cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same zip code RETURN scam

New eBay buyer purchased an Intel 8th Gen i7-8700 processor for $323.99 from my eBay store on Mar 31, 2018. Shipped to his confirmed PayPal/eBay address.

A couple hours after delivery, the buyer opened a “Defective/Not working” return request stating that the product is faulty which was a surprise since an Intel CPU is the less likely component to fail in a computer. Nonetheless, I tried to look at this objectively and tried communicating with the buyer couple of times in the return request, no reply from the buyer. I accepted the return and I provided a free prepaid label to the buyer thinking that it will solve all the issues.

On the very last day to return the CPU, the buyer uploaded an invalid tracking # from Hong Kong to the return request. He did not use my prepaid return label.  I called eBay stating that the buyer shipped the product to a different address after delivery and that he voided his Buyer’s Protection in doing so. The CS agreed with me and closed the case in my favor and released the funds. To my surprise, couple of days later, the buyer contacted eBay to dispute the decision and got his money back by providing another tracking number showing delivery.

I was so surprised because I didn’t get any package from Hong Kong. So, I gave USPS a call regarding this package. The USPS CS rep asked for my name/address and was able to quickly find out where the package was delivered to. The package was addressed a Pizza store 26 streets away from my home with the same zip code. I quickly went to the Pizza store asking if they got any package from Hong Kong. I found out the tracking number is correct, but the address and recipient are wrong.

At this point, I knew I am being scammed by this buyer. I am currently filling all the reports I can to bring some light to this scammer and fight for my money. I just checked this buyer account and found out he purchased a similar CPU from another seller the very same day he got his refund back, which I believe will end up like me since this is not a legitimate buyer, but scammer.

Any input/help will be appreacited greatly. Thanks

Message 1 of 192
latest reply
191 REPLIES 191

@emerald40 wrote:

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@missjen831 wrote:

@retrose1 wrote:

That block actually doesn’t work the way you and many others think it does because PayPal automatically converts the buyers payment to US funds. It doesn’t stop international buyers from making payment.

There are two blocks in the pal to block International buyers and I mentioned both of them....NonUS accounts and currancies you do not hold.

And neither works the way you think they work. They don’t stop international buyers from paying. The currencies block doesn’t stop these buyers from paying because PayPal coverts to US funds. It also doesn’t stop non-us residents from buying because they can buy without a PayPal account now. 

PayPal doesn't always automatically convert, but the buyer can. I purchase in Euros and GBP as well as other currencies all the time without PayPal doing anything.

Same here.  I just bought items from France and Germany.  They were in Euros.  When I purchased them paypal showed them in Euros as well.  Nothing was converted.

Actually....PayPal converted them to euros......that’s why your US account showed euros. PayPal converted your US funds to Euros. The seller wasn’t paid in US funds.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 136 of 192
latest reply

Not sure I am understanding.  The item showed in Euros.  I paid the equivalency in US dollars.  And then paypal converted it back to Euros to pay the seller?

Message 137 of 192
latest reply

Loading transaction details for eBay -  Payment

Message 138 of 192
latest reply

The way I understand it on the currency block is this. I only accept payment in US dollars, Therefore the buyers pays the conversion fees if they do not have a US Dollar account, it does not stop them from buying. If I were to accept say Euros, then when I withdraw the money to my bank I would be charged the fee. Kind of confusing and not really written anywhere easy to find. I need to look at the paypal community boards, for more clarification.

Message 139 of 192
latest reply

Well once eBay moves away from PayPal and over to Adyen as their payment processor, I doubt very much we'll be able to block ANYONE from buying anywhere in the world, whether we choose to ship there or not.

Seems like forced international shipping to me.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 140 of 192
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

And this bolsters my point that with incompetent ebay CS, I am so glad that I block reshippers.

The OP is filing mail fraud reports with the carrier in the US, but the buyer is in Hong Kong, so how will this even be effective.  Same with police reports.  Ditto small claims court.  IMO buyer is out of reach being from a foreign country.

No, really. 

Message 141 of 192
latest reply

Ha Ha Ayden, sure good luck with getting people away from using Pay-pal. Not a snowballs chance I would switch, nor have 2 services
Message 142 of 192
latest reply

@badrock wrote:
Ha Ha Ayden, sure good luck with getting people away from using Pay-pal. Not a snowballs chance I would switch, nor have 2 services

My understanding may be wrong but after 2023 PayPal will not be a payment option here anymore. As a buyer, I really hope not. I like PayPal, I have not had a negative experience with them as a buyer, ever, and I’ve used them since 2002 I think? I don’t want to use adyen. I use PayPal whenever possible. I have an iPhone and an Apple Watch and I don’t use Apple Pay. I am happy with PayPal. I don’t buy much here anymore but if PayPal goes away, so will I 😞

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 143 of 192
latest reply

Not a chance I will be forced to not accept pay-pal. No way, and not sure eBay will be legally able to do that if so well then goodbye.  I remember when pay pal started and eBay was trying to get us all to accept their service, Bill Pay I think it was. How did that work for you? 

Might be be a good time for Pay Pal to start their own selling site. I will start some listings on day one. 

Message 144 of 192
latest reply

@badrock wrote:

Not a chance I will be forced to not accept pay-pal. No way, and not sure eBay will be legally able to do that if so well then goodbye.  I remember when pay pal started and eBay was trying to get us all to accept their service, Bill Pay I think it was. How did that work for you? 

Might be be a good time for Pay Pal to start their own selling site. I will start some listings on day one. 

You will be still able to accept Paypal payments, along with a myriad of other payment funding sources. Legal or not ebay has decided to move in another direction with processing payments, so far this means, that through proposed amendments to the User Agreement, members will allow ebay to facilitate the acceptance of member and non-member payments to ITs approved payment processor, Adyen. Read more about IT here -     https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/eBay-to-Intermediate-Payments-on-its-Marketplace-Platfor...

IMO,  IT is a bad fiduciary move. I'm not on the BOD or stockholder anymore, but I will vote with my feet when nudged  into a situation I don't agree with.  

Smiley Wink I already have 1 foot out the door.

Message 145 of 192
latest reply

IT seems the link above has invalid parameters, funny IT was C&P directly from the Announcement page.  Check the announement page to read more about the move.  

Message 146 of 192
latest reply

Either way I believe it is going to be a tough sell to get people to switch from Pay-pal, honestly don't think it will happen. I also agree with 1 foot out the door. I have 100 listings on other sites right now and doing well will be moving more.  I use 5 other sites and quite happy.

Message 147 of 192
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stop.here.and.buy wrote:

New eBay buyer purchased an Intel 8th Gen i7-8700 processor for $323.99 from my eBay store on Mar 31, 2018. Shipped to his confirmed PayPal/eBay address.

A couple hours after delivery, the buyer opened a “Defective/Not working” return request stating that the product is faulty which was a surprise since an Intel CPU is the less likely component to fail in a computer. Nonetheless, I tried to look at this objectively and tried communicating with the buyer couple of times in the return request, no reply from the buyer. I accepted the return and I provided a free prepaid label to the buyer thinking that it will solve all the issues.

On the very last day to return the CPU, the buyer uploaded an invalid tracking # from Hong Kong to the return request. He did not use my prepaid return label.  I called eBay stating that the buyer shipped the product to a different address after delivery and that he voided his Buyer’s Protection in doing so. The CS agreed with me and closed the case in my favor and released the funds. To my surprise, couple of days later, the buyer contacted eBay to dispute the decision and got his money back by providing another tracking number showing delivery.

I was so surprised because I didn’t get any package from Hong Kong. So, I gave USPS a call regarding this package. The USPS CS rep asked for my name/address and was able to quickly find out where the package was delivered to. The package was addressed a Pizza store 26 streets away from my home with the same zip code. I quickly went to the Pizza store asking if they got any package from Hong Kong. I found out the tracking number is correct, but the address and recipient are wrong.

At this point, I knew I am being scammed by this buyer. I am currently filling all the reports I can to bring some light to this scammer and fight for my money. I just checked this buyer account and found out he purchased a similar CPU from another seller the very same day he got his refund back, which I believe will end up like me since this is not a legitimate buyer, but scammer.

Any input/help will be appreacited greatly. Thanks

Hi @stop.here.and.buy@, it looks like our Customer Service team is working with you on getting this resolved. If you have any questions or concerns with how this is being reviewed, please don't hesitate to @mention me and I will be happy to help!

Message 148 of 192
latest reply

@tev4all wrote:

IT seems the link above has invalid parameters, funny IT was C&P directly from the Announcement page.  Check the announcement page to read more about the move.  

That link was uploaded with a stray space character on the end. (If you delete the trailing space from the end of the URL showing on the error page you encountered, you should get to the right place after that.) Try this link instead: 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/eBay-to-Intermediate-Payments-on-its-Marketplace-Platfor...

It's formed using the little chain-link icon above the edit window, where you then paste in the link into the first field of the popup form. The second field populates automatically with the same thing, which is how it will show in the post (above), but you can replace that with a shorter piece of visible text instead, such as this.

Message 149 of 192
latest reply

If he used a reshipper that wasn't GSP,  you need to appeal.

Message 150 of 192
latest reply