cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saw a tv ad on NBC's The Voice last night

This is the first ad I've seen on a major network, and I think this show gets a lot of viewers.  It had to cost a fortune.   I love that "color" ad.  

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

I saw one watching Kevin Saves the World on Demand. I was impressed. Nice commercial. Thanks eBay for finally doing something positive for sellers. I am actually going to accept their five dollar store promotion. 

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

Thanks for sharing that you saw the ad.

No offense to you, but I don't care for that ad.  I think it diminishes Ebay to just another website to buy fashion and Ebay is so much more than that.

It pushes the cart, and the cart is problematic.

It shows a woman scrolling for a purse she saw, and for shoes.  She just scrolls through pictures and hits one to buy.  Done.

Buyers can find problems post sale if they just buy by pictures.  

Just some thoughts.

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

They could have given out 3M free listings for cost of the ad...
Message 4 of 28
latest reply

@nawlinsron2 wrote:

Ebay already has one BILLION listings. They don't need any more.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 5 of 28
latest reply

Some of us in niche categories would appreciate free listings...the other billion is a non-issue....except for you.
Message 6 of 28
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

Thanks for sharing that you saw the ad.

No offense to you, but I don't care for that ad.  I think it diminishes Ebay to just another website to buy fashion and Ebay is so much more than that.

It pushes the cart, and the cart is problematic.

It shows a woman scrolling for a purse she saw, and for shoes.  She just scrolls through pictures and hits one to buy.  Done.

Buyers can find problems post sale if they just buy by pictures.  

Just some thoughts.

I believe the ad has the same attributes of a black hole.  Sux

Amazon has started rerunning their ad campaign from earlier this year and they make it very clear that you are ordering from Amazon, and not even showing you what they ordered.  What makes the ads brilliant is that the item is unusual, and bought with out of the box thinking.  And the commercials stir an emotion, I laugh at the happy baby carrier for the dog and tear up at lion dog.

But ebay just shows that you can buy what everyone else has and oh look, it was on ebay.  Nothing new and original, no out of the box thinking, nope, just buying what everyone else has, because after all, we are all sheep to ebay.

(*Bleep*)
Message 7 of 28
latest reply

@nawlinsron2 wrote:

3M listings doesn't do anyone any good without any buyers...

Glad to see there was an ad.  I've seen a few more recently, which is better than none.  But I agree whole heartedly with retrose, they need a serious ad campaign in order to stir up enough buyers to recreate the sight.  Amazons ads are funny, cute and/or memorable.  My favorite is the mini horse & the dog lion one.  And if you know what I'm referring to, their marketing dept has certainly done it's job, right?

Remember when ebay was young, they had ad after ad on tv.  MOST people watch tv, people REMEMBER things by association.  I don't even have to Google to know that in the beginning, everyone bought 'IT' on eBay.  Sometimes, the basics just work.  They need a slogan, and to drop some serious bucks into tv advertising, IMO.

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

Can you please share details of the promo?
Message 9 of 28
latest reply

Lowballers flock to ebay...why not advertise the 2nd largest collection of Chinese junk on the web???...I assume Alibaba is in 1st place.
Message 10 of 28
latest reply

They have some great commercials.  Tug at your heart strings, unusual, memorable, classic.

While the baby lion is cute, I loved the small pony one and the one with the two religious leaders who both bought each other knee pads!

And there was one with a small dog whose owner buys him a carrier!

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

The ads really remind me of old Pacific Bell ads from the late 60's and early 70's, very tug at your heart strings. I LOVE the lion dog and the baby. EBay can afford any high priced ad agency they want, they just need to do it. I could write better ad copy than whoever is doing it. Just about any of us here could...

How about...Grandma's giving away some old things in the attic. G-kids helping. Finds her old trousseau, wedding gown, and gloves, hat, maybe more. Sheds a few tears, then they all troupe down to lunch.

Older girl, maybe 11 or 12, thinking of the items, gets on (yea I know 18 and over) with her Mom, ok, eBay and looks for something like what was destroyed in the heat of the attic.

Find some gloves, or the hat, buys it....voila...happy and tearful (again) G-ma. I like it. And maybe, if a long ad, show the girl about 10 years later wearing the hat, or gloves at her wedding. I really like that.
Message 12 of 28
latest reply

@tamaralea wrote:

This is the first ad I've seen on a major network, and I think this show gets a lot of viewers.  It had to cost a fortune.   I love that "color" ad.  

Sounds like they're already spending the money they're going to make on next year's USPS' fee increases. 

Where are the ads touting vintage?

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 13 of 28
latest reply

@moondogblues wrote:
The ads really remind me of old Pacific Bell ads from the late 60's and early 70's, very tug at your heart strings. I LOVE the lion dog and the baby. EBay can afford any high priced ad agency they want, they just need to do it. I could write better ad copy than whoever is doing it. Just about any of us here could...

How about...Grandma's giving away some old things in the attic. G-kids helping. Finds her old trousseau, wedding gown, and gloves, hat, maybe more. Sheds a few tears, then they all troupe down to lunch.

Older girl, maybe 11 or 12, thinking of the items, gets on (yea I know 18 and over) with her Mom, ok, eBay and looks for something like what was destroyed in the heat of the attic.

Find some gloves, or the hat, buys it....voila...happy and tearful (again) G-ma. I like it. And maybe, if a long ad, show the girl about 10 years later wearing the hat, or gloves at her wedding. I really like that.

Or make an obvious comedy ad showing a neighbor feud of who's decorating the best yard and one pulling up in their driveway with packages they bought new at the store and another getting twice as much stuff delivered by a USPS semi, over and over and then the light up with a yard that would make Chevy Chase envious with maybe the ebay logo sticking out of Santa's bag on the roof or on the headstones depending on the season.

Or another comedy ad that shows family members at the reading of a will and the Scrooge like member gets something that some meek nerd wants and had their heart set on and the nerd looks on ebay and buys an item just like it, and it can be as weird as allowed, and sits happily in their home with their now prized posession.

Or in the wake of the multiple disasters that are destroying homes and posessions across the country, a commercial could show a phone call between two family members with one telling the other that everything was destroyed, and the other thinking about an heirloom item over the years that they gave that member and knows it's gone now, so they hit up ebay and buy another and ship it to them.  If you want to make it heartwarming, they could deliver it to a hotel, if you want to show hope, have it delivered to a construction site of the new house.

I love religious kneepads ad.  I'm not so fond of the horse ad because I just wonder who is cleaning up the poo that horse leaves all ovr the house.

(*Bleep*)
Message 14 of 28
latest reply

@nawlinsron2 wrote:

ebay should advertise more! eBay should advertise less! 

ebay should give more free listings! eBay should stop giving free listings! 

ebay should promote auctions more! eBay should promote fixed price more! 

ebay should require feedback! eBay should do away with feedback! 

ebay should not let people {fill in blank}! eBay should stop telling me I can't {fill in blank}!

Message 15 of 28
latest reply