cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales are way down. Anyone have this happening too?

Hi all,  

We have been sellers on Ebay for well over 15 years.  We have a small business out of our home.  We sold over $75,000 last year on Ebay and were on track to sell over $100,000 this year.  Our average monthly sales are right around $6500 - $10,000 a month.  That was until last month.  (July 2018) Total sales - $2900.  This month we are at $3100.  I don't see us selling close to our average.  

I was wanting to know if Ebay changed some things, are long time sellers seeing the same trend or is it just the summer slump? 

Thanks 

Paula 

Message 1 of 228
latest reply
227 REPLIES 227

Re: Sales are way down. Anyone have this happening too?

here in nj we were a bit slow all summer. then august started out great but has dropped of during the past week. just the natural ebb & flow. hang in there everyone...

Message 16 of 228
latest reply

I am selling half of what I am use to selling.  

Message 17 of 228
latest reply

They charge the  monthly fee for the store and want more money to list each item.

Message 18 of 228
latest reply

I agree about ebay keeping a person from visability. They want free shipping but if you use the new way to get visability you get charged more for the shipping also.

Message 19 of 228
latest reply

I agree Ebay wants the sellers to do too much and now pay more.

Message 20 of 228
latest reply

Sales are down. Ebay wants us to lower our prices. Some sellers are giving their items away.  I feel they are worth more and that ebay does not know what they are worth. Now a person can not have sales all the time which also lowers the amount of people visiting my site.  The new promoted listing costs alot so if it continures I will go to Etsy because the cost is about the same.

Message 21 of 228
latest reply

I do not see any changes to help the sellers

Message 22 of 228
latest reply

No my sales are way down and I have done everything they ask except promote my listings.

Message 23 of 228
latest reply

I called ebay today because I have had five consecutive days with no sales between two accounts. I sell mostly women's tops and men's shirts among hard goods. The customer service was very helpful (really, I know, surprise). My major category has had a seasonal deline the last couple of months across the board. They assured me though by making it clear that I am already doing everything I can to make the sales. I don't do promoted listings, nor free returns. I am getting good visibility and views and even watchers. I am still shocked at the decline, but a bit more reassured not to give up.

Summer sails for you like a Midsummer Night's Dream!
Message 24 of 228
latest reply

@ombra  What main categories do you sell in?  Its always helpful to post that if possible ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 25 of 228
latest reply

I have been a seller on Ebay since the late 90's. It has always been a firm belief of mine that Ebay manipulates the search engines. Over the years some months sales were high, then other months very low. However, no years have been as bad as the past year.  One of the questions both my sister and I have asked is why do we only sell to certain states?  I routinely sell to California, East coast and occassionally to Nevada and Texas. Why have I never sold to Idaho, North & South Dakota, New Mexico, Missouri, Missisippi, Arkansas and the list goes on.  No one at Ebay can answer that question. I lost my Top Rated seller status this year because I was sick in December and didn't send out 4 items on time.  This is the reason to take my Top Seller Status away?  Give me a break. I also used to sell frequently to the UK, Japan and Australia. I have had no sales to any of these countries in almost 2 years except today I finally sold something to the UK. Not sure what the answers are anymore, but rest assured EBay is not the place it used to be. Sellers are inferior people unless you have thousands of items.  I wish there was a forum where EBay would really listen to what we have to say.

Message 26 of 228
latest reply

Yup, because now despite the fact you pay a store fee AND listing fee, if you don't pay extra when you list to "boost your listing" when they suggest you to do it, at the bottom of your listing (when listing a new item), then you get burried way in the bottom of the search results. Only people who pay extra will see their listing displayed correctely. Welcome to new eBayzone 2018 (eBay who tries to be Amazon).

Message 27 of 228
latest reply

@summersails4u wrote:

I called ebay today because I have had five consecutive days with no sales between two accounts. I sell mostly women's tops and men's shirts among hard goods. The customer service was very helpful (really, I know, surprise). My major category has had a seasonal deline the last couple of months across the board. They assured me though by making it clear that I am already doing everything I can to make the sales. I don't do promoted listings, nor free returns. I am getting good visibility and views and even watchers. I am still shocked at the decline, but a bit more reassured not to give up.

I think most sales are down for many of us. I did an extensive search and also talked to Ebay. With clothing the 'International" sellers (who I never buy from) now have warehouses in USA, and they use those USA addresses. So if I try to sort by just USA those International sellers come up, too, but we don't know they're really not in the USA. Some have thousands of items with brands I've never seen and have the cheapest prices.  How can anyone compete with that? 

One of Ebay's reps told me that if I had excellent feedback and the Top Rated Seller emblem I would be on the first few pages of a search - not true! I tried the free returns on a couple of items but that didn't do anything.

You are right.  In my opinion, it is those who 'pay to play' through the Promoted Listings who will be at the top for viewing, along with those international sellers who have thousands to sell (who I talked about). They don't 'pay to play' though, or accept returns, or answer questions from Buyers even.

"In the end, only kindness matters."
Message 28 of 228
latest reply

The re-entering my password is a pain in the butt.  It happens so many times a day, I get fed up & just don't list like I used to.  eBay used to be easy.  Now with the password issue, the new seller hub & sales being down, not sure if it is worth the effort.

Message 29 of 228
latest reply

I agree. They do not back up their sellers. I have had more than my share of buyers who threaten me right out of the gate. They want their money back & to keep the item. Then they leave neg. FB anyway. Just not fair.
Message 30 of 228
latest reply