cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammer potentially tried tricking me twice.

I just had an odd experience with a scammer. I'm currently using my alternate account to sell personal items as I am trying to raise money for college, so this account is fairly new without much feedback.

I recently listed my old laptop as an auction with a BIN of $450. The next day a guy tried pulling the classic "send me your email" scam and even "offered" to send me $590 as he wanted it shipped to Nigeria. What I found most odd about this is that I was being scammed by an account with around 800 positive feedback since 2003. Just to be 100% sure, I sent him my email and sure enough I received a fake message from PayPal telling me I got paid. So obviously I told him off said that if he did not pay the BIN price or let me send him an invoice that I would know for sure he is a scammer and report him. He responded acting like he did nothing wrong and I went to have dinner.

Not an hour later someone actually bought my laptop. Except it wasn't from the original guy, it was someone else. I quickly found out something was wrong here as the individual had not paid me immediately and I saw that his account was only a week old. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and waited a couple of days to see if he would fulfill his payment. Unfortunately, he just cancelled it today. Now I'm led to believe that either it was a coincidence that both of these guys tried scamming me an hour apart or if they're actually the same person. The only problem is that they both have different names and locations, but my theory is that this guy forgot he was scamming me on his good account and not his alternate account for scamming. Perhaps he believed​ I would send the item before receiving a payment confirmation confirmation or just ruined my listing out of spite.

How should I report this scam to eBay? Thankfully the forums have a lot of information and experiences working against these sleazy guys.

Message 1 of 1
latest reply
0 REPLIES 0