cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Performance Means Absolutely Nothing CUSTOMER SERVICE Doesn't Help!

I have found over the last 10 years that Seller Performance really doesn't mean too much to eBay when it comes to the way I get treated time and time again.  I'm a Top Rated Seller and actually opted out of being a Top Rated Seller Plus, though I was one for a while.  I've got 187 followers and impeccable feedback. I have a store and maintain an average of about 700+ items every month.  I sell collectible sheet music and have wondered lately if I am just absolutely clueless about what I'm doing.  The problem lies in the placement of my listings.  As a top seller, I was told yesterday by a Customer Service Rep that my items are suppose to be shown in the first page when I post a new item for auction...really? What a joke!  I didn't see a change in that regard tonight and wonder if it will ever change.  I cannot help but feel like for whatever reason I get discriminated against because I don't bring in enough money in sales, not like a lot of the other sellers who have had the good fortune to buy up big collections to sell off piece by piece.  But I don't even get a chance, because eBay flat out does not give my listings at auction a fair shake.  As far as the BIN items, I pay a whopping 10% ad rate to have my items promoted, but unless I check the listings, there's just some days that anyone would be hard pressed to find any of my listings ANYWHERE.  I constantly have markdown sales and coupons to encourage buyers, but if eBay isn't showing my items to anyone, than how is that ever going to matter.  Granted, I study the traffic reports and can see that my impressions are across the board, but where, honestly, are they putting my listings -- under "tube socks"?  It makes a person wonder.... So then I try to contact Customer Service again, tonight.  I was under the impression that the reps are suppose to be working up until 10:00 p.m. weekdays, well this isn't the first time I've tried to contact an agent to get a callback and they waste my time for a good hour.  This has happened before and it makes me wonder if any of the representatives are actually working, or if they are just laughing at me for even trying to get help.

So here I am venting and really want to have a good cry if I thought that would make any difference.  I'm pleading to the community in hopes of someone having a suggestion on what else I could possibly do to get my listings seen.  My items are desirable pieces, and that has been proven in my sales over the years, so my niche seems to be correct in that regard.  I probably work about 80 hours a week and stay stressed out about 90% of that time wondering when the next sale will come through.  I don't sell trash like so many of the other sellers in my category, I spend a great deal of time cleaning and doing any repairs that may be needed on my items, before I even consider posting them.  I do post 12 images whenever possible, I do give complete condition descriptions, I do fill in all of the item specifics including what is necessary of my own. I honestly believe I turn over every stone possible for a sale -- and what will totally blow my mind is to find that someone else has sold an item just like mine for an outrageous amount of money and it be trash.  If buyers are not given the opportunity to see that other items are available, they will buy the first thing that comes up.  Sometimes I wish I had the ability to not care, but are there not other platforms I could go to that would give me a better shake on what I sale?  Have I been just kidding myself in to hoping that eBay is the best place to sell?  Are all of their "seller protections" really doing me any good if I'm not making the kind of money I should and could be making somewhere else. I've reached a point to where I am exhausted and feel like I'm beating my head against the wall for nothing.  I am so open to suggestions and ideas, please feel free to contact me.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Seller Performance Means Absolutely Nothing CUSTOMER SERVICE Doesn't Help!

Hi!    

You could cross post your items, maybe try a few & see if that helps.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

I'm rather confused...........I think you are complaining that your items don't get shown...........yet  you have over 170 sales in the last 3 months....  so obviously they are being seen/purchased.  You only have 11 auctions up presently.....so most of the over 700 listings are fixed priced......and even if every auction sold, that would not increase your sold %'s that much.

I think your fear of wondering when the next sale will be is shared by many of us.........but I think it's just the natural fear of the unknown, despite our years of experience of getting sales. 

Frankly, it looks like to me you are pretty successful......obviously you put in alot of work and care into your listings......

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

I do cross-post a lot of my listings, but thanks for the suggestion.

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

The sales come from paying 10% of my sales to have eBay promote them, and that means all of them.  I also pay additional fees to cross post my items.  I pay to have my items scheduled to list at certain times and always have my auctions end on premium nights.   I constantly have discounts and provide coupons -- okay, so where are they being shown.  I don't see how my sales have improved if I'm 25% in the whole, based on last months stats; I was doing much better than that 3-4 months ago.  My sales soared a few months back with even a 150% increase and more on two particular weekends.  I'm waiting on a call from Customer Service now.  Out of my 11 auction style listings that I posted on Sunday and then again last night, 1 of them shows up on page 3, 1 on page 5, 1 on 7....I stopped looking after that.  My auction style items that I had listed last week were not showing up for anyone to care either.  If it hadn't of been for my BIN items, I would have stayed in the toilet.  I depend on this income due to my fixed income.  I make investments for my inventory and pay for supplies with costs through the roof along with all the fees that I pay eBay, I'm not coming out too far ahead financially based on Net over Gross.  I basically feel like I'm being treated like a new seller who is still weeding through all the steps and hoping to get help.  As far as the number of sales at 170 for the last 3 months, you ought to check out the number of sales some of my competitors have, usually double mine...they are lousy sellers and generally sell a lot of trash, but their listings show up all the time everywhere.  It is as if these people must be paying 25% to have their items promoted, granted their prices are a lot lower for most of their items, but they should be based on what they are selling.  Thanks for the suggestions and comments, however.

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

You are in one of the slowest moving categories on ebay. I put up about 100 vintage sheet music listings back in March, each one I listed the cheapest on ebay, and I have since marked all of them down 10 percent two separate times and sent offers to watcher every time one of them got a watcher and so far I have sold 2 of them.

Currently your chosen category has 735,000 listings and only 51,000 solds. That means it takes the average sheet music or songbook listing takes 43 months to sell. While I am sure that is not the worst sell through category on ebay, it is the worst one I have ever done the math to calculate.

I would consider a different category. When I recently got another lot of sheet music I just bundled it all together for almost nothing and it hasn't even had so much as a watcher.

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

The amount of completely unrelated results to searches is just staggering.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

I know nothing about what you sell.  When I search  "broadway sheet music" from a not signed in private widow with best match, I see about 5 of your listings on the first page and about 10 on the second page.  Most of the others are under $10 and yours seem to mostly be over $15.  So your listings are there in search, but more expensive.  Also pricing things higher and then making it 7% off is not doing you any good with ebay or buyers

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

You don't need to promote everything...promote just a few ( a couple) at a very high rate...maybe the most expensive....buyers will then look at all your other stuff.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Thank you for your comments.  Not all people who sell sheet music have sheet music that has any resell value.  Most of what does sell in the market will only sell for about 10 cents to maybe 50 cents.  There are hundreds of thousands of people in the world who think that old sheet music has some type of value because it is old and maybe it has a cute picture or movie theme on the cover, but that is not what sells most sheet music.  To begin with back in the day before radio came along people would gather around the piano and sing, so to meet the demands of the market most pieces of music had over 5,000,000 published.  A lot of that music still exists, even though degradation of the paper can be a problem, most of that music is still in great shape as far as being able to read the music and whether it stands up well at the piano.  A good bit of it will still sale on eBay for a couple of bucks.  However, I sell collectible sheet music, the pieces that didn't have 5 million printed that have been written by certain composers or particular eras such as jazz, or maybe it has a particular artist picture on it or rarely seen actors or actresses, etc., or can be a particular style that's hard to find such as "rags."  Condition can mean everything too, if the music is soiled or stained, is creased and wrinkled up, has tape (scotch tape etc.) on it anywhere, writing, marks, etc.  There are several things that collector's look for in a piece.  Not that all music that sells is in the best of conditions, it might have all of those issues, but maybe only have 10 or so known pieces still available that can be found.  Because generally back when the music was originally published people didn't save their music, if it got torn up or whatever, it was trashed and burned.  Collector's also will seek out music that has a particular theme such as automobiles, planes, trains, boats, pretty girls and so forth.  There's collectors that will only collect certain composer's music for example.  My point being that you are probably trying to sell some very common sheet music and that is why you've had limited interest in what you've made available.  I spend a great deal of my time researching most of the sheet music I sell, well before I even consider it having resell value.  Plus I'm very particular about condition and for the most part will clean, repair, and do any restorative work on the music from the start, so I do have a following.  As a matter of fact I've got 287 followers who follow me for my sheet music, I don't sell anything else other than songbooks and an occasional music-related item.  I've also been doing this for 10 years and if I wasn't making any money selling sheet music I would have pulled the plug years ago, because quite often eBay has treated me like the red-headed stepchild in the bunch who doesn't deserve their attention.  I think my buyers would be willing to argue the point, but if they are not showing my music in the first 10 pages like they have said they would do based on my status as a seller, etc., I'm certainly not going to get any new buyers or followers, right?  Now after you've read and learned more than you had originally planned, do you see the problem here?  I wouldn't mind checking out your music, because one never knows, you might have that one piece that everyone is looking for.  Thanks again

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

It depends on what you are looking for.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

Thank you for your input and taking out time to actually do a search.  Are you suggesting that my prices are too high, or that I should just not offer discounts.  Are you seeing duplicates of the same music, did you examine the condition, and what kind of guarantees and service are those other sellers providing.  If I've listed something at a higher price, maybe I might just get that buyer who thinks that if an item is priced higher than it must be better or maybe mine is actually better than all of the other sellers sheet music.  I'd say 90% or more of my items are posted with best offer available, plus if they use the coupon they can get even a bigger discount, and I combine shipping whereas if you buy 1 or 10 or 20 pieces, the shipping will always be the same price.  Are you just looking for Broadway music, or are you looking for a particular song from that musical that maybe you can't find anywhere else...but try just typing vintage sheet music into the search, or just sheet music, and see how many of my pieces show up.  I do that twice a day in the morning and in the evening and preview at least 5 of the 1st pages in the category, so please do that first and then come back and tell me how many of my pieces are actually showing up in the search, please.  As well, I'm not willing to work about 80 hours a week to only make a buck or two selling my music, it that were the case I would sell trash like a lot of the sellers sell, give one image in the listing, say it's in good condition, and boot it out the door in some flimsy package that will guarantee that the music will get all bent up and wet during the shipping process.  If all I've got to lose is a couple of bucks then I wouldn't care anymore than most of those sellers care who generally post 5,000 or more pieces of sheet music that isn't worth a nickel, but have convinced most buyers that their music is the best on the market.

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Looking further into your category and your own store I see that you have a 12.8 month sell through rate, which is really good for your category.

Your problem is your prices, you appear to just be making prices up and not looking at existing prices. I checked 10 of your recent items. 9 of them were available from other sellers, all at cheaper prices than yours, sometimes much cheaper prices from multiple sellers. The last item was one no one else had but you. In most cases your item was the most expensive one listed.

I know condition is a thing, but it seems unlikely that you have the nicest one every single time, particularly since I looked at the photos in multiple listings and that was simply not the case.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

That's good advice, but if I did that then 90% of my items wouldn't show up at all.  People of all walks of life have different taste and needs, so if they are looking for a piece of music with one of my titles on it, I want it to be in their face as soon as possible, before they go to the next persons music and decide to buy theirs instead because it was the most available piece they found.  After battling over this issue before, I found this seemed to be an answer to a long-term problem, because otherwise, a lot of my pieces would go to the bottom of the pile within probably minutes.  Who knows?

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

@scrapsmusic wrote:

That's good advice, but if I did that then 90% of my items wouldn't show up at all.  People of all walks of life have different taste and needs, so if they are looking for a piece of music with one of my titles on it, I want it to be in their face as soon as possible, before they go to the next persons music and decide to buy theirs instead because it was the most available piece they found.  After battling over this issue before, I found this seemed to be an answer to a long-term problem, because otherwise, a lot of my pieces would go to the bottom of the pile within probably minutes.  Who knows?

What you are missing out on is what happens when a buyer searches for a specific piece of music. Then there is no pile, there is usually a small number of them available, all on the same page, and yours is probably the most expensive, so they buy it from someone else.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply