cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales decrease.

Hello

I dont know if i am in the right place but i have a problem that is bothering me for the last two months. My sales have droped insanely, from 40-45 sales in 60 days, down to 6. I havent sold a thing in more then 20 days now. Sales down 92% comparing with the same period last year. What's going on?

Am i missing something? I know that there are slow periods but this is insane, 92% down!!!! Please somebody help me, i am desperate.

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Sales decrease.

Apparently even eBay has noticed a decline in sales cuz I received two eBay bucks promotions in the same week with only a day apart in between them
Message 16 of 37
latest reply

@vintagemet wrote:

Hello

I dont know if i am in the right place but i have a problem that is bothering me for the last two months. My sales have droped insanely, from 40-45 sales in 60 days, down to 6. I havent sold a thing in more then 20 days now. Sales down 92% comparing with the same period last year. What's going on?

Am i missing something? I know that there are slow periods but this is insane, 92% down!!!! Please somebody help me, i am desperate.

There are a lot of sales and a lot of buyers here on eBay. Our challenge is that there are two kinds of shoppers who purchase from China direct.  There's those who are genuinely not intellectually aware enough to understand the impacts.  Then there's those who are so obtuse and have so much audacity that they will post about China direct purchases in the same thread as a small American business owner who is screaming from a hill top that they've lost their home and their ability to feed themselves and their families as a direct result of search manipulation and funneling of USD out of the hands of Main Street Americans.  I am overwhelmingly offended by those posters who have this, "I'm worried about me and not you" attitude, and the, "I only have X dollars so it makes sense I would shop there" to justify their disrespect and egocentric behavior.

Look around you, there's not a single eBay seller who isn't aware of the utter devastation going on, yet look at all of the posters (sellers, boardies and buyers alike) who have the nerve to come here saying, "I bought X product from China".

I remember when eBay first announced the invitation of Chinese manufacturers.  Those of us who understood the significance were in utter panic.  We tried to fight it because we understood the significance, unfortunately, we were out numbered by sellers who refused to acknowledge the impending threats to our survival which are now our reality, the majority of which are no longer still in business because they refused to heed the warnings.

I look forward to the day when our apathetic, LAZY culture finally gets it that in order to invoke change, you must do it by gathering in front of the Reflecting Pond and refusing to vacate until our demands for change is made...  Unfortunately, cultural complacency is equally as dangerous to our survivability as the greedy politicians who made and refuse to revoke the laws, and don't think for one moment that they aren't cheering at the apathy, complacency and lack of voice, because they depend on it.

If asked to march in D.C., I would go in a heartbeat.  Unfortunately, one voice doesn't have much of an impact without any influence.

If you knew people would be gathering in protest, would you join in the fight or would you sit passively behind your computer and post about your woes?

Message 17 of 37
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

Use more keywods. Add bike to all your titles and anything else a buyer would type when they search. The items you are selling (looking at completed listings) have not much demand. Most don't sell so you are not the only one. Not many use google when searching for used bike stuff on Ebay, they will go directly to Ebay to find your stuff. Google isn't that big of a deal. Don't listen to the naysayers here. Ebay is NOT hiding your items. That is just an excuse for those who cannot sell things because they are in a saturated market, overpriced for the market they are in, or they have restrictions set by Ebay for one problem or another. As far as your items most that have sold, have sold cheaper then you are asking, especially the Shimano Ultegra. Check completed items that you are selling for comparison. If you want to stay in competition and sell, you have to keep up with the other sellers.

Vintagemet:  I suggest you re-read this post again as this is the most helpful.  The posters that want to say eBay is hiding your items, or eBay only lets buyers buy from chosen big sellers or China sellers don't have a clue on reality.

Message 18 of 37
latest reply

Your Shimano ultegra CS-6700 11-28T is used and ships from Albania for $57. This same item is available new in the box from a USA seller for $62, and the seller has sold 122 of them.

You do not accept returns, but the USA seller has a 14 day return policy and offers a 5% discount for multiple purchases. If this one example is representative of your other listings, you simply may not be competitive any more.

Message 19 of 37
latest reply

20 days is NOT a long time....get panicky when you haven't sold anything in 60 days!!!

1) did you comparison price to see what competitors are charging?

2) is this the ONLY place you sell?  Maybe you should try other sites?

You may have to start going to your flea markets to sell if you want to sell faster.

@vintagemet wrote:

Hello

L. Wright, Chicago
Message 20 of 37
latest reply

You are right about this one. An US buyer should buy this item from them. Sometimes is just impossible to compete, thats a big company who buys thousands of pieces of one product and sell it on Ebay. In other hand i don't see the need of the 14days return policy, because if there is something wrong with my product i am bound by Ebay rules to accept return. I sell mainly vintage italian bike parts which are rare to find and a big company can't find them new or in big quantity, but those are not selling either.

Message 21 of 37
latest reply

I tryed some facebook selling groups but no luck. Anyway, i just sold one item today, after 23 days :))

Message 22 of 37
latest reply

I am very surprised that some sellers have made it this long, before they saw a huge drop in sales. It happened to us in 2014.  Most sellers and suppliers we know have had it happen to them as well, and already left. As soon as CASSINI finds you, your dust. Over, gonzo, what ever you want to call it. It's not coming back to normal people. We have to stop kidding ourselves. Wish it would, but this company will never be the same.

Message 23 of 37
latest reply

New sellers are posting fresh listings which generally get a boost in search that has nothing to do with ebay being "manipulative".  Even as a long time seller, the vast majority of my new listings get more traffic (and sales) than items I relist.    The exception is auction listings which rarely get much in the way of traffic or sales period.  Over my two accounts my normal sell thru rate for new listings is close to 25% - for relists 5%. 

Unfortunately for the past ten weeks - most of lmy listings have been relists since I have moved and been remodelling and haven't had the energy to devote to creating new listings.   Plus only about 20% of my inventory made the trip and I'm only relisting items as I unpack them. 

The OP is a niche seller - that can result in more sporadic sales than one who sells a wider variety of items. 

And on a side note there is a winter storm in the northeast which probably will result in a decline in sales for the next few days.  

Message 24 of 37
latest reply

Sales dropped here for me for about a week at the end last month but picked back up. I do sell on another site and have been there two or three years. Right now its atrociousthere. Sales are unbelievably at their lowest. Normal sales for me on that site are about 24 a month. Like here they dropped in the middle of January, but they have not recovered. I'm lucky if I'm getting 2 sales a week there. I have heard with the election and all it's putting a kink in retail. Don't know if that's true but ok. I'll go with that as I have nothing else. Hope sales pick up for everyone. 

Message 25 of 37
latest reply

Totally agree with annabelles-attic.  Seems like Sales came to an absolute crashing halt after the January 20th innaugeration.

Message 26 of 37
latest reply

@uncseniorsportsfan wrote:

New sellers are posting fresh listings which generally get a boost in search that has nothing to do with ebay being "manipulative".  Even as a long time seller, the vast majority of my new listings get more traffic (and sales) than items I relist.    The exception is auction listings which rarely get much in the way of traffic or sales period.  Over my two accounts my normal sell thru rate for new listings is close to 25% - for relists 5%.

My experience has been that if I list things regularly, I also sell things regularly.  I stopped listing anything new for a period of several months due to various reasons and my sales dropped like a rock as a result; when I began listing new items again in November, they picked up again and have been steady ever since.  Like you said, new items get a search boost, which also leads people to look at the other things you have for sale.  I for one notice an increase in views on ALL of my items after I list a bunch of new things.

Message 27 of 37
latest reply

@miyasamaco wrote:

Loo.ks like your number has finally come up. I suggest that you get while the gettings good. What I mean is transition away from here and decrease your exposure or you will lose big time. Ebayhas been rigging its search engine and everything else in order to favor large sellers of shiny new trinkets. 

I used to make around $1K per month here as just a little part-time fun thing. That stopped suddenly when they introduced their new search engine. Other sellers have the same lament.

Unless you are a big box store or a large China-based trading firm, you are not wanted here. I only have listings here when I get a free promotion. It's really too bad that the other selling sites are so lame.

I didn't read this whole thread so excuse me if I am repeating...

i think it is the search engine....it doesn't work & something else more 

critical. 

I used to be an expert at finding things on ebay....I could find exactly what I was looking for in under 2 minutes ? or less...

yesterday I was searching for a Cast iron door stop....a particular one....

could not find it. spend 30+ minutes and finally found something I wanted.

so its one of two things...

the sellers are gone ; the cool sellers that sell unique items 

or the search engine is messed up.

its probably a combination of the two.

so sad.....ebay is broken

Message 28 of 37
latest reply

Same here, my sales were GREAT up until Jan 17th and from there on out not a single sale, 3 weeks.
Message 29 of 37
latest reply

AGREE! This is scary as I have never experienced an ABRUPT stop in sales (for 3 weeks) in the 15 years I've been selling on eBay...
Message 30 of 37
latest reply