cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Search shows extremely high shipping cost

I'm a seller in Canada and I've noticed that my sales to the USA have dropped off significantly. When searching on ebay.com (or ebay.ca), the shipping fees show significantly higher in the search results than on the listing itself, whenever any US zip code is used, and I believe this may be a significant contributing factor to the lack of sales.

This is affecting all my listings. I have already spent 4 hours with eBay support attempting to resolve this issue to no avail, plus my own troubleshooting: changing shippers, shipping policy, creating new listings, etc. Probably 6 hours in total trying to resolve this; now I've lost all confidence in eBay support and feel like they are giving me the runaround.

One example:

Search result:

Image 2024-04-24 at 1.48.39 AM.png

Actual shipping options on the listing page for the same item:

Image 2024-04-24 at 1.49.04 AM.png

Does anybody have any clue what's going on here? I figure it should show the lowest (or at least one of the actual shipping options on the listing page) on the search page. 

Have used a VPN and had a friend check from the USA as well, and they confirmed the same problem with the search results.

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Search shows extremely high shipping cost

I have never seen this problem before. It is also strange that the shipping cost is correct when you open up the listing. I can't help but wonder which cost would be factored in upon purchase of the item. When you talked with eBay did they open an actual ticket and did they provide you with a number? Obviously this is going to discourage a lot of potential US buyers from purchasing your items. 

The high shipping charges seem to be consistent across a number of your listings and appear to go up or down slightly depending on the weight or dims. Maybe one of the board moderators can forward this issue up to tech support. 

dbfolks166mt_0-1713955631232.png

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

Very strange. I checked a few other sellers from Canada, and none of them are having this issue.

@sakic92710 ever encountered this problem?

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

Even worse...  It's $90.53 for me in WI.Screenshot 2024-04-24 061120.png

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

Very odd, I see the same thing you do, a high shipping cost that doesn't match any of the options for shipping in the listing. I think this is an appropriate time to bring in the blues.

kyle@ebay 

devon@ebay 

elizabeth@ebay 

Any of you aware of a ticket or ongoing issue like this?

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

@brightlightbookseller wrote:

Very odd, I see the same thing you do, a high shipping cost that doesn't match any of the options for shipping in the listing. I think this is an appropriate time to bring in the blues.

kyle@ebay 

devon@ebay 

elizabeth@ebay 

Any of you aware of a ticket or ongoing issue like this?

Hey @brightlightbookseller thanks for the tag.  I'm not seeing any known issues that would explain what you're seeing.  We've gone ahead and passed this along to be reviewed.  

Kyle,
eBay
Message 6 of 32
latest reply

Hi @timelesstechtrove kyle@ebay . We saw something similar with US sellers at the time of eBay International Shipping launch. Search and the listing showed drastically different rates. We puzzled out at the time and figured out all of the listings affected were ones where the seller did not enter weight/dimensions on the listing form. eBay fixed whatever caused that issue to show matching rates between search and the listing. Bringing it up in case it's something similar happening here - do you have weight/dim in your listing?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 7 of 32
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Hi @timelesstechtrove kyle@ebay . We saw something similar with US sellers at the time of eBay International Shipping launch. Search and the listing showed drastically different rates. We puzzled out at the time and figured out all of the listings affected were ones where the seller did not enter weight/dimensions on the listing form. eBay fixed whatever caused that issue to show matching rates between search and the listing. Bringing it up in case it's something similar happening here - do you have weight/dim in your listing?

Hey @wastingtime101 thanks for that insight!  That could definitely be part of the solution this time around too.  

Kyle,
eBay
Message 8 of 32
latest reply

It's one of the reasons I had asked the OP up thread what this section of their listing looked like. So far they have not responded which is not uncommon after an initial post these days. We get an initial post and then dead silence out of the OP. 

dbfolks166mt_0-1713976711456.png

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

It's one of the reasons I had asked the OP up thread what this section of their listing looked like. So far they have not responded which is not uncommon after an initial post these days. We get an initial post and then dead silence out of the OP.

The OP actually raised this same question last month as well (here), and did respond to the thread later, although no one floated the current theory about missing dimensions and/or weight.

@timelesstechtrove : Please click the blue Reply button below and let us know what your original listing had for dimensions and weight.

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

Hi,

Yes, I have a ticket number from eBay: 1-476557026132.

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

Yes, every listing has the package weight and dimensions. I'm using calculated shipping, so I believe that is a requirement.

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

I have definitely not abandoned this thread. You may have noticed I posted this around 2AM as I couldn't sleep because this issue is bothering me greatly. I also work full time and am now following up on my lunch time. I just received $200 worth of boxes so I'm highly motivated to get this resolved ASAP. I didn't realize you had wished for a screenshot. Here is one for the item I mentioned in the original post:

Image 2024-04-24 at 12.03.05 PM.png

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

@timelesstechtrove wrote:

Yes, every listing has the package weight and dimensions. I'm using calculated shipping, so I believe that is a requirement.

@timelesstechtrove : Just to be certain: have you tried going into the problem listing to edit it (clicking on the "Sell Similar" option can do that) and scrolling down to the bottom to see what the declared weight and dimensions are in this particular case? What values did you plug in for that item?

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

Hi Kyle,

Please reference ticket: 1-476557026132 open since April 12th.

Message 15 of 32
latest reply