cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller backed out of sale, now claiming "Buyer purchased item by mistake or changed mind."

Hi Everyone

I have been on Ebay for 18 years.  Have met a lot of people and have enjoyed it.  I have someone that made an offer on one of my items, I sent them a counter offer of which they accepted.  I sent them an invoice and later that evening they responded with an email stating that there mother has alzheimers and she had made the offer etc.  So they would like me to cancel the order.  Now I am truely sorry that her mom has alzheimers.  Seems to me that I have had this type of response from Ebay buyers before.   The buyer has a really high feedback with no dings in it.  I get the original offer but to come back and except the counter offer seems a little fishy to me.  Has anyone had this experience?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Seller backed out of sale, now claiming "Buyer purchased item by mistake or changed mind."

I've had people change their minds.  I just cancel using the buyer requested reason and relist.  I don't really focus on their reasons or even lack of one.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Stinks, but a worse situation is to ship something to a buyer who has indicated they don't want the item. That never ends well for the seller. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I generally do that but in that myself and will do that with this one but its frustrating when people make an offer and you send a counter and then they accept.  If you changed your mind, no problem but  I would think they would have changed there mind after the first offer.  

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@rjgfinejewelry wrote:

I generally do that but in that myself and will do that with this one but its frustrating when people make an offer and you send a counter and then they accept.  If you changed your mind, no problem but  I would think they would have changed there mind after the first offer. 

I have seen people change their mind in the parking lot.

She obviously regretted that second offer.  Her mom's condition is irrelevant.

They do not want it.  And if you force them to buy it, they will only file SNAD and return it. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I'd also like to add... report the buyer if you feel anything is amiss.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Report - there is nothing to report.  People change their mind all the time.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I agree with you.  Not going to force her to buy it.  Dont want anyone to buy something they dont want or changed there mind on.  We want our customers happy.  

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

No more just cancel and move forward, in this business will not be the first nor the last, greetings.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply