cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scary Happenings On The other E-Site

Very surprised there has been no discussion about the huge glitch to the other e-site funneling hundreds and thousands of dollars out of sellers checking accounts and charging their credit cards huge sums of money that was not owed over the weekend. Very scary when you consider they use the same Managed Payments Processor Ayden. Sorry but I do not have the link from Ecommercbytes but it is a MUST READ!

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: Scary Happenings On The other E-Site

One poster on  Etsy wrote: "If you have an Etsy account go to your finance page and turn off Auto Billing.  They cannot by law charge your account without your permission. "

Will have to remember this when eBay goes to total managed payments.  I think that eBay will further shoot themselves in the foot, if they don't allow buyers to use Pay Pal.  

Change the channel!
Message 16 of 40
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

They are the ones who screwed up somehow. Incompetence?  Disgruntled employee? Hacked? Who knows...and I'm sure Etsy won't go into any details aside from a lame apology to those that were affected.

Actually, eTsy did say what caused the problem.

Message 17 of 40
latest reply

You mean the lame "site change that went wrong" reason?
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 18 of 40
latest reply

I am thinking that such glitches can happen when the infrastructure of the company is not sufficient enough to handle the responsibility of all this. PP has had a large infrastructure, enough employees, experts, tech people probably to avoid such  mishaps. I love PP.

Message 19 of 40
latest reply

Some pretty massive errors by Etsy, though.

Message 20 of 40
latest reply

Which they are still compounding this morning (and still nothing but a lame "we're sorry but this only affected a small # of sellers and we're working on it"). Sound familiar?
Message 21 of 40
latest reply

I only use it as an overflow and I guess I am lucky I haven't had any issues.  I've made a few sales there but it is more hit and miss than here sometimes.  Even though I had a real good January.

Message 22 of 40
latest reply

Thank you so much for this very informative information
Message 23 of 40
latest reply

@18704d wrote:

A good reason why I, like many others,

use a totally different bank and bank account linked to our online sales and purchases.

That way, 'mistake's can't touch your real money.

This is just basic common sense and I'm amazed at how many people don't do this.

Message 24 of 40
latest reply

Go read it everyone!  DO IT! It's disgusting. And after you read the 83 pages Of garbage, just remember this. They all know each other. and it's musical chairs at the top!

Message 25 of 40
latest reply

I am letting everything expire over on Etsy. Between the forum change, the glitches and the fees; its died over there for me.

I had a healthy store that was growing there for the last year but took a dive after the fee hike and then the finally nail was the forum change.

Now when I sell something, the fees eat up all my profits that right now I'm giving away my items at this point.

I don't have a store here but once did and not sure if I'll have another store. I'm putting as much as I can on here and see what happens.

Message 26 of 40
latest reply

@drusalina wrote:

One poster on  Etsy wrote: "If you have an Etsy account go to your finance page and turn off Auto Billing.  They cannot by law charge your account without your permission. "

Will have to remember this when eBay goes to total managed payments.  I think that eBay will further shoot themselves in the foot, if they don't allow buyers to use Pay Pal.  

There are probably many betsy sellers who don't know this has happened yet. Many of them don't use the betsy forums. They are artisans, crafters, quietly doing their thing and looking up recent activity (money-wise) isn't all that easy on betsy. I'm sure the same thing would happen if this occurred on eBay. It would be some time before a lot of the small sellers and casual sellers would realize something was amiss.

Message 27 of 40
latest reply

@grasshopperx wrote:

Go read it everyone!  DO IT! It's disgusting. And after you read the 83 pages Of garbage, just remember this. They all know each other. and it's musical chairs at the top!

Yes, THIS, exactly.

Message 28 of 40
latest reply

@conniedecember wrote:
Thank you so much for this very informative information

You're welcome!

Message 29 of 40
latest reply

so glad I closed my store there when they brought in etsy payments