Did you mean: 

Sales tax . . . the problem has begun

SCOTUS  has ruled 

the problems will be enormous 

Message 1 of 284
latest reply
283 REPLIES 283

I wanna know how the h-e-double hockey sticks we are supposed to figure all this out and implement it. Idiots... they [goverment, courts] never think in realistic practical terms.

Message 2 of 284
latest reply

Ebay should be able to provide a solution with some coding update addendum

Message 3 of 284
latest reply

This is something Paypal, Ebay and Adyen will have to address. There's no way individual sellers will be able to and it will cause a mass exodus if private sellers have to figure it out.

Message 4 of 284
latest reply

Ebay do the coding for us!? Ha! If we're lucky enough...kind of how they want us to 'mobile friendly' code check each listing individually. Wanted us to change HTTP to HTTPS mumbo jumbo thingy they wanted us to do a few months ago...remove our own active content..I'm sure the list will go on! Lol
Message 5 of 284
latest reply

The amount of sales tax codes is huge between states, counties and cities.

If they (i.e. politicians were smart) they would have make a flat 3-5% interstate federal sales tax and base distribution to the states on the companies doing business within them. 

But instead they will argue and fight as a ton of taxes will still not be collected because each state at least will have different requirements such as dollar amount sold into that state. And a bunch of "outlets" will allow it up the seller and that will be skirted also.

Message 6 of 284
latest reply

Does Amazon do this for their sellers?  It seems impossible for the majority of ebay small sellers.  Heck, many don't even collect it for their own states where required?

The argument that not collecting it wasn't fair to the B & M sellers didn't take into account that online sellers have to work in shipping in their prices.  Plus, don't B & M only charge sales tax for their location?  They don't collect depending on where the buyer lives.

Message 7 of 284
latest reply

I sure hope it doesn't come down to every seller filing 50 Sales Tax returns instead of one.

Message 8 of 284
latest reply

Sales tax codes are much more complicated then the state itself. 50? try over 10,000 different codes. Within my state alone, you have a state sales tax, county sales tax that some have and some don't and city sales tax. Within 10 miles of me, there are at least 5 different sales tax codes based on location, not to mention different codes on certain items and we have a sales tax discount for senior citizens.

Message 9 of 284
latest reply

Many sellers here on ebay sell on Amazon. How are the taxes collected on that venue? Who prepares the documentation? Which form will they use? Amazon has been collecting taxes here in WA state for some time now due to its local presence. They have the infrastructure to address the new tax law seamlessly. Does ebay?

Message 10 of 284
latest reply

I don't think I've been charged sales tax when I buy from third party sellers on Amazon? I could be wrong. 

Message 11 of 284
latest reply

You are right. Third party sellers on Amazon do not charge sales tax.

Message 12 of 284
latest reply

You could h a 've resided in 1 of the 5 states that do not collect sales tax on online purchases

Message 13 of 284
latest reply

I live in Massachusetts. We have a sales tax.

Message 14 of 284
latest reply

A asales tax for b&m stores in Mass. Or an online sales tax non-residents?

Message 15 of 284
latest reply