cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller asking me to upload photos in return?

I don't believe I am required to leave photos am I?

I received some lights and both had scratches...seller is asking me for pictures or to send a video to his email...

A buyer doesn't HAVE to upload photos do they? Just checking. 

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Seller asking me to upload photos in return?

Upon further thinking....

Please don't be one of THOSE buyers who communicates a problem, but it's like pulling teeth to get them to say what they actually want me to do about their issue. Many times, they are partial refund fishing.

Not saying that's what you are doing at all. Sometimes a partial is completely appropriate for the situation. Seller's call on that one.

What I'm trying to say is just be up front with the seller and simply tell them what would make you happy.

I know I certainly appreciate it when a buyer doesn't waffle about. Much less stress on me as a seller.

Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 16 of 32
latest reply

I find it a little odd that in some of your past posts as a seller you seemed to have a problem with buyers not having to submit photographs as evidence, but as a buyer you want to make sure you aren't required to send any. 

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

I cannot understand any reason for not wanting to submit photos. There is no reason not to, really. You, as a buyer are covered regardless, the seller will have to refund you. By submitting photos it allows the seller to pursue many things:

An insurance claim

Better packaging

Avoid having to ship the damages back

There is no good reason not to cooperate with your seller

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

No, no, that's not it at all -- the OP's ID refers to info on sharpening whalebone.

hone
hōn
verb
sharpen (a blade).
"he was carefully honing the curved blade"

Stäbe, der ~
whalebones, the ~ Noun

noun
the relevant information or the truth

The avatar is just a stock photo that was, um, lying ... around.
Message 19 of 32
latest reply

ALTERNATE ENDING:
The avatar is just a Cassini search result for the word "hone".
Message 20 of 32
latest reply

@honestabe411 wrote:

I don't believe I am required to leave photos am I?

I received some lights and both had scratches...seller is asking me for pictures or to send a video to his email...

A buyer doesn't HAVE to upload photos do they? Just checking. 

No you dont but if you want a refund you will be sending the item back.

Some sellers want a picture of the damage as when they see proof of the damage they go ahead and refund and tell you to toss it in the trash.

If you can, why not do it?

You can open a case in ebay and upload pictures to it. I have done it.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 21 of 32
latest reply

Obviously i understand the request, just seeing if it was mandatory. The scratch on the light I received is very hard to capture in a photo. 

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

I will try it again maybe outside in better light 

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

Play with lighting, shadows and angles.

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

@moo*cow*corner wrote:

Please don't be one of THOSE buyers who communicates a problem, but it's like pulling teeth to get them to say what they actually want me to do about their issue. Many times, they are partial refund fishing.

Not saying that's what you are doing at all. Sometimes a partial is completely appropriate for the situation. Seller's call on that one.

What I'm trying to say is just be up front with the seller and simply tell them what would make you happy.

I know I certainly appreciate it when a buyer doesn't waffle about. Much less stress on me as a seller.

Hi @moo*cow*corner

This post really surprised me as a buyer.  I would never suggest to a seller what they should do.  To me, that is kind of disrespectful and nervy.  It is their place to offer solutions, not for the buyer to tell them.  Plus, I think it is against eBay rules for the buyer to communicate this to the seller, and I think that only adds to the adversarial atmosphere here and may encourage scammers.  JMO

I might just let the issue go, but I might also message the seller with the issue.  If I really am just providing a heads up as to what happened so it does not happen again, I make that clear that I have no problem with this but others might so to prevent possible problems...

If I hope for some action, I simply describe the situation and ask them to please advise.  Then the seller may message offer possible options for resolution, and I can make a decision.

I see your point, and I know sellers are not psychic but it just seems kind of rude to me as a buyer to do that.   JMO

Maybe I am too polite?   Smiley Very Happy

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

I don't think it is unreasonable for a seller to ASK you to upload a photo at all. 

As a buyer when I've had a problem I usually include a photo with my initial contact so the seller can see what the issue is.  NO, you are not required to, but if the issue is as you claim it to be I cannot see why you wouldn't.  As for a video???  I would NOT do that only because I'm lazy and videos are trickier.  I think a photo is a MINOR inconvenience and I would have not problem with it.

As a seller, if I had a buyer refuse to send a photo of what the issue was, I would do the bare minimum for them.  And where I MIGHT just refund without requiring a return with a photo, you can bet I would require a return for refund even if that meant I had to pay for return shipping. 

NOPE, you aren't required to upload a photo, but it might be in your best interest to do so.

I'm not a lawyer, I don't even play one on TV

Blink Blink
Message 26 of 32
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

@moo*cow*corner wrote:

Hi @moo*cow*corner

This post really surprised me as a buyer.  I would never suggest to a seller what they should do.  To me, that is kind of disrespectful and nervy.  It is their place to offer solutions, not for the buyer to tell them.  Plus, I think it is against eBay rules for the buyer to communicate this to the seller, and I think that only adds to the adversarial atmosphere here and may encourage scammers.  JMO

I don't see this as nervy at all.  After gathering all the info I can get the buyer to give me, sometimes I flat out ask..."What can I do to make this a satisfactory transaction for you?"or "What would you consider an acceptable resolution?" It tells the buyer I hear them and I'm willing to work with them to reach a mutually agreeable solution. Why would I report a buyer for honestly answering my question? I don't think I've ever reported a buyer for asking for a partial refund, unless they are crazy, threatening, or very rude and demanding. As the seller, I always have the option to just say NO and insist on return for 100% refund.

I might just let the issue go, but I might also message the seller with the issue.  If I really am just providing a heads up as to what happened so it does not happen again, I make that clear that I have no problem with this but others might so to prevent possible problems...

I appreciate this kind of input from buyers too. I always say thanks, even if I'm never going to do as they suggest.  wink

If I hope for some action, I simply describe the situation and ask them to please advise.  Then the seller may message offer possible options for resolution, and I can make a decision.

As a seller, I have come to hate the words 'please advise'. If they are partial fishing, so what? As I said, I can just say no and insist on return.

I see your point, and I know sellers are not psychic but it just seems kind of rude to me as a buyer to do that.   JMO

If a buyer is being polite and reasonable, and lets me know what they want, I'll know if right away if I can accomodate them. I'd like to be able to get right on fixing their problem if I can, rather that dithering about trying to figure out what it's going to take to make them happy. It's the nebulous fishing I hate. Sometimes it's like trying to nail Jello to a tree. Bah.

Maybe I am too polite?   Smiley Very Happy

You can ask for what you want respectfully and politely!  If you are looking for a certain resolution, why not just ask? You may not get it, but it will at least give the seller a concrete starting point to work with you in trying to provide fulfilling customer service.

Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 27 of 32
latest reply

@missjen316 wrote:

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

@ymeagainlord wrote:
Especially considering the content of past threads by the OP regarding return requests as a seller.

ikr, the hypocricy makes my head spin.

Sellers come screeching to the boards that their buyers refuse to upload pictures of damage...and when the shoe's on the other foot...they don't want to upload pictures of the damage....

Not mention.....the word "honest" is in their user ID! 

@missjen831

I have to say this hit me in the face as well and thought about mentioning it but was afraid it was just me.  Telling me how honest you are always turns me on my heels.  Statements like....I'm a Christian woman (Donna Brazile), we are honest sellers, etc get my head going where it wouldn't otherwise go.   I approach everyone with the first impression they are honest until they give me a reason to not trust them.  The fastest way to make me distrustful of someone is is for them to tell me to trust them.  And YES, I do look at user names as tiny parts of a seller's character.

I wish to make it clear that I'm not impugning the OP's character, but the name does not instill confidence in them for a number of people (myself included), in fact just the opposite.

I'm not a lawyer, I don't even play one on TV

Blink Blink
Message 28 of 32
latest reply

Actually, I believe you are correct that a buyer doesn't have to send pictures of any alleged damage to items to the seller.  However, to refuse to do so would, in my mind, raise red flags immediately.  Just as a refusal to cooperate in an insurance claim causes me to think about why.

Naturally, the seller can't hold you at gunpoint forcing you to take and send photographs, but you can see where your out of hand refusal to do so might result in a few raised eyebrows.

Being that you, yourself, am a seller, I doubt that failure to have the skill or equipment to take and send a photo can be the reason for your reluctance to do it.  If you consider it too much trouble, you really have no right to complain when someone considers similar requests by you to be too much trouble.

Frankly, the sending of such photos may determine if I'm willing to simply refund without requiring a return or insisting on one.  Of course, the seller will be stuck for the return postage, but again don't complain when it happens to you.  In my opinion, the rule of three would, in all likelihood, be in full force.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 29 of 32
latest reply

No, you don't have to, but if you don't do it, it appeaars that you are not being honest or cooperative.

If you were really having issues, you wouldn't hesitate to upload some photos of the problem. That's how sellers see it. They can't just take everyone's word any more, lots of people are dishonest (not saying you are), but we have to ask these things so we're not getting ripped off - surely you can understand that, right?

Message 30 of 32
latest reply