cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scammed By Buyer

Sold my 1200 dollar computer for 400 dollars as it was a few years old and pre owned, I figured 33% of the value that's not bad. After the deal was done I ended up with 330 dollars because of shipping and taxes. This wasn't great but I thought whatever you know. Then once the buyer received the product they claimed a fradulant item not as described. Now I used a stock photo on a pre owned item. I'm new to this okay please cut me some slack. The phone app ASKED me if I wanted to use a recommended picture. I think if you're going to have a picture policy that you can't use stock photos on pre owned items then don't ask customers to use stock photos at all for pre owned items. Anyways the guy claimed a refund when I had a no return policy. I was told not to worry they're gonna get a return shipping label from him and then I can inspect the item to see if it's damaged whatever. So I'm told the case is on hold until March 28th, I wait for March 28th and then I'm told I lost the case, the buyer keeps the item and I lose all the money and now I owe ebay 120 dollars for shipping and taxes. I paid taxes and shipping to give someone my 1200 dollar computer for free because I used a stock photo. I'm currently in a fight with support because I was given wrong information with how to proceed. I'm supposed to move into a new apartment and get a new job and now they're gonna charge me 120 dollars and really mess up my life. I can't even take my bank account off of here and support has nothing to protect me against this kind of thing.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Scammed By Buyer

Did you choose (respond) what was to be done on the 'return case'?

You either click 'refund' or 'send buyer question' or 'return for refund' (which is it was opened as a Not As Described, then you pay for that label); you have a certain date to do that (usually 2-3 days to 'respond'. 

If you didn't respond, buyer can 'escalate' and then eBay will close in buyers favor. 

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Scammed By Buyer

@stainlessenginecovers  gives good advice.

Given the $ value and impact to you I would have:

a) Issued a refund, requesting return, paying for a return shipping label

b) Taken actual photos of the item including showing it running, all accessories, etc.

c) Relisted the item with a higher price, perhaps even $600 to recover the loss, leaving a little padding to discount an offer, etc. 

Even if you pay $30 for a return label you at least get the item back.

There is a strange truth to the advice: If it doesnt sell, raise the price.

Sorry for your headache. Best Wishes.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Scammed By Buyer

they claimed a fradulant item not as described

You admit your picture did not accurately represent the item, so what specifically was "fraudulent" about the buyer's claim?

I'm new to this okay please cut me some slack

What would be the point of us cutting you some slack? To make you feel better?

I was told not to worry they're gonna get a return shipping label

That only happens if you proactively accept the dispute and issue the shipping label in a timely manner. And you have to buy the label yourself; eBay does not give them out for free.

Anyways the guy claimed a refund when I had a no return policy

He did not claim a refund, he claimed "not as described". What good would eBay be if it allowed a seller to list a computer and then ship a phone book instead?

The phone app ASKED me if I wanted to use a recommended picture

It is your job as a seller to decide whether to accept a recommendation or not. eBay has no idea if the stock photo accurately represents your item. That is why they ASKED you and did not TELL you.

to give someone my 1200 dollar computer for free

You sold it for $400, so it was a $400 computer not a $1200 computer.

support has nothing to protect me against this kind of thing

No, there is no protection from disputes.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Scammed By Buyer

eBay policy trumps a seller’s terms, so even though you opted for No Returns, that carries no weight in a Not As Described case.

When using stock photos, there is no way for a buyer to evaluate condition on a used item. The buyer will expect to receive the item as depicted. If you showed a pristine computer, but then delivered one not matching the photos, then a Not As Described case is not a far-fetched response by a buyer. Did you describe any signs of use in the listing? Did the buyer request a return prior to opening the case?

eBay policy requires that all the sections in a listing must be consistent. If you show a pristine computer in the photos, but then describe a used item in the description, that is grounds for a Not As Described case.

It may seem like a small infraction to you to have incorrectly used stock photos on a used item, but the reality is that by doing so, you led yourself right into a serious problem where a buyer could claim fraud.

I am sorry to say it appears that you were unprepared for using eBay to sell a valuable item. The mistakes you made place the responsibility on your shoulders for this transaction to have ended badly.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Scammed By Buyer

Posted earlier today on this forum, READ THIS:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/iPhone-return-never-actually-returned/m-p/33654461#M2187653

Good Luck, Duffy

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Scammed By Buyer

It would have been better to sell a computer to a friend, family relative member or friends of past employment. 

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Scammed By Buyer

Call your bank and put a stop on any transactions concerning Ebay.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Scammed By Buyer

@chris13 wrote:

@stainlessenginecovers  gives good advice.

Given the $ value and impact to you I would have:

a) Issued a refund, requesting return, paying for a return shipping label

If you want an item returned, issuing a refund would be the last step.

Have a great day
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Scammed By Buyer

Did you accept the return and provide a shipping label?

Why was the case put on hold, did you get Ebay involved?

Any time you get Ebay involved, you're going to loose.

Have a great day
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Scammed By Buyer

@shholl_56 wrote:

So I'm told the case is on hold until March 28th,

I wait for March 28th and then I'm told I lost the case,

the buyer keeps the item, and now I owe ebay 120 dollars 

When the request was escalated and put on hold @shholl_56 eBay required action from you

-- to refund no with return needed, or

-- to provide a way for the buyer to return the item.

These 2 options are well-known, the purpose of the 5-day hold.

And when the seller has done neither at the end of the hold, eBay forces a refund, no return needed. Plus, the false positive feedback you've left for buyers may be another reason why eBay does not want you as a seller.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Scammed By Buyer

@lugernutp-08 wrote:

Call your bank and put a stop on any transactions concerning Ebay.

That wont stop them from getting their money.

Have a great day
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Scammed By Buyer

Unfortunately this type of thing often happens to new sellers who list high value and high target items that scammers tend to go after, especially electronics like cell phones and computers. I won't dwell on water under the bridge as others have already done that. You are in Canada and I don't know where the buyer was located but at this point about all you can do is file a case with the buyers local police department. That may or may not have any effect depending on where the buyer was located but if they have a history of complaints against this individual they may investigate further. 

I am sorry you are in this situation. As for the battle with support at the present time eBay customer support is basically useless and often gives out bad or incorrect advice simply to get you off the phone. Not sure how or why you owe eBay $120 not enough detail on that and I cannot see the listing for the item you sold.  

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Scammed By Buyer

I dont think a six year old used computer is worth $1200..maaybe when it was new six years ago.Its in the fb the op left for the buyer.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Scammed By Buyer

I dont think a six year old used computer is worth $1200..maaybe when it was new six years ago.Its in the fb the op left for the buyer.

I would agree but I believe she sold it for $400 which may or may not be all that bad since I cannot see either the item or the feedback. 

Message 15 of 17
latest reply