cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scamming seller used fake tracking number, Paypal closed in their favor

I bought a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 for $700. The seller didn't post any shipping information to eBay, but after a few days I get a notification saying tracking information had been uploaded to Paypal. I found this strange, since I had never ever seen anything like that before.

Naturally I was surprised when I checked the tracking info it said it had been "delivered" 2 days earlier, since I know I never received it.

I called FedEx and sure enough, that tracking number did NOT match any package sent to my address.

I called Paypal right away to let them know about this and open a case. They assured me not to worry and that they would give the seller 3 days to prove delivery otherwise it would be closed in my favor.

The next day, I was stunned to see an email from Paypal saying they had closed the case in the sellers favor.

I called and spent 30 minutes on the phone with FedEx explaining this to them and desperately asking them to help. A nice lady on the other end took the time to send me an email showing the address that tracking number was actually delivered to, and I called Paypal and provided them with this information for the "appeal".

Again, I was assured "not to worry", but the people at Paypal seem completely incompetent and I am very nervous & worried that somehow they will overlook the fact that this is a scam and it was indeed NOT delivered to me but sent to some other address.

Another strange thing about it is that the name on the package said "To the realtor of" and then the other address. (It was an address in my city, state and zip, but not the same street and not the same street numbers).

This purchase was made with Paypal credit, tho I'm not sure that makes any difference, as I am sure if this is closed in the sellers favor he will have successfully scammed me out of $700.

Is there anything more I can do at this point other than wait and just HOPE that Paypal isn't completely incompetent in this matter??

I really cannot for the life of me understand how Paypal could allow such scams to take place. It would be SO INCREDIBLY EASY for them to check with the shipping companies on these tracking numbers when a case is opened but they seem completely unwilling to do so, and it seems the scammers know it and are willing to exploit it...

This scamming seller belongs in prison! Smiley Mad Smiley Sad

Any help would be greatly appreciated, please do not comment with useless remarks like "this is why you should never buy or sell stuff on ebay!" or etc.

Message 1 of 59
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@missjen831

To everyone who has been following this thread, I received this today:

View Best Answer in original post

Message 43 of 59
latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

I believe PP has their own forums, so you might get some information there.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 2 of 59
latest reply

@chrysylys wrote:

Yep they have their own forums, but they are never used and empty. So I figured I'd come here since hundreds if not thousands of people are reading here constantly.

Message 3 of 59
latest reply

Something is definitely a bit "off" about that seller because I am noticing they sold 2 of these laptops in the listing you bought yours from on April 2 and then on April 11 they sold 2 more of these, yet their description seems to indicate something about they just bought 1 of these so I wonder how they ended up selling 4 of them?

@jonathankirkland... I'm sending you a private message so watch for it as I didn't want to post this info in this thread.

Message 4 of 59
latest reply

@jonathankirkland wrote:

I bought a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 for $700. The seller didn't post any shipping information to eBay, but after a few days I get a notification saying tracking information had been uploaded to Paypal. I found this strange, since I had never ever seen anything like that before.

Naturally I was surprised when I checked the tracking info it said it had been "delivered" 2 days earlier, since I know I never received it.

I called FedEx and sure enough, that tracking number did NOT match any package sent to my address.

I called Paypal right away to let them know about this and open a case. They assured me not to worry and that they would give the seller 3 days to prove delivery otherwise it would be closed in my favor.

The next day, I was stunned to see an email from Paypal saying they had closed the case in the sellers favor.

I called and spent 30 minutes on the phone with FedEx explaining this to them and desperately asking them to help. A nice lady on the other end took the time to send me an email showing the address that tracking number was actually delivered to, and I called Paypal and provided them with this information for the "appeal".

Again, I was assured "not to worry", but the people at Paypal seem completely incompetent and I am very nervous & worried that somehow they will overlook the fact that this is a scam and it was indeed NOT delivered to me but sent to some other address.

Another strange thing about it is that the name on the package said "To the realtor of" and then the other address. (It was an address in my city, state and zip, but not the same street and not the same street numbers).

This purchase was made with Paypal credit, tho I'm not sure that makes any difference, as I am sure if this is closed in the sellers favor he will have successfully scammed me out of $700.

Is there anything more I can do at this point other than wait and just HOPE that Paypal isn't completely incompetent in this matter??

I really cannot for the life of me understand how Paypal could allow such scams to take place. It would be SO INCREDIBLY EASY for them to check with the shipping companies on these tracking numbers when a case is opened but they seem completely unwilling to do so, and it seems the scammers know it and are willing to exploit it...

Any help would be greatly appreciated, please do not comment with useless remarks like "this is why you should never buy or sell stuff on ebay!" or etc.

Paypal credit is when they advance you the money and you pay back a minimum amount each month so, yes you would have to pay it back if you lose.  It works like a credit card but I do not think you can file a chargeback with them.  But you can ask.

This seems to be a scam I have seen here before where a seller sends something to a fake address with zip code in a buyers home town and then uploads tracking to prove it was sent.

But doesn't it have to be your actual street address.  Just repeatedly point out to paypal that this was sent to someone else, not you as this is not the street address on your paypal account and never has been.  Too bad it was not $50 more for signature confirmation.

You need to ask for a supervisor and just keep going up the paypal food chain until you can make someone understand this was a scam.  What does his feedback look like?

Message 5 of 59
latest reply

@jonathankirkland wrote:

@chrysylys wrote:

Yep they have their own forums, but they are never used and empty. So I figured I'd come here since hundreds if not thousands of people are reading here constantly.

Lol, there are 932 people online right now there...and 5314 here.

I have posed there, and there are actually people who do post there and help others. I wouldn't call it "never used" or "empty."

https://bio.link/langs
Message 6 of 59
latest reply

@jonathankirkland

Was the parcel shipped 'Fed Ex Smart Post' ?

If so, there will be two tracking numbers:

One will be USPS, where a Seller may drop it off,

and where by it gets delivered {USPS}.

The other is Fed Ex:

They take it from the Seller or USPS.

They transport the major distance.

Fed Ex thens hands it off to USPS to deliver.

Find both numbers in your 'purchased' item page.

If you give Fed Ex the USPS number, there'll be no record.

If you give USPS the Fed Ex number, likewise.

Try entering the number Fed Ex said was not in their system-

into www.usps.com track your package.

Message 7 of 59
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@jonathankirkland wrote:

Paypal credit is when they advance you the money and you pay back a minimum amount each month so, yes you would have to pay it back if you lose.  It works like a credit card but I do not think you can file a chargeback with them.  But you can ask.

This seems to be a scam I have seen here before where a seller sends something to a fake address with zip code in a buyers home town and then uploads tracking to prove it was sent.

But doesn't it have to be your actual street address.  Just repeatedly point out to paypal that this was sent to someone else, not you as this is not the street address on your paypal account and never has been.  Too bad it was not $50 more for signature confirmation.

You need to ask for a supervisor and just keep going up the paypal food chain until you can make someone understand this was a scam.  What does his feedback look like?

It was a new seller, but that didn't even bother me before because I've always had confidence in the MBG and didn't even think it was possible to be scammed as a buyer here.

Also the price was good for the item, but not suspiciously good where it was too good to be true.

Another thing is this guy has listed this item again and sold it again a few days ago, so I have a feeling he's going to try the same nonsense again.

I do keep pointing out the fact that it was not my actual address, but Paypal just keeps telling me "don't worry" and that they are going to look into it. I was starting to calm down until I got the mail the other day saying:

"We have received a response from the merchant and we've also reviewed all the details of your case. Based on the merchant’s response and the information we have to date, we have to deny your case. This decision was made because we received shipment tracking from the merchant confirming that the merchandise was delivered."

This just makes me feel very nervous now on the appeal that they will manage to screw it up and I will be scammed out of $700. Really not sure how to proceed here.....

Message 8 of 59
latest reply

@genv wrote:

@jonathankirkland

Was the parcel shipped 'Fed Ex Smart Post' ?

If so, there will be two tracking numbers:

One will be USPS, where a Seller may drop it off,

and where by it gets delivered {USPS}.

The other is Fed Ex:

They take it from the Seller or USPS.

They transport the major distance.

Fed Ex thens hands it off to USPS to deliver.

Find both numbers in your 'purchased' item page.

If you give Fed Ex the USPS number, there'll be no record.

If you give USPS the Fed Ex number, likewise.

Try entering the number Fed Ex said was not in their system-

into www.usps.com track your package.

No idea what you're talking about. Please re-read the OP.

Message 9 of 59
latest reply

To stop all of this nonsense, if you payed through credit card issue a chargeback.

Create an entropay account to issue instant chargebacks in the future.

Message 10 of 59
latest reply

@meoxcross wrote:

To stop all of this nonsense, if you payed through credit card issue a chargeback.

It was not a "credit card" it was "Paypal credit" -- completely different.

Message 11 of 59
latest reply

@jonathankirkland

I would go to the address they give you and see if they have what was delivered.

Explain what's going on and see if they can help you.

If you can get it, file a INAD claim.

Have a great day
Message 12 of 59
latest reply

@meoxcross wrote:

OP stated he paid with PP credit

Message 13 of 59
latest reply

I have a question for every experienced Ebayer here--Since Fed Ex gave him the address of where his package was delivered--could he contact person/business and see if he could get the package?

If he has the package, he could contact the police--which a police report helps when filing a case

-OR-

If he has the package, couldn't he open a case with Ebay, as item not as described, then the seller would have to provide him with a lable and he could return whatever was sent.

I know this may seem a bit far fetched-but could it work to help him?

--Please don't shoot the messenger--
Message 14 of 59
latest reply

@jonathankirkland wrote:

I do keep pointing out the fact that it was not my actual address, but Paypal just keeps telling me "don't worry" and that they are going to look into it. I was starting to calm down until I got the mail the other day saying:

"We have received a response from the merchant and we've also reviewed all the details of your case. Based on the merchant’s response and the information we have to date, we have to deny your case. This decision was made because we received shipment tracking from the merchant confirming that the merchandise was delivered."

This just makes me feel very nervous now on the appeal that they will manage to screw it up and I will be scammed out of $700. Really not sure how to proceed here.....

I've had a few situations similar with PP, but won on appeal. I actually had the CS say he couldn't believe they ruled against me in the 1st place. If u lose ur appeal, which i don't see happening, according to the info u supplied, call PP credit or read over their policy.

Wishing you success!!

Message 15 of 59
latest reply