cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Protection Policy on False Claim Return

Hello! 

I need some opinions. I had a buyer request a return due to their item missing pieces, even though my listing explicitly stated which pieces were missing. Bear with me, as this was my first time attempting to "deny" a return request. I quickly found out the Money Back Guarantee could bite me, so I contacted support before the case was escalated. Prior to contacting support, I told the customer I would not offer a refund for the item, and sent them screenshots of the listings and highlighted the two places where I stated the pieces were missing (hence the low price). 

Contacting support, I was told that I need to accept the return regardless, but I could report the buyer for stating a false claim and my seller protection would kick in. This is what I was told would happen, in order:

1.) Accept Return. Pay for Shipping label. Report Buyer.

2.) Receive Item. Seller protection kicks in; contact Ebay to dispute the refund.

3.) Resolve the case without buyer refund.

From my understanding, the buyer is protected up until the item returns to me. I then assess that the item indeed matched the post and my seller protection kicks in. This sounds great in theory, but from what I've read on Ebay, sellers never really get out of refunding Buyer's Remorse/False Claim returns. Thoughts?

I'll update when return progresses. I've paid for the shipping label and I'm waiting for the customer to return the item. Which, understandably, they may not, because I pointed out they bought what they paid for. I also reported them under counsel of eBay support.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop where I get a BBE, negative feedback, or serious damage to my seller status. Thanks for your input in advance.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Bear with me, as this was my first time attempting to "deny" a return request.

@coloradocoffeemom 

You had me way back here at this ^^^ sentence. But let me speak to/correct this portion of your post:

1.) Accept Return. Pay for Shipping label. Refund buyer in full upon return. Report Buyer. Relist item.

2.) Receive Item. Seller protection kicks in; contact Ebay to dispute the refund. Refund buyer in full. Relist item.

3.) Resolve the case without buyer refund. << This means the buyer closes the claim and keeps the item.

Returns are sort of double-edged swords. If you refund in full upon return, you'll suffer no seller metric dings and all will be right with your eBay world. If you don't refund in full and your buyer escalates the case to eBay, you'll be forced to refund, plus get a seller defect. There's no "seller protection" such as what you understand from C/S.

Now, if eBay forces a full refund (after you don't), you'll have the chance to appeal but you'll lose and get the defect.

I guess what I'm trying to say is to NOT deny a NAD Return... not even the first time. Good luck, however you play it.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

YOU can deny the return, but EBAY will override, as you found out. Years ago, you could "argue" out of accepting a return,  and I have found it's best just to accept the return and refund and be done with it. You, at best, will get back what you sent out and can relist it

Sorry you are dealing with this!.

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

@coloradocoffeemom wrote:

Hello! 

I need some opinions. I had a buyer request a return due to their item missing pieces, even though my listing explicitly stated which pieces were missing. Bear with me, as this was my first time attempting to "deny" a return request. I quickly found out the Money Back Guarantee could bite me, so I contacted support before the case was escalated. Prior to contacting support, I told the customer I would not offer a refund for the item, and sent them screenshots of the listings and highlighted the two places where I stated the pieces were missing (hence the low price). 

Contacting support, I was told that I need to accept the return regardless, but I could report the buyer for stating a false claim and my seller protection would kick in. This is what I was told would happen, in order:

1.) Accept Return. Pay for Shipping label. Report Buyer.

2.) Receive Item. Seller protection kicks in; contact Ebay to dispute the refund.

3.) Resolve the case without buyer refund.

<snip>

The way you worded this sounds like you believe the buyer needs to return the item to you, as the seller, then you get to "resolve the case without buyer refund". So, the buyer would be out the item and the money they paid? You get the item back plus you get to keep the money the buyer paid you? That is what you believe is fair? 

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

The REAL way it will works is

1.) you cannot 'deny' a return like this

2.) so you approve and pay for the return shipping (if you don't, ebay will just refund buyer)

3.) when you get it back, you refund the buyer or ebay will

4.) you can 'appeal' and nothing will happen

5.) you will have item and buyer will have their money

That is how it will work

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

I don't believe that is fair, nor does the advice the support rep gave me sound correct. Which is why I'm posting here. It seems like the buyer would get an extremely short end of the stick in this situation if it goes through.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Thank you for your advice! 

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

@coloradocoffeemom wrote:

I don't believe that is fair, nor does the advice the support rep gave me sound correct. Which is why I'm posting here. It seems like the buyer would get an extremely short end of the stick in this situation if it goes through.

The phone reps are from a call center, they always side with the caller to get them off the phone and tick the issue resolved list. This platform offers a money back guarantee to all buyers, so obviously that advice would not be correct. Is there really a reason to question such a scenario where a person can sell an item, get that same item back, and keep the money. Always keep in mind the MBG trumps all. Best of luck to you....

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Bear with me, as this was my first time attempting to "deny" a return request.

@coloradocoffeemom 

You had me way back here at this ^^^ sentence. But let me speak to/correct this portion of your post:

1.) Accept Return. Pay for Shipping label. Refund buyer in full upon return. Report Buyer. Relist item.

2.) Receive Item. Seller protection kicks in; contact Ebay to dispute the refund. Refund buyer in full. Relist item.

3.) Resolve the case without buyer refund. << This means the buyer closes the claim and keeps the item.

Returns are sort of double-edged swords. If you refund in full upon return, you'll suffer no seller metric dings and all will be right with your eBay world. If you don't refund in full and your buyer escalates the case to eBay, you'll be forced to refund, plus get a seller defect. There's no "seller protection" such as what you understand from C/S.

Now, if eBay forces a full refund (after you don't), you'll have the chance to appeal but you'll lose and get the defect.

I guess what I'm trying to say is to NOT deny a NAD Return... not even the first time. Good luck, however you play it.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Thank you immensely. From what I've seen on other posts it's best to just accept the refund. I wish I had the foresight to take to the forum BEFORE I reported/provided false return information to my buyer. I appreciate you!

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

"I wish I had the foresight to..."

@coloradocoffeemom 

As to ^^^ this... my grandma always said, "Experience is something you get just after  you need it." She's still right. 😊

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

This is what I was told would happen, in order:

@coloradocoffeemom 

The lied.  eBay prefers to say that the CS agent 'misspoke', but they lied and often do. 
The fact that your mentioned the same thing the buyer is complaining about doesn't matter anymore.  Once the buyer chooses a "not as described" reason from the dropdown (in your case missing parts/pieced, that is all that counts.  The ensuing process is automated.  Your description or your photos won't matter anymore, and basically the buyer can send back anything and you will still be required to refund.  

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Here's another thing you learned-buyers don't read everything. Maybe they used their phone to order and didn't see the entire description. Many people here have issues when they try to sell something with missing parts-I personally try to stay away from posting those items.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

The closest that you may come to seller protection is that eBay "may" credit you up to $6 for the return postage when reporting a "false claim" return.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

The REAL way it will works is

1.) you cannot 'deny' a return like this

2.) so you approve and pay for the return shipping (if you don't, ebay will just refund buyer)

3.) when you get it back, you refund the buyer or ebay will

4.) you can 'appeal' and nothing will happen

5.) you will have item and buyer will have their money

That is how it will work

You can't be any more clearer or straight forward than that.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Once you receive the item back as you go through the refund process in the item case there will be an option to report the buyer for abusing returns. Be sure to fill out the associated form as this does give the buyer a defect on their account for abusing returns. If a buyer accumulates too many of these they can loose their ability to open future returns. No one seems to know exactly how many reports it takes for this action to happen though. This doesn't prevent you from having to issue a full refund but by doing this you may help out other sellers in the future and you do get the one seller protection eBay does offer for a faulty return which is that the buyer will not be able to leave you feedback.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply