cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Protection Policy on False Claim Return

Hello! 

I need some opinions. I had a buyer request a return due to their item missing pieces, even though my listing explicitly stated which pieces were missing. Bear with me, as this was my first time attempting to "deny" a return request. I quickly found out the Money Back Guarantee could bite me, so I contacted support before the case was escalated. Prior to contacting support, I told the customer I would not offer a refund for the item, and sent them screenshots of the listings and highlighted the two places where I stated the pieces were missing (hence the low price). 

Contacting support, I was told that I need to accept the return regardless, but I could report the buyer for stating a false claim and my seller protection would kick in. This is what I was told would happen, in order:

1.) Accept Return. Pay for Shipping label. Report Buyer.

2.) Receive Item. Seller protection kicks in; contact Ebay to dispute the refund.

3.) Resolve the case without buyer refund.

From my understanding, the buyer is protected up until the item returns to me. I then assess that the item indeed matched the post and my seller protection kicks in. This sounds great in theory, but from what I've read on Ebay, sellers never really get out of refunding Buyer's Remorse/False Claim returns. Thoughts?

I'll update when return progresses. I've paid for the shipping label and I'm waiting for the customer to return the item. Which, understandably, they may not, because I pointed out they bought what they paid for. I also reported them under counsel of eBay support.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop where I get a BBE, negative feedback, or serious damage to my seller status. Thanks for your input in advance.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Seller Protection Policy on False Claim Return

These are your options -

Accept the return.

Send a label and once you receive it, refund in full.

eBay will refund the fees.

OR refund the buyer now and eBay will refund the fees.

You will not get the item back but dont have to pay shipping back to you.

OR do nothing, eBay will refund the buyer and allow them to keep the item.

You will most likely get a negative FB. eBay will keep all fees AND give you a seller defect.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply