cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same zip code RETURN scam

New eBay buyer purchased an Intel 8th Gen i7-8700 processor for $323.99 from my eBay store on Mar 31, 2018. Shipped to his confirmed PayPal/eBay address.

A couple hours after delivery, the buyer opened a “Defective/Not working” return request stating that the product is faulty which was a surprise since an Intel CPU is the less likely component to fail in a computer. Nonetheless, I tried to look at this objectively and tried communicating with the buyer couple of times in the return request, no reply from the buyer. I accepted the return and I provided a free prepaid label to the buyer thinking that it will solve all the issues.

On the very last day to return the CPU, the buyer uploaded an invalid tracking # from Hong Kong to the return request. He did not use my prepaid return label.  I called eBay stating that the buyer shipped the product to a different address after delivery and that he voided his Buyer’s Protection in doing so. The CS agreed with me and closed the case in my favor and released the funds. To my surprise, couple of days later, the buyer contacted eBay to dispute the decision and got his money back by providing another tracking number showing delivery.

I was so surprised because I didn’t get any package from Hong Kong. So, I gave USPS a call regarding this package. The USPS CS rep asked for my name/address and was able to quickly find out where the package was delivered to. The package was addressed a Pizza store 26 streets away from my home with the same zip code. I quickly went to the Pizza store asking if they got any package from Hong Kong. I found out the tracking number is correct, but the address and recipient are wrong.

At this point, I knew I am being scammed by this buyer. I am currently filling all the reports I can to bring some light to this scammer and fight for my money. I just checked this buyer account and found out he purchased a similar CPU from another seller the very same day he got his refund back, which I believe will end up like me since this is not a legitimate buyer, but scammer.

Any input/help will be appreacited greatly. Thanks

Message 1 of 192
latest reply
191 REPLIES 191

Re: Same zip code RETURN scam

Anyone else seeing a similarity between ebay policies and the conveniently changing notice of animal rights posted on the barn door in Animal Farm?

(*Bleep*)
Message 166 of 192
latest reply

No other site seems to feel the need to make so MANY changes SO often.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 167 of 192
latest reply

I don’t think any other site has secret unwritten policies and protections either.  I’ve yet to come across one that operates the way eBay does. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 168 of 192
latest reply

Yes, that why I said the buyer was a winner in the end. He got to keep the item for free since he most likely pay almost nothing for the return shipping from HK. Shipping stuff from HK or China to the U.S is almost none.

Even though he was unregistered/banned in that account. I am pretty sure he will be back with another fake account to commit the same scam and most likely someone will fall to that scam.

He tasted the flavor of victory by getting to keep the item for free. I'm pretty sure, this victory had made the scammer even more resolute to come back again with another account and continue performing scam at the expense of honest sellers.
Message 169 of 192
latest reply

Thank you so much for doing all the right things and putting in the effort to make another scam bite the dust. Truly your situation is encouraging to other sellers here who want to know that a case like this can have a positive outcome. Blessings to you, and may all your future sales be fruitful.

Message 170 of 192
latest reply

As long as the reshipper is allowed to let buyers use their address the scams will continue. True enforcement would be to close down all reshippers and the buyers can use ebays GSP program thats what it was designed for and if buyers don't like it they can close their accounts...

Message 171 of 192
latest reply

Oh, I believe with the sophisticated tech available now that a new account could be checked if they are the same user.  Most important is that there is now some radar on this person thanks to you! 

Message 172 of 192
latest reply

Great Idea Bubbleman!

Message 173 of 192
latest reply

Or, close down all reshippers from using Ebay purchases if they get enough complaints from users regarding these scams. Keep the one's who are in good standing with few complaints.

Message 174 of 192
latest reply

Have to agree that volitility and change are quite the thing here. But, then again, volitility and change happen very quickly all the time on the internet. It's somewhat like dealing with the stock market. LOL.

Message 175 of 192
latest reply

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

As long as the reshipper is allowed to let buyers use their address the scams will continue. True enforcement would be to close down all reshippers and the buyers can use ebays GSP program thats what it was designed for and if buyers don't like it they can close their accounts...

When GSP is used the buyer can still file a SNAD claim and return an item to a different address in the same zip code.

Message 176 of 192
latest reply

@stop.here.and.buy wrote:
 I also informed her I a did Postal Service Inspection Fraud report and got the case #, again she didn't want that report either, just Police Report.

US Postal Inspectors ARE the Police.  It's a Federal Police Agency.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 177 of 192
latest reply

The "secret" policies can actually help rather than hurt both buyers and sellers. There just cant be any blanket policies that will protect everyone in every situation because every situation can be different and needs to be investigated. I am just happy here that this case WAS investigated and made right in whatever way it could be, even though the scammer got the goods., This time perhaps, maybe not so much in the future we hope.

Message 178 of 192
latest reply

Nopers if you provide the label its going to come back to you. This whole problem was created by a ebay CS rep. the case was closed and then they let someone talk them into I used the wrong tracking number excuse. It should have remained closed and not reopened.... Had the buyer not liked that response they are more than welcome to file a chargeback,but ebay just payed the grease instead....

Message 179 of 192
latest reply

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

Nopers if you provide the label its going to come back to you. This whole problem was created by a ebay CS rep. the case was closed and then they let someone talk them into I used the wrong tracking number excuse. It should have remained closed and not reopened.... Had the buyer not liked that response they are more than welcome to file a chargeback,but ebay just payed the grease instead....

The OPs case was handled incorrectly by CS, no question.

Using GSP instead of a reshipper would not prevent the "same zip code" scam from occurring. A buyer can purchase their own return postage, they don't have to use a label that's provided to them by eBay or the seller.

Message 180 of 192
latest reply