cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search shows extremely high shipping cost

I'm a seller in Canada and I've noticed that my sales to the USA have dropped off significantly. When searching on ebay.com (or ebay.ca), the shipping fees show significantly higher in the search results than on the listing itself, whenever any US zip code is used, and I believe this may be a significant contributing factor to the lack of sales.

This is affecting all my listings. I have already spent 4 hours with eBay support attempting to resolve this issue to no avail, plus my own troubleshooting: changing shippers, shipping policy, creating new listings, etc. Probably 6 hours in total trying to resolve this; now I've lost all confidence in eBay support and feel like they are giving me the runaround.

One example:

Search result:

Image 2024-04-24 at 1.48.39 AM.png

Actual shipping options on the listing page for the same item:

Image 2024-04-24 at 1.49.04 AM.png

Does anybody have any clue what's going on here? I figure it should show the lowest (or at least one of the actual shipping options on the listing page) on the search page. 

Have used a VPN and had a friend check from the USA as well, and they confirmed the same problem with the search results.

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Search shows extremely high shipping cost

The "problem listing" is all my listings. See screenshot below for the one mentioned in my original post:

Image 2024-04-24 at 12.03.05 PM.png

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

I have definitely not abandoned this thread. You may have noticed I posted this around 2AM as I couldn't sleep because this issue is bothering me greatly. I also work full time and am now following up on my lunch time. I just received $200 worth of boxes so I'm highly motivated to get this resolved ASAP. I didn't realize you had wished for a screenshot. Here is one for the item I mentioned in the original post:

Glad to know you are checking back in many don't. Out of curiosity your primary service appears to be UPS standard, try changing that to UPS Ground and delete the other shipping options on this listing and lets see what happens. 

dbfolks166mt_0-1713987532383.png

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

Yes, I'll be checking back frequently as I cannot deal directly with ebay "support" they have given me the runaround and just completely disconnected from me a few moments ago. Unfortunately UPS ground is not an option, but I have just deleted all but "Canada Post Expedited Parcel - USA" and we'll see what happens.

timelesstechtrove_0-1713988192358.png

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

Yes, I'll be checking back frequently as I cannot deal directly with ebay "support" they have given me the runaround and just completely disconnected from me a few moments ago. Unfortunately UPS ground is not an option, but I have just deleted all but "Canada Post Expedited Parcel - USA" and we'll see what happens.

That appears to have corrected it. I am guessing eBay was adding up the individual shipping options and using that for the shipping cost. Still a bit high but I know shipping out of Canada is not cheap. 

dbfolks166mt_0-1713989829762.png

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

You must have done a global change all your shipping costs look better. 

dbfolks166mt_0-1713990039946.png

Message 20 of 32
latest reply

kyle@ebay 

devon@ebay 

elizabeth@ebay 

You may want to pass this along to tech support. 

That appears to have corrected it. I am guessing eBay was adding up the individual shipping options and using that for the shipping cost. Still a bit high but I know shipping out of Canada is not cheap. 

dbfolks166mt_1-1713990133423.png

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

I would opt out of EIS if I was in your shoes and see if that corrects the problem.  Wastingtime has a really good point too.  

Good luck.

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

I would opt out of EIS if I was in your shoes and see if that corrects the problem.  Wastingtime has a really good point too.  

OP is in Canada EIS is not an option for them. I believe we have found the problem see my post up thread. 

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

Thanks for checking back! I did (and am still doing) some extensive testing. It looks like the culprit is "UPS Standard United States" so you nailed it! This is most definitely an issue on eBays side kyle@ebay. This can be verified with disabling the other shipping options, leaving only UPS:

UPS Standard United States:

timelesstechtrove_0-1713995971595.png

Then testing with all the other options I had:

FedEx International Economy: 

timelesstechtrove_7-1713996376250.png

FedEx International Ground:

timelesstechtrove_2-1713996031958.png

Canada Post Expedited Parcel - USA: 

timelesstechtrove_3-1713996048584.png

I really appreciate everyone's help with this. I had another nearly 2 hour long chat with eBay "support" today and they couldn't get anywhere, not even describe or look into the issue properly, despite sending screenshots and referring to this thread. I figure it's just an AI bot, but it did say it was human. Who knows!

As a result, I've completely disabled UPS until eBay can (if they will) resolve the issue and added a few more shipping options from Canada Post, which may actually improve sales. It looks like it all lines up in the search, now:

timelesstechtrove_4-1713996269419.png

Hallelujah!!!

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

Thanks for checking back! I did (and am still doing) some extensive testing. It looks like the culprit is "UPS Standard United States" so you nailed it! This is most definitely an issue on eBays side kyle@ebay. This can be verified with disabling the other shipping options, leaving only UPS:

Glad we found the problem now all eBay tech has to do is figure out the cause and fix it. 

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

Still a bit odd for the heavier items; looks like the search page always defaults to the first option in the list (whether correct or not) rather than the least expensive option:

timelesstechtrove_0-1713997314762.png

Perhaps this is by design? Not sure how this would benefit sellers.

Edit. If I add UPS back in for this one item, it really is the cheapest option, so if this is by design, I would want it to show first, and correctly in the search results. This issue with UPS needs to be resolved ASAP kyle@ebay 

timelesstechtrove_1-1713997839179.png

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

Oddly enough, it seems to be totally at random what the search decides to show:

https://p223.p4.n0.cdn.zight.com/items/qGub1Zk0/562f4181-cc8e-4515-9689-6f8674031a3b.mp4

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

Oddly enough, it seems to be totally at random what the search decides to show:

https://p223.p4.n0.cdn.zight.com/items/qGub1Zk0/562f4181-cc8e-4515-9689-6f8674031a3b.mp4

You don't have to be in Canada to have this issue. It is a check, and often a correction, I have to make with every listing I post. 

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

Glad we found the problem now all eBay tech has to do is figure out the cause and fix it. 

One thought that occurred to me, though it may no longer be relevant given the recent discoveries about the UPS Shipping method, was whether the OP's use of metric units (Kg/g/cm/cm/cm) instead of Imperial units (Lbs/oz/in/in/in) for the Shipping details might be producing a calculation error someplace, in a function that's assuming it has Imperial units for shipping when the values passed in from the listing are actually metric.

This would not be the first time that there has been a disconnect between the listing values and the Shipping values retrieved later on. For several years the package dimensions entered into the listing in the order of Length, Width, Depth were read into the Shipping form in reverse order by mistake, Depth coming up in the Length field and Length coming up in the Depth field (a common error when pushing values onto a stack and then popping them off later, assuming that the values are First-In-First-Out when they will actually be Last-In-First-Out). The Shipping form code assumed that the first value was Length when it actually wasn't, so calculations for package girth (L+2W+2D), if needed, would come up incorrectly.

They finally got that fixed last year sometime, if I remember right, but as a sign of the disconnect between developers in different groups, to this day you can see in the page code that the listing form calls the third dimension value "packageDepth" where the Shipping form calls it "dimensions.height". At least they're on the same axis now.

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

One thought that occurred to me, though it may no longer be relevant given the recent discoveries about the UPS Shipping method, was whether the OP's use of metric units (Kg/g/cm/cm/cm) instead of Imperial units (Lbs/oz/in/in/in) for the Shipping details might be producing a calculation error someplace, in a function that's assuming it has Imperial units for shipping when the values passed in from the listing are actually metric.

Don't even get me started on that one. That's another issue that's existed since the dawn of time here. I would prefer to use Imperial, but it just doesn't work, and it never has (for me, at least.)

timelesstechtrove_0-1714009484020.png

Adding video because a gif doesn't work:
https://p223.p4.n0.cdn.zight.com/items/mXuWZG2G/f9e0b123-d434-4412-9d8a-744bfad8024f.mp4

Message 30 of 32
latest reply