cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Protection? How can I file a claim?

I sold an Apple Watch via Buy it Now. Shipped after it was paid and used eBay shipping. Right after it shipped, Buyer filed a do not recognize transaction with their CC company. I provided tracking # showing that the watch was delivered to the correct address. CC company sided with buyer and eBay is charging me back. Seller Protection says they cover Sellers in this type of situation! To add insult to injury, eBay charges a dispute fee in addition to taking back my money?! What can I do? I’ve been selling with eBay for over 20 years with a 100% rating. This is ridiculous.

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Re: Seller Protection? How can I file a claim?

This is how Ebay is finally going to destroy their selling platform & brand reputation.

I can deal with them being slow & greedy.  I can't deal with them saying one thing and then doing another, leaving seller's with no "seller protection".

I sell a variety of products, some are low value $15 or so...some are $500/$1,000 or even more.

If I am not backed up by Ebay on these large value items, that can take a away a week's profits OR even more.

I simply can't risk it...so I am going to blow out my inventory of the high value stuff, move it to ANOTHER selling venue where i do have some protection....and then sell low value/high margin stuff on Ebay.

I would not be surprised if in a year from now, many other seller's adapt my strategy and Ebay goes back to a "swap meet" mentality for low ticket items.

Ebay has really shot themselves in the foot and destroyed their brand.

Message 31 of 44
latest reply

Reading these day after day is starting to make me feel a little sick to my stomach.. Actually a LOT sick to my stomach. 

My question is this: Sellers have NOTHING and I mean NOTHING to do with processing the payment, verifying the credit card- THAT is ALL done by eBay and/or Adyen..

So WHY on earth are sellers punished at all for charge backs? WHY? 

We didn't accept the payment, we didn't verify the payment and we don't get to FIGHT when a chargeback is made, no matter what the "reason" the buyer gives..

Sellers should NOT be the ones out the money- NONE of this is in our power to change!

If we can't prevent it- we shouldn't be punished for it. PERIOD 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 32 of 44
latest reply

When It Comes To Ebay Lately, There is NO Seller Protection!!, Sorry But It's True!

Message 33 of 44
latest reply

Feels like eBay spends 80% on protecting buyers and 20% on protecting sellers. Yes, some loss is the cost of doing business. Gotta deal with that. And, buyers are protected both by CC company and eBay and sellers by almost none. 

Why aren't CC companies better at IDing fraudulent eBay purchases. I have CC canceled automatically for a small purchases. If this was a stolen card, they why is the burden on the eBay seller?  

Was there less of this when we all were on PP? 

Message 34 of 44
latest reply

I'm wondering what the charge with the sellers name, looked like on the buyers cc bill?

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 35 of 44
latest reply

@krazzykats    Here's one that I recently had: 

eBay O*07-07154-61163 San Jose CA

No seller name, no item number, it's almost designed to confuse. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 36 of 44
latest reply

I noticed this only seems to be happening with expensive items. Sounds like eBay is being cheap and not honoring what they promised because they don't want to take big losses. I had one of these for $12.99 and eBay covered it, but I keep hearing them refusing to cover loss on expensive items.

Message 37 of 44
latest reply

Haven't you heard? It's all over these boards. The old eBay fleamarkert is now the new and improved frebay fremarket. The thieves have open season here now. They can steal from sellers at will and ebay helps them all along the way. I've read on these boards that there are on line videos that explain just how to do it.  It's getting worse and the horror stories are becoming more and more frequent. 

Message 38 of 44
latest reply

This disgusts me. 

So now no one to advocate for us on facebook either?  They have to know you've tried the normal channels.

So Seller Protection means what?  Means if and when, we might?

Well.  There just are not words.  Out so much money this year.  Had to fight like he77 to keep from losing several more.

😞

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 39 of 44
latest reply

@krazzykats wrote:

I'm wondering what the charge with the sellers name, looked like on the buyers cc bill?

ON Mp its no sellers name just eBay and order number: a lot have no idea what such a charge is for;

It seems this is one way they learned to use such for scamming I believe....

Message 40 of 44
latest reply

Well, the timing is good...i am sitting here sorting what we leave up as we re-open tomorrow.  No high dollar items for sure.

Soon, we'll just invite everyone over and just it all awsy.  Faster.  Less painful.   lol

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 41 of 44
latest reply

The only way this will change is if eBay gets bad publicity for it.  The only way to do that is to get media coverage where eBay is the bad guy.  Some local TV outlets look for stories like this they can cover, they always want to run bad news because that's what people watch for.  

If eBay on Facebook had responded to me that way I would have said "well how about some common sense, get someone from Managed Payments to address this, or I'm going to go public with it with my local TV station how eBay harms their sellers over and over." 

Message 42 of 44
latest reply

If congress wasn't so useless then there would be a law that the actual credit card company would take the loss on 'stolen card' transactions. The card company should be responsible for THEIR customers (the card holders) and if their customer's card number gets stolen and used, that shouldn't be a loss to the business in which the product was purchased. This should strictly be on the card company's head. THEY are the ones who approve the purchase. THEY should be responsible. 

Yet, it's always the little guy who takes the loss. It's why the rich get richer, while the poor get poorer (as my Grandma used to say) 

Message 43 of 44
latest reply

@glasser wrote:

Feels like eBay spends 80% on protecting buyers and 20% on protecting sellers. 

This seems a very generous split.
probably closer to 95/5 and it’s getting worse, unfortunately. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 44 of 44
latest reply