cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay shipping label costs being taken from Paypal balance instead of credit card. How to change?

Something has changed recently when I am paying for Ebay shipping labels.  It used to charge the credit card I have on file but now it is taking it out of my Paypal balance and if no balance in Paypal it is taking it out of the bank account I have on file.  In the recent past it would always ask how I wanted to pay for the label and gave me 3 choices: credit card, Paypal balance, and Bank account (with credit card being my default) and now it doesn't do that anymore (just takes it out of my Paypal balance or bank account).  My credit card is still good since I automatically pay my Ebay balance with the same card.  I want the label cost to be charged to my credit card like it always used to, how do I do this?

Also I've noticed below the Pay button on the label there is now a blurb about how the payment will be taken from my Paypal balance (this wording was never there until about a few days ago).  Also, in the past when I would click the Pay button on the label, it would have me log in to my Paypal account - it doesn't do that anymore.  Now I click Pay on the label screen and it goes right to the print label screen without any log in to Paypal required.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Ebay shipping label costs being taken from Paypal balance instead of credit card. How to change?

They are changing it to prep for the apocalypse that will be managed payments.

Ok a wee bit melodramatic. But seriously, with managed payments paypal will be the only way to pay for labels. Theyve likely moved one more gear into place for most people by swapping label payment for more folks to paypal. You might be able to go into your account on the website and see if there is a way to swap it back. For now.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Here is the wording that now appears under the Purchase Postage button on my shipping labels:

"When you click "Purchase postage", the total label cost will be charged to your PayPal account and you will be able to print your shipping label. You also may incur an additional charge due based on your parcel's size, weight, and service when measured and accepted by the shipping carrier.
Want to update your Shipping Label Payment Method? Click here - To update your Shipping Label Payment Method to get started!"

When I click on the "Click here - to update your Shipping Label Payment Method to get started", it brings me to a page that doesn't show anything about changing the payment method (just how to change some Ebay site preferences but nothing about changing the shipping label payment method).  When I go directly into my Ebay site preferences, I do not see anywhere that I can change the shipping label payment method either.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

ignore me  misread post

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Try (re) setting your default payment source in your PayPal settings - it may have gotten changed somehow.
https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/settings/payments   "Your preferred way to pay" for "Online purchases"

If that doesn't work, or was correctly set, cancel your eBay shipping authorization from PayPal https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/autopay/, and see if that does the trick when it re-establishes on your next label.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@berserkerplanet wrote:

Try (re) setting your default payment source in your PayPal settings - it may have gotten changed somehow.
https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/settings/payments   "Your preferred way to pay" for "Online purchases"

If that doesn't work, or was correctly set, cancel your eBay shipping authorization from PayPal https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/autopay/, and see if that does the trick when it re-establishes on your next label.

Yep you nailed it.  Thank you so much for helping me out!!

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Glad you got it fixed.

Which approach fixed it? Was it the default payment setting?
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Not sure which one of your suggestions this was, but this is how I did it:

In Paypal I went to "My Money" then "Set Automatic Payments" then I inactivated Ebay Inc Shipping.  Somehow this got activated on 11/5/18.

Thanks again as it is greatly appreciated!!

Message 9 of 9
latest reply