and Walmart use it but they don't sell used furniture which already comes assembled like we do.

Message 10 of 79
latest reply

Please check all 2000 of our USED items listings and let us know how many has Handy option on them. If it's on 1 of them, it's too many.

Message 11 of 79
latest reply

Have you sold a piece of furniture yet where the buyer selected the Handy option?

Message 12 of 79
latest reply

@mostexcellentdesigns wrote:

Please check all 2000 of our USED items listings and let us know how many has Handy option on them. If it's on 1 of them, it's too many.

I also see one called Porch on some of your outdoor furniture and there is one on some of your lighting listings.

Message 13 of 79
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

brian@ebay, the OP makes a great point. This Handy assembly service should include a note that says item may not need assembly, contact seller for details.

handy.jpg

Hi @Anonymous! I've passed the feedback from this thread along. Thank you for tagging me!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 14 of 79
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

handy.jpg

This must be changed, or at the least some wording should be added that Handy is optional and the item may not need assembly.

Putting a little box that can be checked or left blank is not enough.

Seriously, this is a pretty darn low trick.   I don't even have a dog in this hunt and I'm upset.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 15 of 79
latest reply