cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selecting Which Watcher To Make An Offer To

Greetings All:

So, I decided to try the feature where sellers can pitch offers to watchers for an item. I had no option to select to which watcher to make an offer, and the notification said it will be sent to a selected one. I wanted to at least be able to see which watcher was closer, making shipping less and thereby maybe making the offer more likely to be thoughtfully considered.  For example, a 3 lb item to GA is much less than one to CA for my zone. Is there a way I can select for myself to which watcher to extend the offer?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

They aren't going to show you any more info......  and you can't choose which watcher anyway.............

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

That is a very good question and i agree with your thoughts ! Maybe Ebay should add this as and option for sellers?
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Not to be a defeatist, but IMHO, this option would be a big ol' straightening of the deck chairs on the Titanic.  I've had my seller account since 2001, and as far as those in the peanut gallery, few, (if any) morph in to buyers.  A third are just curious, another third want to know what the one they have is worth, and the reaming third want to see if you'll lower the price to a ridiculous level.  Fawning for a sale from a looker is a very dicey bet, but a sure thing waste of time.  Again, this is just my opinion.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

, few, (if any) morph in to buyers.

@u_cant_take_it_with_u 

is there a way to tell if a watcher buys?

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

, few, (if any) morph in to buyers.

@u_cant_take_it_with_u 

is there a way to tell if a watcher buys?

Yes...You ask them Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@164nc wrote:

So, I decided to try the feature where sellers can pitch offers to watchers for an item. I had no option to select to which watcher to make an offer, and the notification said it will be sent to a selected one. 

Really? I thought the offer, if the seller chooses to send one, is sent to all watchers at the same time, to add a little incentive to buy the item before someone else does.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Ebay chooses the watchers...sometimes one, sometimes more than one. The main incentive is that the watcher (or watchers) is getting a limited time discount, which helps create the sense of urgency.

As others have said, many people put items on their watch list with no intention of buying. However, I don't think ebay would be giving us this tool if their data showed watchers don't respond...my thought is, enough people watch with the intent of buying that it is worth it to try.

My other thought is, a higher percentage of people who put commodity type items on their watch list do so with the intent to buy. A lower percentage do it for things like collectibles and antiques, because many of those watchers are just people researching price points for their own items, or for other reasons unrelated to buying.

I sell mostly one offs, used and old items, and so while I'll use this, I will do so with very low expectations because I suspect most of my watchers have no intention of buying. But it costs nothing, it's easy to do, and if it results in an occasional sale, sure, I'll go ahead and use it.
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

That's how I thought it worked too. I was wondering, why is this saying an "individual" watcher. Anyway it took several tries to get the feature to even input an amount. IDK, and don't really think the feature will add to any sales as I am of the opinion that most are other sellers monitoring to see how to price their item competitively.
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

If you pick me, I will delete it as spam!

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I tried it with a few of my listings that had 2 watchers.  ebay sent my offer (10% reduction) to all watchers, except for 1 item.  ebay said they would only send to one watcher.  I know a buyer can opt out of receiving second chance offers, so can buyers opt out of this as well?

I have tried the volume pricing, and no one has jumped on it, so thought I'd try this new feature.  Not interested in promoted listings at all.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 11 of 11
latest reply