cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammers

Just sold a $820  iPhone 15 to a buyer who's account was created on the day the item is sold. They have zero feedback of course and I'm a little apprehensive about shipping... 😬 Any thoughts? 

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

Scammers

Your first mistake is listing this without returns.  This makes it much easier to get taken advantage of.

So its a target as a high priced item and yeah, its very likely going to get scammed out of you some way.

Its up to you if you want to cancel the sale, but it may count against you.

My spidey senses would be active for sure.  But I'm not you.  Just be prepared if you follow through with it.  Where is the buyer located?

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 2 of 48
latest reply

Scammers

Iphones and electronics are high scam items. (Personally, I wouldn't consider selling them here!)

I do understand your concern but I also have a concern. 

Even if the buyer is legit, what if the buyer were to file a NAD claim alleging damage? You'll be on the hook for the return shipping and refund and even if you wanted to argue your case, how do you prove that the item is "new and unused?" 

Your listing doesn't show any pictures of the actual item or its condition. The stock images aren't going to help your case. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 48
latest reply

Scammers

Any chance it might be a "freight forward"purchase? Google the address to see where it's going.

I always wonder why a buyer not just go into a store and buy a phone.

I guess it was a good price for the buyer? If it wasn't...I would be a little apprehensive. I assume it was a great deal for the buyer and they saved a lot of money.

I would do a (written not digital)signature required to received it.

You sold it. Not much you can do now except mail it.

Message 4 of 48
latest reply

Scammers

You look like an experienced eBay member.

What I see is your using what looks like catalog photos. Why?

buyer who's account was created on the day the item is sold. If I was a better, I would bet everything I had that the buyer wins, get the phone and their money back. 

Expensive cell phones need to be pick-up only transactions along with many other targeted scammers categories. 

Message 5 of 48
latest reply

Scammers

If it's a pick-up does the seller wait around until the buyer has the phone all set up and working? If not could they later still try to scam by saying it's defective?

Message 6 of 48
latest reply

Scammers

Is it walking like a duck and talking like a duck? I guess it depends on what your eyes are seeing and your ears are hearing.

If you were to read down a few hundred posts here, you will see a lot of seller complaints about phones, cameras, laptops, and other highly-scammed electronics that are at the top of the list of scammed items.

First of all, don't sell or ship things like your iPhone here or anywhere online, unless you are willing to accept the loss of the item AND the double insult of the loss of your payment for it on a scam.

If I were in your shoes, I would cancel the order due to "out of stock" if you can't legitimately say and use "problem with buyer's address" as the reason to cancel. Since you have a lot of feedbacks, a demerit for cancelling the order MIGHT not affect your eBay performance metrics much. But do the math and make the value judgment.

Ebay, and nearly all online venues, is not the place to be exposing yourself as a scam magnet. The concerns you mentioned of the "buyer" certainly sets off a loud alarm bell in my mind.

Cheers, Duffy

Message 7 of 48
latest reply

Scammers

@gator08041971 wrote:

Your first mistake is listing this without returns.  This makes it much easier to get taken advantage of.

So its a target as a high priced item and yeah, its very likely going to get scammed out of you some way.

Its up to you if you want to cancel the sale, but it may count against you.

My spidey senses would be active for sure.  But I'm not you.  Just be prepared if you follow through with it.  Where is the buyer located?

To be fair, if the buyer has larceny in their heart, they'll scam you. Having a no return policy won't make a difference. They'll just go to a false INAD and send back a rock. 

Message 8 of 48
latest reply

Scammers

They have zero feedback of course and I'm a little apprehensive about shipping... 

@jht.enterprises 

If you have been paid, eBay expects you to ship.  Since your buyer has ZERO feedback, use this link to see their country of registration: 

https://pages.ebay.com/services/forum/feedback-login.html

If the ship to address is in Delaware, Miami/Dade FL, or Oregon, it is likely a freight forwarder.  Though IPhone buyer scams are prolific with buyers that use these reshipper services, it may indeed be your 'saving grace' should the transaction "go south" and  an eBay claim is filed. 

Buyers that use Freight Forwarders, are not supposed to be able to file eBay claims under the Money Back Guarantee.  However, eBay allows them to do it anyway and will proceed as if it is a normal sale.  IT WILL BE UP TO YOU TO CONTACT EBAY (Use a social media portal, not the regular Customer Service you get via chat or call back) to inform eBay of the Freight Forwarder issue.   IF YOU ARE PREPARED, and know where to go should a SNAD claim be made, you may have the case dismissed in your favor before you even have to fork over a return label, and then become the victim of the "fake tracking return scam" that usually ensues. 

So basically, you might be better off sending it to a Freight Forwarder, so long as you remain proactive.  In this instance it has likely become safer than a domestic sale...LOL.  

Message 9 of 48
latest reply

Scammers

Hope that it is going to a freight forwarder and then overseas.

The Money Back Guarantee for delivery does not apply once the purchase reaches the US address of the forwarder.

The forwarder makes sure that import fees are paid before re-shipping, obviating the "customs delay" scam.

And even with a No Returns policy,  the seller can demand the return of the disputed product before refunding.

Although the seller will be providing a Return Shipping Label, the address on that label is the US-based forwarder. The overseas buyer is on their own getting the phone (or something) back to the forwarder and persuading/paying them to send it back to the seller. Before eBay's deadline.

This doesn't cover all problems, but those are the ones that face selling internationally.

Most US sellers don't realize that only USPS mailboxes are safer than freight forwarders.

Message 10 of 48
latest reply

Scammers

My thoughts are that your apprehension is justified.

Message 11 of 48
latest reply

Scammers

Address is Fontana, CA

Message 12 of 48
latest reply

Scammers

I also have not purchased shipping label yet. Leaning toward canceling the iPhone order... 

Message 13 of 48
latest reply

Scammers

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I think I'm just going to cancel and select out of stock like you said 👍

Message 14 of 48
latest reply

Scammers

Since most carriers will give this phone for Free, why would anyone 'buy it'?? 

Message 15 of 48
latest reply