cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller on eBay Over 20 Years and WHY I HATE eBay

So many reasons I hate eBay and why it has become a hell on earth for anyone selling. First, some things have always been bad. It's always been a crapshoot as to whether you'll get a deadbeat bidder and have to relist. It's always been difficult to get through to customer service. HOWEVER, tonight is the first time I've ever been unable to reach anyone at all because eBay has no one answering their phone. I mean give me a break, eBay probably made a billion dollars in the time it took me to write this and yet they refuse to support their customers??? I guess the main reason I hate ebay is because of how they treat sellers. Fees have gone up exponentially but I keep coming back like a bad relationship. But this is the last time. Some deadbeat won my auction tonight, sent payment, which I initiated as a transfer to my bank account. Then like 20 minutes later the bidder said they don't want the item and want a refund. Paypal won't let me send a refund because the transfer already initiated. Ebay has no associates on their customer service line. Ebay wouldn't even let me do a refund without relisting the item even though I'm DONE WITH EBAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Seller on eBay Over 20 Years and WHY I HATE eBay

eBay has a standard for its sellers - even if you do not consider yourself a "business", eBay still expects you to behave like one. 

It's always been a crapshoot as to whether you'll get a deadbeat bidder and have to relist.

eBay gives a seller listing options that will require immediate payment. But if you choose not to take advantage of those options, non-payment is definitely possible. 

It's always been difficult to get through to customer service

Correct. But thankfully, I have not had to call eBay in at least 5 years. 

Fees have gone up exponentially

No they haven't. 

Some deadbeat won my auction tonight, sent payment, which I initiated as a transfer to my bank account

Experienced sellers know that refunds are always possible, and keep a float in their PayPal account for just that sort of contigency. If a seller expects same-day access to his funds without the possibility of a refund, then eBay is probably not a good fit. 

Paypal won't let me send a refund because the transfer already initiated

Correct. PayPal will not let you transfer the money to your bank account AND also give it back to the buyer. Once you start a transfer in PayPal, you must wait for it to complete. 

Ebay wouldn't even let me do a refund without relisting the item

You can't uncheck the Relist Item box? 

"When you refund a buyer after accepting their request to cancel a transaction, or return an item because they changed their mind, we'll automatically relist your item for you. If you don't want your item to be relisted, simply uncheck the Relist item or Relist item after cancellation box when issuing the refund."

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/cancel-transaction?id=4136

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

Well I guess ebay isn't a good fit for me anymore. Sorry I just am too old to tick the boxes on and off every time some corporate cog decides to change the rules. I've never seen an instant payment button and couldn't figure out a way to uncheck auto relist. I'm sure it's just my age and stupidity. And don't want to keep $7,000 as a float in my paypal account for when someone changes their mind when I sell an expensive watch once a year. 

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

@woody10187 

We all feel your frustration! You have to take a deep breath, take a momment to reflect, life is to short to get worked up over eBay. 

We all have our stories both good and bad. I always try to look at the positive side of things. eBay over the years has been great for me as an additional income, I have meet some great repeat buyers, even met some in person when traveling and now have long time friendships, eBay CS has always taken care of my issues to my satisfaction and all their changes rather I feel they are good or bad, I chalk it up to it is part of doing business on someone elses platform and I just adapt/re-group and press on. 

So all you really have to do is adapt and overcome! 

With teh virus crisis we just have to e patient with eBay.

I know you have it in you! 

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

Thank you sir for the encouragement, it's been a long month.

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

More than 1 year ago, I had a buyer Buyitnow an all diamond platinum emerald cut wedding band eternity ring for more than $1400., a very low price for it.

When I looked him up after this sale, he left for sellers a total of 27 nasty mean negatives out of less than 50 feedback left.

I breathed a sign of relief when I heard nothing from him for more than 2 weeks.

At some time I transferred the money to my bank 🏦 account.

At a much later date he filed for a return request saying item not described correctly.

Paypal had to issue him a check because I didn’t have the complete money in my Account.

He became deranged because it does take approximately 7-8 days for the refund to go through after I got my ring back.

I got violent hate belligerent all caps email from him compounded by the fact HE had changed his email address which added more days for this refund to post to him!

I have followed what this deranged individual does for some time now & he continues to be dissatisfied with purchases & leave bad feedback.

Don’t beat yourself up for transferring the money too soon!

Message 20 of 24
latest reply

Why would you transfer the funds from the sale to your checking account so rapidly? Don't you leave some amount of money in the account just in case you need to issue a refund, for that item or any other?

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

Well I guess ebay isn't a good fit for me anymore.

Only you can make that decision. 

Sorry I just am too old to tick the boxes on and off  every time some corporate cog decides to change the rules.

Websites evolve, and that is not limited to eBay. 

And don't want to keep $7,000 as a float in my paypal account for when someone changes their mind when I sell an expensive watch once a year.

Your issue with the pending transfer was not an issue with eBay, and was not an isasue with PayPal. It was an issue with your cash flow management.

If I were selling a $7K watch I probably would not leave $7K in my PayPal account as a long-term float either. But I certainly would leave it there for a day or two at least. 

I've never seen an instant payment button and couldn't figure out a way to uncheck auto relist.

If you could not figure  out a way to uncheck it, the realistic worst-case scenario would be that you end up relisting for a few seconds until you can remove it immediately afterward.

Ideal? no. A pain? Sure.

But even if this happened every single time you wanted to cancel, how often is that? How many cancellations do you get in a day? A month? A year? 

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

Your post was 100% accurate. RIDICULOUS that we cannot talk to a live person. 

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

@cutejeans4less wrote:

Your post was 100% accurate. RIDICULOUS that we cannot talk to a live person. 

I know but even when you do they often are as well trained as one might hope!!

I agree we need some serious improvements on Customer Service here, but I've got to tell you it is enormously WORSE on Amazon.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 24 of 24
latest reply