cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller offered me a deal

Hi, can someone explaine please how a seller offered me a deal on an item I only viewed? I thought sellers couldn't see who viewed, or who is watching an item? I only viewed it.

I nearly pressed accept because I'm selling a similar item and thought a buyer sent me an offer 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Seller offered me a deal

Sellers get a notification that their item is eligible to send offer.

It's completely blind.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Seller offered me a deal

Hi @earthbeing00 

Sellers CANNOT see who is viewing or watching their items … yet can still have offers sent.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Seller offered me a deal

The seller can't determine the identity of viewers or watchers. The seller can only push a button to send offers to users who eBay determines are "eligible" to receive them.

No idea what the actual criteria are, but I've received offers on items I viewed only once and did not add to a watchlist. I viewed one of my own items while I was signed out -- and eBay sent me an e-mail encouraging me to "make it yours."

To be clear, the eBay e-mails are a separate marketing effort from seller-initiated offers. eBay seems to be getting more aggressive about it lately. I realize I can turn off the messages, but I like to know how it feels from the buyer's perspective. To my mind, it's too much and seems pushy, if not a little desperate.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Seller offered me a deal

Same thing has happened to me and I almost accepted.  I've learned to be careful when there are offers coming in.  I don't mind getting offers on something I'm watching but I hate getting them when I'm just looking.  If I'm that interested in buying it I will either buy it then or watch it. 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Seller offered me a deal

@earthbeing00 

The same thing happened to me the other day.  What I thought was funny was it was an item that I reported because it was "illegal."  True story.  By the way, the item still is still available.  Big surprise huh? I also noticed I'm getting more" send offers" to customers that are obviously not watching my items, as I have no watchers on several of them.  I am not liking this feature at all. 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Seller offered me a deal

Since Watchers are permanent, any given Watcher may have put your item on their Watch List months ago.

But Views are within the past 30 days.

So I think that Offers go to Viewers, who are actively in the market, rather than Watchers who just don't clean out their Watch List very often.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Seller offered me a deal

EDIT ...SOLVED.

EBAY AUTO SENT ME IT LETTING ME KNOW THE SELLER HAS LOWERED THE BID  I READ THE EMAIL AFTER I NOTICED THE MESSAGE FROM EBAY.

NOT GOOD EBAY. IT LOOKED LIKE THE SELLER SENT IT!

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Seller offered me a deal

@ckimodog 

It is funny when things like that happen.  Definitely not surprised it's still there & will probably stay there!  I hardly watch anything & I get tons of offers daily, just from looking at an item once.  Not liking this feature at all either.     I've tried to opt out several times, but it never takes.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Seller offered me a deal

@ckimodog wrote:

@earthbeing00 

The same thing happened to me the other day.  What I thought was funny was it was an item that I reported because it was "illegal."  True story.  By the way, the item still is still available.  Big surprise huh? I also noticed I'm getting more" send offers" to customers that are obviously not watching my items, as I have no watchers on several of them.  I am not liking this feature at all. 

Just another piece of evidence that one member reporting a listing simply is not enough to get it removed much less looked at.  It takes multiple reports.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 10 of 10
latest reply